Is it worth spending life savings to get to Australia?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest sh7t man no way

whats in a dream--to me its best you leave yourself a get out of jail card,and put some money aside just in case things don't work out,this may elevate some pressures you may incur at the start of your journey in a new life---still nothing ventured nothing gained--but that philosophy may have a price to pay who knows

Guest sh7t man no way
Your obsessed with me.
i love you jim--but obsession is a bit to much--mind you i think PBs after your butt--:wink:

anyway back to the thread,and not members foreplay me thinks:daydreaming:

We were faced with this decision, sat down, done all the research............. we fly out to oz on a 176 visa in just 11 days time!

I say go for it, life is what you make it, and is way too sort to live with the what if's.

We haven't taken the decision on a whim however, we have been over to oz to see what we thought, we have two children so looked into everything and looked again!

but, we are comfortable in the fact that oz offers what we want out of life and the UK unfortunately doesn't.

Do what you think is right for you and your family, I wish you every success and happiness for the future.

I have lived here 27 years and I promise you there is no grren grass over here its mainly brown and dry. I like Australia so Im not a hater BUTI promise you most of what has been said on this thread is not true , PLEASE PLEASE move here with care I know its natural to want better but with all its faults ( and Ive been back many many times for hols and extended periods ) I would move back to UK in a heartbeat and will when I can.... Just think about it its a long long way from anyone and anything .....

Guest Ptp113
I have lived here 27 years and I promise you there is no grren grass over here its mainly brown and dry. I like Australia so Im not a hater BUTI promise you most of what has been said on this thread is not true , PLEASE PLEASE move here with care I know its natural to want better but with all its faults ( and Ive been back many many times for hols and extended periods ) I would move back to UK in a heartbeat and will when I can.... Just think about it its a long long way from anyone and anything .....

All the grass round here is green and has been for nearly two years, and same on my recent trip by car through VIC to Melbourne and up to Coffs Harbour last week. And it sure ain't "a long long way from anyone and anything", ever heard of NZ or Asia? An odd post indeed.

think u answered your own question melbourne is a great place still depends which part very foody sort of place queensland is nice but pay not as good... ive seen people got back to uk 4 a holiday then sell up go back and within a year they r back here if ur willing to work can do well here good luck

To the OP, I am in the exact same boat. We decided that the UK was better for those with not much money, like us (actually, we do alright - it's the crippling nursery fees which are doing us in). After moving to Oz, we'd have no savings left. We have a 6 month old and a 2 year old. So, we decided to stay.

Now our rental home is on the market to be sold by the landlord and we're viewing hugely overpriced flats with no gardens, nor parks within a walking distance. Properties to buy in our affordability keep getting snapped up by buy-to-letters. And I'm sick sick sick of all the doom and gloom. Closing libraries?! Classrooms in ex-Woolworths stores? Is this a country I want my kids to live in? I'm starting to think we're mad. Hence why I'm back reading posts on here. But it is a huge choice - we don't have a house to let out as a safety net. Or family to let us stay with them until we were back on our feet. If we did, NO QUESTION, I'd be there now. It's hard when it's an 'all or nothing' commitment. So I completely understand your predicament. But everyone's right - you need to make your own decision. Everything is relative. Someone else's heaven might be your hell. And, as your post illustrates, everyone is in completely different circumstances. Good luck!

Guest Ptp113
Are you saying that most PIO members posting on this thread are liars?

Exactly the way I read it. Let's put it down to confusion on their part

All the grass round here is green and has been for nearly two years, and same on my recent trip by car through VIC to Melbourne and up to Coffs Harbour last week. And it sure ain't "a long long way from anyone and anything", ever heard of NZ or Asia? An odd post indeed.

Yes I htink I have heard of NZ and Asia but they are hardly a drive away or a half hour plane trip costing 20quid. It is very hard to just get up and go somwhere out of Australia say for a few days... With all that Europe has to offer it doesnot compare. We are very isolated here which has its good and bad points. Compared with UK/Europe Australia by its very nature is a dry continent and at the moment we are lucky to have had enough rain to , as you say have some greenery .... I am not calling everyone a liar but there is a lot of "wishful" lol thinking going on - In my opinion. My post comes from genuine concern for people who are making a massive decision.

This country is home to some and not to others , I just dont like it when people feel they have to justify there time here by putting down the UK I am passionate about where I come from if that makes me odd then odd I am ...

Guest The Pom Queen
I have lived here 27 years and I promise you there is no grren grass over here its mainly brown and dry. ...

If you have lived here 27 years you will know this to be untrue, there are plenty of areas with lush greenery. It's sweeping statements like yours that don't help things.

Yes I htink I have heard of NZ and Asia but they are hardly a drive away or a half hour plane trip costing 20quid. It is very hard to just get up and go somwhere out of Australia say for a few days... With all that Europe has to offer it doesnot compare. We are very isolated here which has its good and bad points. Compared with UK/Europe Australia by its very nature is a dry continent and at the moment we are lucky to have had enough rain to , as you say have some greenery .... I am not calling everyone a liar but there is a lot of "wishful" lol thinking going on - In my opinion. My post comes from genuine concern for people who are making a massive decision.

This country is home to some and not to others , I just dont like it when people feel they have to justify there time here by putting down the UK I am passionate about where I come from if that makes me odd then odd I am ...

You will have to get used to people slagging off the uk mate as it js

people who leaving or have done to justify their move, can't blame them as they might not even like iz in the end.

Guest Shell15
I have lived here 27 years and I promise you there is no grren grass over here its mainly brown and dry. .....

you say that AND you live in the Blue Mountains..full of lush green grass..who you trying to kid. Fair enough your homesick but dont tell porky pies and spoil it for everyone else

Be careful, it's not all as brilliant as what people say and it's very hard after you have used your money and then have to survive on one pay! Been here 2.5 years and now saving up to go back! A lot of stress, heart felt pain and people and systems that are way way behind the UK. Left UK for a new life but it's been more of a struggle than life every was in the UK......

Guest The Pom Queen
I guess I have just had enough of sweeping statements made about the UK ... honestly hand on heart I have never seen "lush" greenery here ??

I presume you haven't travelled around Oz much then.

Yes well sweeping statements from either side don't help anyone.

It has nothing to do with been homesick , there are plenty of things I love about australia, I love sydney , I love the waeather in spring and autumn , I love the bush and find it very peaceful ... I will clarify my statment further then In comparison to the Uk Australia is not full of "lush greenery"