A new name for South Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok what are your suggestions?

SOUTH Australia needs a new name and the public should choose it, the state's peak business group says.

The State Government has committed to rebranding our international image, but Business SA chief executive Peter Vaughan wants to take the make-over a step further and rename the state in a public contest. "Instead of mucking around with branding, if we're going to be bold and rethink our brand how about thinking of a new name for South Australia," he said. However, Mr Vaughan stopped short of giving his suggestion for a new name, instead saying authorities should tap into the creativity of the public.

If I remember many years ago there was some talk about renaming the Northern Territory 'Capricornia' if it became a State. Don't know about SA being renamed though. I do know that when I was overseas and people asked me where I was from I would say 'southern Australia' and they would say 'South Australia'? and I would say no, that is a State name, it does not refer to the whole region of southern australia (ie. the States which lie on the lower end of the continent - Victoria and Tasmania).

'

Guest Guest16631

..........or what about a tribute to a ,..... Famous.......south Australian.....?

......Gillardland........Gillardia.........?:wideeyed:

..........or what about a tribute to a ,..... Famous.......south Australian.....?

......Gillardland........Gillardia.........?:wideeyed:

Gillardia....? Sounds a bit close to Giardia....an intestinal infection caused by a small parasite....:biggrin::unsure:

Not sure how they came up with any of the other states' names: Queensland is just an example of bad punctuation - should be Queen'sland at least; Victoria - hmm, did the eponymous queen ever visit, or is it named after Victoria Beckham? The rest are as unoriginal as "South Australia". We have already used up quite a few queens' names for suburbs or council areas here in SA (Elizabeth, Adelaide) and a few explorers' names too (Sturt, Light) - perhaps as NSW is named after a part of Britain, then SA should take its name from a part of Italy, or Greece maybe? How about Eurasia?

Guest Guest9973
South Australia??

It's only there to keep the idiots in Vic from pinching some of WA to make Vic look bigger...

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. But brilliant snapper fishing, possibly the best in Australia.

Nice to know we have the best of something Bob !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest9973
Ok what are your suggestions?

SOUTH Australia needs a new name and the public should choose it, the state's peak business group says.

The State Government has committed to rebranding our international image, but Business SA chief executive Peter Vaughan wants to take the make-over a step further and rename the state in a public contest. "Instead of mucking around with branding, if we're going to be bold and rethink our brand how about thinking of a new name for South Australia," he said. However, Mr Vaughan stopped short of giving his suggestion for a new name, instead saying authorities should tap into the creativity of the public.

Ya mixing Minx,this will cause some abrasion.....................

Wistfully................. "New Yorkshire".

Practically - leave the bloody name alone. It will cost untold fortunes to change everything from signage to letterheads onwards. Big waste of money!

Spend it on effective promotion of what we already have!!!

Guest The Pom Queen
Ya mixing Minx,this will cause some abrasion.....................

Wistfully................. "New Yorkshire".

Practically - leave the bloody name alone. It will cost untold fortunes to change everything from signage to letterheads onwards. Big waste of money!

Spend it on effective promotion of what we already have!!!

and I was thinking you could change it to "Fishing Capital of the World" :tongue: