How do indoor cats manage the heat?

vixxy666

Im always posting on here with my cat dilema's sorry im just struggling! My OH is in oz now and thinks they will struggle with the heat indoors if the aircons not on all the time and then the electric bills will be huge, also getting a rental is difficult. I've got people wanting to take my two boys but finding it hard to go through with it. There very big british shorthairs very dense fur not very active toddle round the garden if were out but other than that indoors all the time. Has any one got a similar breed in QLD or somewhere else in the summer to tell me that my OH is right and its just easier to make the decision as he's already away from them?

I need to feel like im doing whats best for them so i can hand them to a new home, i need to know i did everything right and wont regret giving them up as i really dont want to.

Thanks again for listening to this crazy cat lady!

Guest Shell15

I know what you mean, we worry our dog will find it to hot, indoor or out! We will probably put a paddling pool out for him to have a dip if he get hot (lol) also a lot of the floors are mostly tiled and this is very cooling for them as well. Just a thought..

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We stayed in the wifes cousins house in Perth in january and it was 35 plus outside, but inside it was coolthe house was huge with high ceilings, your cat wouldn't have a problem at all in my opinion, but having not lived there, so what do i know. Queensland does get more humid though.

Well, bear in mind that cats and dogs are very popular in Australia just as in the UK. People do have them and they survive the heat! I have two indoor cats who have never struggled with the heat here in Perth, Queensland is different I know but Perth can get very hot too. You provide cool fresh water for them, they find somewhere cool and shaded to nap (mine like the cool of the wood floors as opposed to the warm of the couch in summer). I have never seen them distressed by the heat.

Just my two cents but I know you're struggling with this decision. Maybe you feel you'd be better off re-homing but feel guilty? Please don't, they are animals at the end of the day and will be fine especially as you would leave them in good hands. Do what is best for you and your partner.

Guest Aussie in the UK

Thankfully animals are very adaptable! My parents (living in NSW) have four cats, two of which are long-haired, and they are fine in the heat. If they get too hot they just spend more time in the shade or lying with their bellies on the cool tile floors. We also had a long-haired dog (a Keeshound, kind of like a small Husky) and although she needed to be shaved in the summer she was more than happy splashing around at the beach on hot summer days.

I know this is incredibly obvious, but make sure to always leave water out for them, both inside and outside the house, and remember that the water outside can disappear in a few hot days through evaporation, so regularly top it up! As long as you have air conditioning (or even a decent fan pointed at the floor!) they will adapt and be fine.

:cute:

Guest sadiesmum

It really sounds like you are struggling with this decision Vixxy

:arghh:

They must mean the world to you as from what I have read on here you have gone back and forth with what you want to do.

If it helps when we decided to take our boy it felt like a weight was lifted as I finally knew that we were going to Oz as a family, I know I would be looking around for him if he didnt come, just through habit!

I worried about the heat too, but tbh he loves the heat, he will happily lay around on our heated floor all day. I think cats are generally very adaptable to their environment.

I think in terms of renting arent a lot of places flexible in terms of pet? If you explain they are indoor pedigree cats they might make an exception?

BUT if i had a good home that my boy could go to that would give me regular updates on how he is, and the possibility of us having him back if we ever did return I would seriously consider it. Its purely that if we didnt take him we would have to rehome him outside of my trusted family, and I just couldnt do it (thats not to say someone else wouldnt be able to love him as much as I do, you know what i mean).

I think time must be against you with the decision, make a decision and try and stick to it, whatever that decision is. Good luck

Thanks everyone id love to make a decision and stick to it and thought i had but then i know how much ill miss them especially doodle(picture) hes such a character, one of a kind. I dont want to rehome them but my OH is in qld and getting a rental is difficult so I think its going to be easier without but once were in and settled we'll wish they were there. I think its easier for him as he's away from them but hes asleep now so going to talk to him in the morning. I knew we would be leaving behind family and friends and was at peace with that but this is just awful. The fear of ending up moving back to the UK, as much as i dont want that to happen and will do everything not to I see the threads on here and it worries me and then we've lost them for nothing. Well at least i know they would be ok over there, and if aircons that cheap to run then there well being isnt an issue as many people bring there cats and there fine. So know its just rental issues so ill get me OH to speak to the agents and find out more. thanks for all your patience im annoying myself lol

Hi Just wanted to say if he's an entire male I will have him if you want to rehome him. We will be moving to Sydney so not as warm as QLD, if that helps at all I don't know.

I have just lost my girl :-(

FWIW many areas have a cat registration programme and specifically encourage neutering and spaying (desexing). They charge much cheaper fees for desexed cats (and dogs) than ones left entire. Also many areas have cat curfews etc. If you've an un neutered cat the risk of them straying and possibly ending up in the pound if caught in a curfew could be higher than if they are neutered. Worth looking into in the areas you are considering living in.

ETA link to City of Sydney pet registration info

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Residents/Animals/PetIdentificationLifetimeRegistration.asp

thanks snifter I've check and as my two boys are microchipped and neutered it's $6 each a year which seems cheap was expecting something ridiculous they will only sit in the garden with us under supervision so no worrys about they being out all hours. I've just emailed a load of rentals to see where we stand on cats I need to feel like I've tried everything :)

FWIW many areas have a cat registration programme and specifically encourage neutering and spaying (desexing). They charge much cheaper fees for desexed cats (and dogs) than ones left entire. Also many areas have cat curfews etc. If you've an un neutered cat the risk of them straying and possibly ending up in the pound if caught in a curfew could be higher than if they are neutered. Worth looking into in the areas you are considering living in.

ETA link to City of Sydney pet registration info

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Residents/Animals/PetIdentificationLifetimeRegistration.asp

Mine won't be leaving the house so no worries there but thanks for the info, good to know.

Vixxy, they are beautiful. My three are all house cats. Two were with us in Italy and we have never had aircon, not even in this house in Oz, only the bedroom has an inverter. During the day I keep the blinds and windows closed and the inside of the house remains much cooler than outside. They have not suffered one bit. My biggest boy is Fat Fred.... he is a chunky boy too :cute: Being the only English cat we were concerned for him, but he is perfectly fine. They roam about in the garden in the late afternoon/evening and as they are housecats they don't venture out.

Good luck with your decision..... X

Hi guys, the dilemma sounds an awful position to be in.

We have recently got a kitten, Scottish fold cross and she's beautiful.

She does not seem to bother about the heat at all and like others have said we keep all the blinds closed and it stays cooler inside. She seems to find colder spots too on the tiled floor.

I have never had cats before and we have decided to keep her as a house cat. She sits at the big patio doors looking out at the park we live on and seems happy enough.

I'm intrigued to know though how you allow your house cat to wander round in the evening outside and they don't jump fences and disappear etc?

I would love for Molly to be able to do this as I think it will give her a lovely balance.

Like I say I know nothing about cats so sorry if this seems like a really silly question!

There are PIOers who have found rentals with cats so it's not impossible.

Cats seem to cope with the heat better than we do - they can just sleep through it and wake up when it gets cooler.

As mentioned, they seem to find the coolest place in the house and just stretch out longer, like elastic! :biggrin:

We had 2 British Shorthairs in QLD, they managed no problem even without air conditioning. Lets face it, they are hardly the most active of cats.

Animals are pretty smart and will always find the coolest spot for themselves. Yours already has the required pose (ours used to lie like that in front of the fan, too cute) . Ours would sit right up next to the wood fire in winter, way too hot for me to sit there but they loved it, so I really wouldn't worry. Ours were always indoors too, never went out at all.

If you are coming to QLD you do need to consider the fact that there are paralysis ticks here, you might want to look into that if you haven't already. I'm not trying to scare you but it's something you need to be aware of if you are going to let your cats outside. Indoors is much safer on a lot of counts.

If the roaming question was for me, basically two were trained from kittens not to exit the property confines. They are happy to wander in the garden and know not to escape. The third rescue we got as an adult cat, he was in the wars and I think this makes him even more of a homebird. Even when it rains he won't go out! Just depends on the cats I think. I never let them out after dark anyway.

Hi guys, the dilemma sounds an awful position to be in.

We have recently got a kitten, Scottish fold cross and she's beautiful.

She does not seem to bother about the heat at all and like others have said we keep all the blinds closed and it stays cooler inside. She seems to find colder spots too on the tiled floor.

I have never had cats before and we have decided to keep her as a house cat. She sits at the big patio doors looking out at the park we live on and seems happy enough.

I'm intrigued to know though how you allow your house cat to wander round in the evening outside and they don't jump fences and disappear etc?

I would love for Molly to be able to do this as I think it will give her a lovely balance.

Like I say I know nothing about cats so sorry if this seems like a really silly question!

Our two are indoor cats. Tabitha is very slim and has short hair, but Molly has very dense hair and is far bigger, but the heat doesn't seem to bother her. They both just lay on the tiled floor to sleep rather than the sofas, and they are less active in the day/more active at night, but no other worries. I leave water for them all over the house too.

Thanks everyone lots of useful info especially the tick thing. My OH is struggling to get a rental at the moment so we've decided of he can get somewhere with cats we'll take them if he can't then that's gonna make the decision for us. I've advertised for a new home and had lots of responses but no1 who i feel comfortable with yet I want to cover all bases don't want to make this decision lightly. Thanks do much for listening I'm like a broken record!

Archived