Warning for first time renters in oz....

mx44

Hi all

After getting stung by real estate agents twice now, im giving you all the heads up on how to avoid the bond deduction scam !

If possiable, after your application has been accepted ask the agent to meet you at the proptery and view it again with the agent present BEFORE handing over the bond or signing the rental agreement that way you can point out all the defects in person, this task is all most impossiable as they want your bond asap.

VERY IMPORTANT .... IF your agents there all the better....

Take photos of EVERYTHING..... stains on carpets (biggest money spinning scam ever ) windows + frames , door runners, marks on walls, cracked tiles believe me when i say everything because they will try and get you on something when you leave.

Dont tick the box on the condistion report if you disagree just because your happy you have finally got a house (like i did in the 1st house)

Put everything your not happy with in writing, dated and signed, and hand it to your agent along with the condistion report, i prob sound like a whinging pom here but i wish id done all this, would of saved me a small fortune in bond reductions.

Report every problem that arises and keep a record of when and who you spoke , im sick of hearing "oh we will send someone round" unless its a matter of life or death you wont see anyone !

hope this helps

Guest Guest69235

That's very useful information mx44!!! But wouldn't it be nice if we just had a list of 'good' agents who don't do all this? Or are there no good, recommended agents out there?

Guest Guest66881

Yeah we echo the above, we got 'stung' slightly when we handed back our rental.

They wanted $380 to clean windows that we had done ourselves (the week before)? and cut grass we had cut at around the same time.

We had photos of all marks and scratches from the beginning of tenancy, but they still wanted this from our bond.

We just gave in in the end and let them win, we had moved into our own house by then , but it did tell us of the underhanded scams they must all employ, that house was spotless when we gave the keys back, it was actually cleaner every inspection we had up to that point came back as excellent, hell the last inspection before they knew of our intentions to move on she was only there five minutes, said ' i wish they was all like this' and off she went.

Like the above as stated take as many photos of as many areas as possible, cooker tops/counters/doors/wall edges/glass/wall finishes/garden everything.

Guest Guest31881
That's very useful information mx44!!! But wouldn't it be nice if we just had a list of 'good' agents who don't do all this? Or are there no good, recommended agents out there?

Just remember that no matter how nice the agent may seem, they are working for the Landlord and are paid to look after his interests, Not yours, he is the client.

we rented twice in Melbourne and got full bond back no problem, so it can be done.

That's great for you, but for most people it is not possible. Most landlords will put in a claim for some bond just as a matter of routine - sometimes with particularly outlandish items on the bill that they can take off for you to make you feel better about what they leave on. Most renters are doomed to pay some or all of their bond money from the moment they sign the tenancy agreement and nothing they say or do (short of going to court) is going to change that.

When I talk of the differences between Australia and the UK, this is one example of what I mean. Australia has a very competitive society (despite the image it tries to give) and there is very little compassion in business. I'm not saying that as a good or bad thing, just a statement of fact. When I was aggrieved at losing part of my bond for spurious reasons, I was told that they knew what my salary was and how much a morning in court would cost. They told me that the bond I might save was less than the cost I would spend to get it and that I shouldn't take it personally, it's just business.

Not all real estate agencies should be tared with the same brush. But yes, good advice is photograph everything, document everything and don't sign the PCR until completely happy.

Lisa

Also note that you don't have to agree with the real estate's assessment of your bond return. You can lodge a claim with the relevant State rental tribunal if you don't agree.

You can, but as my estate agent pointed out, doing so is far more inconvenient for the tenant than the landlord - and since there is no penalty for the landlord if he or she makes a spurious claim, there's little reason for them not to do so. So long as they don't get too greedy and persuade the tenant that they are meeting them half way, they get away with it.

You can, but as my estate agent pointed out, doing so is far more inconvenient for the tenant than the landlord - and since there is no penalty for the landlord if he or she makes a spurious claim, there's little reason for them not to do so. So long as they don't get too greedy and persuade the tenant that they are meeting them half way, they get away with it.

What the real estate agent didn't point out is that tennants win more often than not when it goes to tribunal..

Good thread ~ totally agree....We lived in a rental only one month & have been stung just over $2000!! :shocked:

really kelly ....did u wreck the place lol .....that sounds way of ....id be contesting that one !!!!

mrs keily

Guest guest36187

Got our full bond back too. Our landlord run a whole complex and had a cleaning company they used. For 170$ they did the whole house top to toe, garden and cleaned all windows and carpets. That way we knew that there was no comeback as we had used their recommendations.

got all our cash back x

beware of all the hidden things aswell .....we were excellent tenants {just 2 of us } ...no children no pets ....kept house spotless .....infact majority of rooms werent even used ......unfortunately we had a break in .....real estates joiner put a new bolt on entrance door {they paid } ...all good UNTIL we moved out ....owner said he didnt want bolt on door ...and we have to pay to get it removed ....300 bloody bucks they charged us !!!!!!!!!! ...talk about taking the p*ss .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrs keily

really kelly ....did u wreck the place lol .....that sounds way of ....id be contesting that one !!!!

mrs keily

Id hazard a guess with a figure that big and only being there a month that she was tied into a 6mth lease so on breaking it, had penalities,fees and rent to pay.

Cal x

What the real estate agent didn't point out is that tennants win more often than not when it goes to tribunal..

I think my estate agent and I understood one another perfectly. We both knew that I would win at the tribunal but I would have a stressful morning off work, the hassle of getting to the tribunal, and have to take half a day's leave at a cost that was fractionally more than the money I would be fighting for. Meanwhile she woudn't suffer at all from going to the tribunal because it was her job to do so and would not suffer from losing the case on the day.

I think my estate agent and I understood one another perfectly. We both knew that I would win at the tribunal but I would have a stressful morning off work, the hassle of getting to the tribunal, and have to take half a day's leave at a cost that was fractionally more than the money I would be fighting for. Meanwhile she woudn't suffer at all from going to the tribunal because it was her job to do so and would not suffer from losing the case on the day.

Whereas the inconvenience of attending the tribunal would be a small price to pay; IMHO for the principal of not being bullied by an agent. How glad I am we move into our own house next weekend and hope to never be beholden to a useless property manager again.

Whereas the inconvenience of attending the tribunal would be a small price to pay; IMHO for the principal of not being bullied by an agent. How glad I am we move into our own house next weekend and hope to never be beholden to a useless property manager again.

If I had thought that it might make the estate agent even slightly unhappy, I would have gone to the tribunal. The reason I didn't was that she was simply so dispassionate about it - I was the only person going to lose. I have subsequently heard through work (in a directly related field) that this is the usual practice in Melbourne.

When I talk of the differences between Australia and the UK, this is one example of what I mean. Australia has a very competitive society (despite the image it tries to give) and there is very little compassion in business. I'm not saying that as a good or bad thing, just a statement of fact. When I was aggrieved at losing part of my bond for spurious reasons, I was told that they knew what my salary was and how much a morning in court would cost. They told me that the bond I might save was less than the cost I would spend to get it and that I shouldn't take it personally, it's just business.

----

OMG, this would be hell for me. My hubby would definately take them on as a point of principle - even up to losing money. Just hope it never happens to us!

Hi all

After getting stung by real estate agents twice now, im giving you all the heads up on how to avoid the bond deduction scam !

If possiable, after your application has been accepted ask the agent to meet you at the proptery and view it again with the agent present BEFORE handing over the bond or signing the rental agreement that way you can point out all the defects in person, this task is all most impossiable as they want your bond asap.

VERY IMPORTANT .... IF your agents there all the better....

Take photos of EVERYTHING..... stains on carpets (biggest money spinning scam ever ) windows + frames , door runners, marks on walls, cracked tiles believe me when i say everything because they will try and get you on something when you leave.

Dont tick the box on the condistion report if you disagree just because your happy you have finally got a house (like i did in the 1st house)

Put everything your not happy with in writing, dated and signed, and hand it to your agent along with the condistion report, i prob sound like a whinging pom here but i wish id done all this, would of saved me a small fortune in bond reductions.

Report every problem that arises and keep a record of when and who you spoke , im sick of hearing "oh we will send someone round" unless its a matter of life or death you wont see anyone !

hope this helps

I couldn't agree with you more. Most of the real estate agents I have come across are just crooks.

Our tennants in our property (in UK) have just vacated after 5 years. They have been excellent paying the rent on time etc. Our agent ticked off the list and said there were a few minor things. However, I would not have dreamt of not giving back their full deposit as they have been no trouble. Shame it is not the same in Australia. And before I get beaten down with the odd good real estate agent... this is a generalisation!

Edited by GreatToBeBritish

The UK now has a tenant deposit scheme. The deposit sits in one of 3 independant deposit scheme holders acount for the duration of tenancy. Landlord doesnt even see the deposit. At the end of the tenancy and the check out if the landlord feels that he/she is owed any money for damage/cleaning etc then he/she can only dispute that figure. The rest is returned to the tenant and the dispute is resolved by the scheme. The services of independent Inventory Clerks is now widley used. They conduct a thorough survey of the property, itemise everything including damage at check in and take photographs. The survey is done again at check out and both reports are compared. The deposit schem have final say. Tenant and landlord are equally protected.

Jack