Best mobile phone company in Oz? And buy new Iphone before leaving UK or in OZ?

helent113

Two Questions:

* I am thinking of buying a new Iphone, would i be better buying it in the UK and taking it with me or buying in Oz?

* Any reccommendations for bext mobile company to use in Oz? (Im going to oz on a 457 visa so will take out a mobile contract)

Thanks!

Simple maths really...

Apple Store Australia: 32gb iphone 4s (Black) $899 (todays exchange rate at Travelex £1=$1.55) so $899 = £580

Apple Store UK: 32gb iphone 4s (Black) £599

So providing the exchange rate stays where it is now, its cheaper to buy it in Oz (£1:$1.50 is the break even point)

If you get a phone on contract in the UK, you usually have to clear the contract off before they will unlock it, also Vodafone UK and Vodafone Aus are 2 different companies so you will not be able to buy an iphone on Vodafone UK and put a Vodafone Aus simcard in until it has been unlocked

As for best mobile company to use in Oz, Ive always used Vodafone, had no problems, they promote 3 quite a lot over there but I have never used it

"Best" is a relative term.

In terms of coverage, Telstra is number one and Optus a close second. All the others are much more limited once you get outside main metro areas--and only your can decide how important this is to you. To put it in perspective, I live in a city of 100,000 about 100km west of Brisbane. I have good coverage all over the city on Optus and no black spots on the drive between here and Brissie. My step daughter used to use Vodaphone and had patchy coverage here in the city (her phone worked at the front of our house but not in the rear) and many big drop outs on the drive into Brisbane. In Brisbane, she was fine though.

In terms of cost though, Telstra and Optus will cost a bit more each month...and their customer service is, er, well like BT (if that tells you anything). The smaller, cheaper companies sometimes have better customer service--so you can complain about the lack of signal!

Like StevieF8 has shown it is much of a muchness if you buy in the UK or Aus. I know when i bout my 16gb in Aus it worked out $30 more expensive than in the UK at the exchange rate as it was back in Nov-Dec last year. Going off the 1.55 exchange rate the 16gb is cheaper in the UK witht he rest being cheaper in Aus. But there isnt that much difference. Personal choice I would say.

As for the providers Telstra certainly has the best coverage especially outside the cities (you will pay for it though), Optus....not too bad, and Vodafone were getting hammered when we were there in 2010-2011 regarding poor signals including in the citys. I believe they have since or are spending a lot of money trying to fix their coverage. Saying that we were with Vodafone as we got the best deal with them and it was ok.

I just renewed my sons contract with Telstra, and a 32GB iphone included in the package was $25 a month, and my other son got a 16gb included for $8.00 a month (they dont have this offer any more, i belive its now about $15.00 a month). They are both based on a 24 month contract on a $59.00 cap package. Its way cheaper than buying outright. The handset is subsidised if you lock in a contract.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lucky22

Hi all, just a quick question.. Can you take out a contract phone in oz while being on a WHV ?

I can give my brother in-laws address if that's needed. He's currently there on sponsorship and been there for 2 years now.

Any help guys..:biggrin:

Guest Lucky22

Hi all, just a quick question.. Can you take out a contract phone in oz while being on a WHV ?

I can give my brother in-laws address if that's needed. He's currently there on sponsorship and been there for 2 years now.

Any help guys..:biggrin:

I just got a new iPhone last week. I am on a $59 business plan (I have an ABN) with Vodafone, and for the iPhone 4S 64GB it is $15 per month for the handset. Vodafone don't have the best coverage, but for what I need it for (metro areas mostly) I think I got a good deal. I also got the first month $59 payment knocked off for joining a business plan. I use Telstra for my iPad and my mobile internet (pre-paid) because I only really need mobile internet when we are on holiday, and that tends to be in more regional areas.

Hi, I would get one in Oz. I've got a new iPhone from Voda and it will need to be unlocked to work with Voda in Australia. It just might be worth checking if the phone you buy in the UK will work in Oz without any changes. Silly I know, but phones can be funny things.

Guest littlesarah

It does depend where you live, work and travel. I live in an area that is only just 'regional' and only have to travel for personal reasons, so hubby & I both decided to get Virgin contracts. For $29 a month (more if you want a 'better' phone) we get $450 of included calls and texts, including international, and we can call & text other Virgin mobiles for free. For us, it's great value, but their coverage is via the Optus network, so not as good as Telstra.

But I don't know what their iPhone plans are like, because we both have droids...

Guest eddiezx6r
It does depend where you live, work and travel. I live in an area that is only just 'regional' and only have to travel for personal reasons, so hubby & I both decided to get Virgin contracts. For $29 a month (more if you want a 'better' phone) we get $450 of included calls and texts, including international, and we can call & text other Virgin mobiles for free. For us, it's great value, but their coverage is via the Optus network, so not as good as Telstra.

But I don't know what their iPhone plans are like, because we both have droids...

Hi littlesarah is Virgin OZ seperate to uk im looking at getting over in oct but just renewed my contract before i new about the move.

I just renewed my sons contract with Telstra, and a 32GB iphone included in the package was $25 a month, and my other son got a 16gb included for $8.00 a month (they dont have this offer any more, i belive its now about $15.00 a month). They are both based on a 24 month contract on a $59.00 cap package. Its way cheaper than buying outright. The handset is subsidised if you lock in a contract.

Sorry, what does this mean?

Archived