Oz Expenses snap shot

whoiam

Hi Everyone.

I've been trawling all over Pio scavenging the various expenses threads. I'm going to put a breakdown below--pls correct me if I'm way off the mark.I'm sure it will be of help to someone!

Rent--Anything from abt 350-1100/wk depending on where you live.

Car -

Pink slip -35

Rego - 300 /( 637 in Melbourne)/ 450 in Perth

Ins -500-900/yr

CTP - 450/yr

Petrol --200-300/m varies with what u drive and how much.

Electricity/gas -- 330 - 660/qtr--Again varies widely depending on usage and house I guess.

Internet + Landline --- 70 -160/m(100 seems to be the average)

Television cable --- 40-70/m Cheaper as bundle

An excellent package of the 3 bundled together is available for about 215.Upto 320 if a full package of foxtel is bundled with Internet , landline and mobile.(Telstra).

A great link on more latest info here.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/155757-cant-get-telstra-internet-no-credit-history-oz-3.html

Mobile -- 10-30/m

School fees ---- 400-700/m for 2 kids approx.Could be nil as well if using public school on PR visa.

Extra classes -- about 150-600/qtr for 2 kids depending on classes enrolled

Food-- 150-450/wk for family of 4-5.

Health ins---- 140-300/m for a family of four.

Amb cover-- 100/yr/family

I'm not entirely clear about CTp--does it vary with the type and make of vehicle? and also rego--does that too vary?

Any and every input will be much appreciated.

Edited as more data is becoming available.

Guest trasi
Hi Everyone.

I've been trawling all over Pio scavenging the various expenses threads. I'm going to put a breakdown below--pls correct me if I'm way off the mark.I'm sure it will be of help to someone!

Rent--Anything from abt 350-1100/m depending on where you live.

Car - Pink slip -35

Rego - 300

Ins -700-900/yr

CTP - 450/yr

Electricity/gas -- 330 - 660/qtr--Again varies widely depending on usage and house I guess.

Internet + Landline --- 70 -160/m

Mobile -- 10-30/m

School fees ---- 400-700/m for 2 kids approx.Could be nil as well if using public school on PR visa.

Food-- 200-350/wk for family of 4-5.

health ins---- 140-200/m for a family of four ???not sure here-input required.

I'm not entirely clear about CTp--does it vary with the type and make of vehicle? and also rego--does that too vary?

This is fab, thanks for doing this.

Excuse my ignorance but what is :

car- pink slip ?

Rego - ???

Insurance - is this car insurance ??

CTP - ???

Thanks XX

This is fab, thanks for doing this.

Excuse my ignorance but what is :

car- pink slip ?

Rego - ???

Insurance - is this car insurance ??

CTP - ???

Thanks XX

To be quite honest I too am not sure of them all. Insurance is car insurance , rego is something to do with tax and ctp is compulsory thrid party ins as far as i know. hope someone will be along to clarify.Pink slip is MOT equivalent for cars above 5 yrs old I think.

th

Hi Everyone.

Car -

Pink slip -35

Rego - 300

Ins -700-900/yr

CTP - 450/yr

Internet + Landline --- 70 -160/m

Mobile -- 10-30/m

Health ins---- 140-200/m for a family of four ???not sure here-input required.

Can't comment on most of these as I'm not in Aus until next Friday, but the rego and CTp costs seem about what my OH paid but he got insurance for just under $500 for a mazda by shopping around. And I think the pink slip doesn't apply in SA.

Car registration in Melbourne is $637.00, just opened my daughters account for this year, she has a tiny two door toyota car. Then she pays about $516.00 for Comprehensive insurance on rating 1.

We pay a lot more for Foxtel, we also pay more for health insurance, it depends what level of insurance is taken out.

Car registration in Melbourne is $637.00, just opened my daughters account for this year, she has a tiny two door toyota car. Then she pays about $516.00 for Comprehensive insurance on rating 1.

We pay a lot more for Foxtel, we also pay more for health insurance, it depends what level of insurance is taken out.

Thank you petals for your valuable input. Do you mind sharing what u pay for foxtel and health insurance please. I could update my list then.

We have two boxes and full Foxtel so its about $130 a month. We have it in a package from Telstra with phone, ADSL2, my mobile and its about $320 a month.

Health insurance we are paying three grand a year, and with the out of pockets for my knee replacement that comes to six grand this year.

Is that rent pr month?

should be per week....

I have read some peoples electric being upto $1000 a quarter, some from Dh work was around that this quarter.

Food can vary from $150 pr week ( my friend is a family of 4) to $450 a week. Ours is around $400 a week (family of 6)

Hi Everyone.

Car -

Pink slip -35

Rego - 300 /( 637 in Melbourne)

Ins -500-900/yr

CTP - 450/yr

Internet + Landline --- 70 -160/m(100 seems to be the average)

An excellent package of the 3 bundled together is available for about 215.

A great link on more latest info here.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/155757-cant-get-telstra-internet-no-credit-history-oz-3.html

Mobile -- 10-30/m

Health ins---- 140-300/m for a family of four ???not sure here-input required.

Is that rent pr month?

should be per week....

I have read some peoples electric being upto $1000 a quarter, some from Dh work was around that this quarter.

Food can vary from $150 pr week ( my friend is a family of 4) to $450 a week. Ours is around $400 a week (family of 6)

Thanks for pointing out. Should've been per week. Now edited.

Ours is

Rent 500 week

Car rego 450 year

Health cover for 2 is 150 month

Electricity approx $6 per day!

Car insurance 60 month

Foxtel 130 month

Broadband 100 month

Mobile phone 70 month

is that all you pay for what about food and fuel?

$450 a week on food? Jesus...

I think it's certainly possible. Our "grocery" budget/spend is about $400 a week but that includes stuff like toiletries/cleaning/washing/laundry things and also minor DIY stuff like bulbs, batteries, bits and pieces of stationery etc. Basically anything you buy in a supermarket, butchers, fish shop, greengrocer

Motoring costs are a funny one as they vary wildly from state to state depending on how the state law works regarding compulsory third party insurance, and whether or not it is included in the registration fee

I believe (@ the OP) you are looking at NSW? Here for motoring you will have to budget for:

Rego - varies depending on car size. $360 for most average cars, more for SUVs

CTP (green slip) - you have to buy seperately in order to get your rego, from one of the insurance companies. Not cheap, $350-$600, quotes vary

Other insurance (comprehensive or anything else beyond CTP) - on top of that again. Not compulsory, as a new migrant you'll do well to get it for less than $800 for an average car

Pink slip (vehicle inspection) - like an MoT in the UK, a basic check of vehicle safety. I think it's $65 or so (plus of course the fixing of any faults!), I don't know as you only need it for cars >5 years old and none of mine are

All info available from the website of NSW Road and Maritime Transport Services - www.rms.nsw.gov.au

Motoring costs are a funny one as they vary wildly from state to state depending on how the state law works regarding compulsory third party insurance, and whether or not it is included in the registration fee

I believe (@ the OP) you are looking at NSW? Here for motoring you will have to budget for:

Rego - varies depending on car size. $360 for most average cars, more for SUVs

CTP (green slip) - you have to buy seperately in order to get your rego, from one of the insurance companies. Not cheap, $350-$600, quotes vary

Other insurance (comprehensive or anything else beyond CTP) - on top of that again. Not compulsory, as a new migrant you'll do well to get it for less than $800 for an average car

Pink slip (vehicle inspection) - like an MoT in the UK, a basic check of vehicle safety. I think it's $65 or so (plus of course the fixing of any faults!), I don't know as you only need it for cars >5 years old and none of mine are

All info available from the website of NSW Road and Maritime Transport Services - www.rms.nsw.gov.au

Thanks North shorepom for that info--kind of clarified the vehicle bit of the post. Wonder why they colour code their sl:laugh:ips???

It can be confusing as in some states (notably Victoria), the CTP schemes are state government adminstered and the costs collected through the rego. Here you have to buy it separately. Sadly this doesn't mean your rego is cheaper.....

Also I forgot one. When you buy a car in NSW you have to pay stamp duty on the purchase to change the rego into your name. I can't remember how much it is but it's a percentage of the purchase price, maybe 1% or 1.5%? The website should have it

It's annoying, but these taxes are a large chunk of the money the state government receives. NSW is strapped for cash the moment and as most of their money comes from GST redistributed from the federal government (flat retail market so pretty low, plus constant NSW whinging about the proportion they receive) and stamp duties (flat housing market so very low receipts) they won't be dropping them any time soon

In SA, ctp is included in the rego, and pretty sure we don't have a pink slip, iirc the only time a car has to be inspected is when it's sold, and it's ridiculously easy to pass.

ctp is compulsory third party insurance. it covers injury to a third person, but not their property, so if you rear-end a BMW, the driver's whiplash will be covered, but not the car, hence the need for additional car insurance (which can be just third person property, or the full works to cover your own car too).

In WA we don't have any of these coloured 'slips'. You pay your rego every 6/12 months and stamp duty on the purchase price of the car, no inspections or anything needed throughout the year or when you sell. If you got stopped by the police and they found an obvious fault with the car (such as a huge crack on the windscreen) then you'd have to 'go over the pits' which I assume is similar to an MOT to get the car back to roadworthy again. Seems like a crazy system to me.

Our bills, for a 2 bed furnished unit quite close to Perth City:

Rent $450 per week

Broadband $40 per month

Mobiles $30 each per month (PAYGO)

Food $100-$200 per week

Foxtel $91 per month (everything apart from Movies)

Gas $85 every 3 months

Elec $120-$160 every 3 months

Rego $290 every 6 months

Fully Comp Insurance $450 per year

4WD Club WA $140 per year

Petrol $110 every 2 weeks (stupid 4WD drinks fuel!)

• 3 weeks later...
In SA, ctp is included in the rego, and pretty sure we don't have a pink slip, iirc the only time a car has to be inspected is when it's sold, and it's ridiculously easy to pass.

ctp is compulsory third party insurance. it covers injury to a third person, but not their property, so if you rear-end a BMW, the driver's whiplash will be covered, but not the car, hence the need for additional car insurance (which can be just third person property, or the full works to cover your own car too).

Which Suburb are you in if you dont mind asking? I was looking for close to the city once i can find a suitable job placement, and curious on average costs (to better help negotiate a salary, when the time comes).

Right now i pay the following in Canada (use the 1:1 ratio for exchange) for a 1 bedroom 72sq meter condo in a nice neighbourhood, 15km or so from CBD.

Rent : $1000 / Month ($250 week)

Gas : $75 avg / Month (winter it's brutal)

Water/Elec/Sewer : $150 / Month

Food : $400-500 / Month

Broadband : $55 / Month

HD TV : $95 / Month

Mobile : $90 / Month (6gig data plan, etc)

Registration (yearly) : $90

Fully Comp Insurance : $1900 / year. (and that's with a GD 10 year impeccable record!)

Gas / Petrol : Same. Current price is $1.19 a liter here.

Then add 5% tax to everything, as our federal General Sales Tax.

The only thing we do not have here is inspections, so every white trash loser can be hauling ass down the highway spewing black smoke everywhere until the thing breaks down or explodes. Partly due to the fact that you need a vehicle to survive here, without good transportation networks that Oz seems to have better of. Is your Rego and 3rd party for a newer vehicle or do the insurance companies mostly base price based on years claim-free etc?

Just thought I would add in Vic Car rego for a standard vehicle light is currently $232.30 the you have the tac charge wgich is done on your current postcode when the car will be, you have a high, medium, Low risk so price depends on where you live. If you buy a new car you have stamp duty which is 2.5% (if car cost 15,200 stamp duty is $380, if you buy a second hand car it 4%, If you buy secondand pink slip is needed. If you puchase a new car if its over a thresshold you will also have to pay luxury car tax

Archived