Human Resource Adviser/ Recruitment Consultant... anyone there?

Guest Jngkhlang

I would be careful about coming here as an HR person. I have met a couple of people recently who are in hr, once as a senior manager with senior qualifications, who are struggling to get interviews, not even jobs.

:( seriously? What about in other cities... like Adelaide or Darwin?

No idea about other cities as i am in perth, but just because a job is on the sol, does not mean you will walk into a job.

get in touch with recruiters who will advise if you are suitable for any positions. With no aussie experience or qualifications, it is extremely difficult to secure employment.

dont let them put u off tiger if its what u want to do. everyone was telling me there were no jobs (different field) and I should stay in uk but I got offered two within a few weeks of looking. maybe I was lucky but I would still prefer to be job hunting here over uk. maybe london different but mass unemployment in west midlands.

:( seriously? What about in other cities... like Adelaide or Darwin?

There is another thread running under Migration Issues covering HR which I have already put these comments on, but I thought I would add it on here as well in case anyone missed them...

I am based in Adelaide and there has certainly been a downturn in HR/Recruitment roles here. A lot of the big companies have reduced their HR numbers due to projects not going ahead etc so there are a lot of people chasing the jobs that have local knowledge and Australian experience.

I worked as a HR Officer in the UK and it took me a long time to secure a HR position in Adelaide. I personally found after undertaking Australian qualifications in HR/Training and gaining Australian work experience in related areas things started to progress.

I could talk about HR in Adelaide/Australia from now until Christmas ha ha!!!

I can only speak from experience of the Adelaide HR experience but I personally find HR does not have the credibility over here that it did in the UK, some of the attitudes and approaches are very different. It may be a different approach in Melbourne or Sydney. The HR job market in Adelaide tends to fall into the following categories - graduates are employed who have little if any practical experience but they can be 'shaped' to conform and don't know any different and people that slot into HR because they know someone or they have been at a company for a long time.

There are differences such as superannuation, work cover and awards and agreements and I can understand (having lived here 6 years and having now worked here in HR, recruitment and training) why poms would be overlooked for HR positions until they have Aussie experience. As an example for 2 HR positions I was interviewed for I had to complete a test. One was looking through a contract and spotting 10 mistakes and offering suggestions for what the answer should be and another was interpreting the company's agreement to answer a set of questions. I feel unless you understood the Australian legislation and ways of working over here you would struggle.

In Adelaide they can make you jump through hoops as there is plenty of competition for the jobs.

Edited by Jessica Berry

There are no HR jobs in Australia. Stay in Britain, where there are still lots of HR jobs. No point spending thousands of pounds to leave your job and an economy that's picking up with one that's declining fast.

I worked as an HR advisor for a year in Brisbane. Managed a small team as a consultant, and liked it so much I considered doing a masters in HR (no degree in HR). A senior HR colleague pointed out there are hundreds of grads flooding the market in Brisbane each year and only a very few jobs. Most will go internally and won't be advertised. HR roles here in govt require detailed knowledge of IR rules which are v complicated. I'd tread with caution definitely. Absolutely not a shortage of applicants up here and unemployment growing.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
New in this forum. finding it very helpful though. anyone can help me through the paperwork. what exactly document/paper you guys submitted?:confused:

Hi Kate

what stage are you at? Have you submitted skills assessment yet? That's first stage google vetassess it's all on there. It's a lot of paperwork etc but feel free to give us more info on your situ and we can provide more details.

Thx

kez

Not sure how positive this will be for those who are CIPD qualified as we all know experience takes precedent but this article confirms that the AHRI and CIPD are to mutually recognise each others qualifications.

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/10/09/2013/59640/cipd-and-australian-institute-to-recognise-each-others39-membership.htm

Not sure how positive this will be for those who are CIPD qualified as we all know experience takes precedent but this article confirms that the AHRI and CIPD are to mutually recognise each others qualifications.

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/10/09/2013/59640/cipd-and-australian-institute-to-recognise-each-others39-membership.htm

Thx Wozzie

This is really good news every little bit helps! Still waiting. O hear from vetassess though 14 weeks on....

Hi Kez, it's certainly a step in the right direction. We've just completed our meds - just need hubby to get to GP as his blood pressure was high but that should be it for us then. Shouldn't be too long now for vet assess.

HI Wozzie

Hopefully its making me nervous its been so long esp as they havent asked me for any further info!