Homesickness going

hondalee12

A few weeks ago I posted on here about how homesick I was and the fact that I had left everything in the UK. I received some fantastic advice from lovely people on this forum and thank you for your posts/messages.

I have been here for around 2 months nearly now and I can say that the homesickness is starting to go. I do get the odd teary moments once - twice a week but not as bad. I don't really have any fantastic advice I can offer to people about being homesick but all I can say is that it will takes its toll the first few weeks, but just knock it on the chin. Things do become easier and you will slowly be happier, but at this moment in time my heart will always be in the UK.

It is a terrible thing being homesick and devastating, and like me you will think have I done the right choice the minute you arrive. The saying goes 'if a job is worth doing, then its worth doing well', so just give it your best shot.

I speak to my Dad by texts or calls on this mobile phone application called Viber. Blackberry, Android, iPhone-iPad have Viber in there app stores to download for free. Viber does not cost anything, but it does use your internet allowance. If I am in the house I connect to wifi, or if you have a internet allowance then its fine. You can text, talk, send picture messages free and it works just like a normal phone. Not many people may know about this but that is one way I can communicate with my Dad 24/7. You can have as many people as you want on Viber, but the only downside is that THE other person must also have Viber in order for it to work.

Skype works well too and is totally free to see each other on cam, and then again MSN, or emails works totally fine.

I hope that this thread will have been somewhat some help to somebody :)

Guest Guest16631

.........so pleased to hear your feeling better about things..............and the help on communication will be invaluable to many .............as missing family and friends to talk to ................is high on the list of why many feel so homesick................hope your new life continues to get better and yourself feel more settled............all the best to you.............tink x

Guest The Pom Queen

So pleased you are feeling better, it is hard at first, but well done for hanging in there, hopefully it will get easier for you now

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Best of luck, I fear that my wife and kids will suffer homesickness when we go, it's not something you can equate, until you actually get there, I hope it keeps easing hoff for you, all the best.

Guest Guest26012

Homesickness can creep up on you at any time even after a few years! It's just not as severe! Good to know you are feeling better!

Glad to hear your homesickness is going but unfortunately for some it can hang around for years. Unfortunately for me after nearly 9 years away (3 years in Oz) e-mails, texts and skype no longer do it for me or my family, its just not the same. I'm sick of waiting for people to wake up in morning and vice versa, I want real contact with real friends and family.

Good luck with your Australian adventure!

Guest guest36187

Homesickness never leaves you. I can vouch for that almost eight yrs in. It only takes events such as grandchildren born etc to pull the strings!

I arrived in January with hubby and three kids and have been feeling homesick. But seeing the Olympics on the television everyday is not helping me at all. I just wish I was there witnessing this event in UK history.

Guest trasi

i'm dreading the homesickness..... more so for my kids tbh...... we go in 3 weeks to NSW, and i dont think anything can you prepare you for the pull on the heart strings :sad:

I read all these threads about being homesick.....Its family you miss and friends....the reason why most of us are here is because we want a better life, and the future did not look that good in the UK when we applied....The heart strings was all ways going to be the hardest one to get over, and that will never go away. This country has so much to offer, you have just got to look in the right place for it and you will find what you came here for...Your family and friends cant give you good life thats why you looked elsewhere to start a fresh......you just have to learn how to cope...DONT FORGET MOST OF THEM ARE AT THE END OF A TELEPHONE OR COMPUTER, so having conversations with your family and friends is allways possible...

Guest clarejane

Good one!!! everything you say is spot on! homesickness is something you have to wait out...ive been here 17 years on and off!!! and i suffer from it. mine is easing too but its still naggs me from time to time! best of luck with everything!! x

Strangely it's my 4 year old who is suffering the most. We've been here just gone 6 months now and she cries and asks to go back to England at least 4-5 times a week (usually in tears in the early hours). Or we'll be out doing something fun and she'll start crying and say that whatever she's doing would be so much better if so-and-so was with us (always a friend from the UK) - heartbreak or what?? Don't know what to do anymore we've tried more Skype and calls, we've tried less. I know that in time this will settle but let me just say for right now, it is so very hard :((

hey julz, do you mean your in uk and away from Aus? or you in brisbane? im in brisbane too!!! clare.x

clarejane - I'm in Brisbane too, moving back home to UK in December.

I spent at least the first 8 months just wanting to get back on a plane home to the UK, then suddenly one day it did not seem so bad. skype is my saviour! i still get really down days, especially around family events, but have to think about why we did it and need to give it time. been here just over a year now. looking at moving interstate as have visited different areas and felt more at home. good luck to everyone feeling home sick as i know its sooo hard!

Glad you are feeling better.

I wonder why homesickness improves for some people and not others?

Is it because some people get to like where they are and therefore slowly start to think less about "home" as their new home becomes Australia?

Personally I was scared of losing my homesickness feeling as I realised for me it would mean I was forgetting about everyone I love back in the UK. Its a really tough situation. I suppose you have to allow yourself to settle in Australia.

Glad you are feeling better.

I wonder why homesickness improves for some people and not others?

Is it because some people get to like where they are and therefore slowly start to think less about "home" as their new home becomes Australia?

Personally I was scared of losing my homesickness feeling as I realised for me it would mean I was forgetting about everyone I love back in the UK. Its a really tough situation. I suppose you have to allow yourself to settle in Australia.

The thing is eventually there is nothing there .............i have close family in Oz , and when a visit to the U.K is announced i look on it with dread,not excitement ......its a pain in the ar,e when they visit ......the ties have gone .

Iam sure you havent been there long enough for this to occur , and i hope this isnt your situation .

I have spoken to 2 different people recently ,who had close relatives , both poms , visiting from OZ ,and they were dreading it.

We have the situation where the visitors start giving advice on" how to look after our elderly MOM " ........whats best for her ......whats right and what isnt .......WITH OUT EVER PUTTING A SHIFT IN FOR THE LAST 25 YEARS .......

ITS UNPRINTABLE WHAT I SAID ..........i POINTED IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF THE AIRPORT .

I arrived in January with hubby and three kids and have been feeling homesick. But seeing the Olympics on the television everyday is not helping me at all. I just wish I was there witnessing this event in UK history.

We arrived in january this year also and I am only now just starting to feel a little better, the homesickness was awfull, missed everyone and everything including really stupid things that used to get on my nerves in the UK. 6/7 months in and I am now starting to enjoy the weather and lifestyle, obviously still miss family and friends the same but I am now just trying to embrace all the reasons we came here for. I am going back to the UK in October for a short vist as my Dad has been poorly so really need to see that he is ok, will probably put me back again when i return but to see my lovely parents it will be worth it.

Good luck to eveeryone on here as it is really hard to begin with and it isn't something you can really understand or factor in till you get here.

Archived