On PR will I be treated as domestic student in Australian universities?

rackspace

As just a PR you have to pay up front and it's not cheap. I looked into doing a 4 year degree and it was going to cost $60,000! :swoon:

Far too expensive for me! But I wish you lick should you go ahead!

That's really weird because even the most expensive degrees (medicine, law etc) only costs a max of around $9500 a year for a Commonwealth supported place.

So a 4-year law degree will cost less than $40k.

What course costs $15k a year? You didn't confuse 'full domestic' fees with CSP fees, did you? 'Full domestic' fees are for students who don't make the academic grade for a CSP place and are 'buying' their way into uni. The great bulk of students only pay the CSP fees (even people with PR qualify for them).

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/fees/costs.shtml

That's really weird because even the most expensive degrees (medicine, law etc) only costs a max of around $9500 a year for a Commonwealth supported place.

So a 4-year law degree will cost less than $40k.

What course costs $15k a year? You didn't confuse 'full domestic' fees with CSP fees, did you? 'Full domestic' fees are for students who don't make the academic grade for a CSP place and are 'buying' their way into uni. The great bulk of students only pay the CSP fees (even people with PR qualify for them).

http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/fees/costs.shtml

$40,000 is still a lot of money to pay and when you take into consideration additional costs like books etc you are probably looking at near $60,000. This kind of money I don't have. I can go back to Scotland and being a Scottish national get my degree paid for me!

It's not rocket science what I'm going to do!

$40,000 is still a lot of money to pay and when you take into consideration additional costs like books etc you are probably looking at near $60,000. This kind of money I don't have. I can go back to Scotland and being a Scottish national get my degree paid for me!

So Scotland is ok for free Education. Will you move again once you get a degree for free?

So Scotland is ok for free Education. Will you move again once you get a degree for free?

Scotland is more than OK and for more than just education. I am at a stage in my life that I want to return to Education and should I decide to do this I have to decide whither I want it more or a life in Australia.

If I go back it will be for good.

Scotland is more than OK and for more than just education. I am at a stage in my life that I want to return to Education and should I decide to do this I have to decide whither I want it more or a life in Australia.

If I go back it will be for good.

would you have stayed in Australia if you got free education there though?

But you said a 4 year course costs $60k. It doesn't.

Most courses are way less than $9.5 a year. I only used Law as an example of an expensive course to illustrate how wrong you were.

Maths and Science costs $4.5k a year. Nursing and teaching cost $5.5k a year - so around $14-$16k in total to get a degree.

I would hate to think that people might have believed your incorrect information - so I'm just putting things right.

So really the reason your coming back is to take advantage of the Scottish system, none of this keeping your family together!

Not that its any of your business but my family are here in Australia and should I decide to return to Scotland I am fortunate that they have said they too will return to Scotland. I'm not doing it for my family though I'm doing whats best for me. There is no law against that.

But you said a 4 year course costs $60k. It doesn't.

Most courses are way less than $9.5 a year. I only used Law as an example of an expensive course to illustrate how wrong you were.

Maths and Science costs $4.5k a year. Nursing and teaching cost $5.5k a year - so around $14-$16k in total to get a degree.

I would hate to think that people might have believed your incorrect information - so I'm just putting things right.

Whatever makes you happy!

Not that its any of your business but my family are here in Australia and should I decide to return to Scotland I am fortunate that they have said they too will return to Scotland. I'm not doing it for my family though I'm doing whats best for me. There is no law against that.

No it isnt any of my business but am entitled to post my opinion if you decide to post a load of old fanny on an internet forum about keeping your family together and stuff, when the real reason is to get something for free, you have just said you might have stayed if you got free education in Australia - so would your family have too - will they follow wherever you get free education!

No it isnt any of my business but am entitled to post my opinion if you decide to post a load of old fanny on an internet forum about keeping your family together and stuff, when the real reason is to get something for free, you have just said you might have stayed if you got free education in Australia - so would your family have too - will they follow wherever you get free education!

Build a bridge and get over it mate!

Guest AKA63029

People have many different reasons for returning, can we stop the t7t for tat please.

One persons views are just that, but if it results in personal insults it has gone too far.

I'm doing nursing which is free in England this year for 3 years and then thinking about moving to aus, so what, let people do what they want.

Hi, am not saying not to do it, she is Scottish and stayed here long enough, what my point was is why say your reasons are for one thing when they are really for another. Enough said on this

I studied a two year diploma at TAFE. As an international student, I paid approx $10 000 for the first year.

After obtaining PR, I only paid $1 600 for the second year. Massive difference. 3 years is a long time.... you should weight up the pros and cons of studying abroad... ie. cost, travel experience, reasons.. ie, to get PR, migrate etc etc.

Some of my classmates loved studying in Australia, some of them hated it and went home.

Archived