A new name for South Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Never understood how SA has ended up claiming Australia's wine crown. There are excellent vineyards in NSW, Vic and WA too.

Yeah.....the best ones I've found to date have been from SA though. But we're talking a very limited sample

Not sure how they came up with any of the other states' names: Queensland is just an example of bad punctuation - should be Queen'sland at least; Victoria - hmm, did the eponymous queen ever visit, or is it named after Victoria Beckham? The rest are as unoriginal as "South Australia". We have already used up quite a few queens' names for suburbs or council areas here in SA (Elizabeth, Adelaide) and a few explorers' names too (Sturt, Light) - perhaps as NSW is named after a part of Britain, then SA should take its name from a part of Italy, or Greece maybe? How about Eurasia?

Well....they were named by Poms....what do you expect.

I'll put my 6 bottles of Penfolds Grange up against anything from the Yarra Valley.

I haven't tried Grange but I am led to believe by people who have that most vintages are pretty ordinary - it's just famous because it is the most expensive wine that is ordinarily available in supermarkets.

Some of the big shiraz and pinot noir from the Yarra Valley would definitely do better.

Guest Guest9973
If NT joined with SA, it could be called 'The middle bit'.

It would spell "ANTS" - one of the few thing (apart from whingers) that really annoy me here!!!!!!!!!!!

What about Germania ? Or Vineland even.

The Germans having had such an influence over settlement in the state.....Ny Germania.........

Or back to the original name. Founded by the Dutch, the master of the vessel kindly gave his name.

Pieter Nuyts Land.........not bad or his ship was something like Guilden Zeepardt.....both winners no need to vote just push it through.

Dutch/German lessons will be introduced to make the new state stand out from the rest

SA initials as stands is of course South Africa to the world outside. Funnily enough a lot of them speak a form of Dutch as well......

Edited by flag of convenience

Guest Guest9973
Yes it may be and is but Saffies often refer to coming from SA........

Bit awkward as we who live in South Oz call our home state SA as well.

Edited by Guest9973