Is it worth taking a low mileage car?

benj1980

I'm contemplating taking our family car to Oz. It is nothing spectacular but fits us all (7 seater) and has a low mileage. A bit of the paintwork has faded on one side and a couple of small scratches will devalue a resale. We have never had an issue with the car so it would be a shame to lose it. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth the hassle? Most people send over their toy/prized possession! I'm just trying to be practical and despite being pleased that we have a reliable car I have no affection for it. I'm very much an A to B person when it comes to cars and have very little knowledge of cars other than simple maintenance. Cars in WA are expensive I believe?

Hi Ben,

What sort of car are you looking to bring over? Contact Iron Lady for a quote to see if its worth it. If your moving to Perth it needs to have Air Conditioning otherwise sell it and buy something in Perth. Yes cars in Australia are expensive, especially second hand cars, compared to UK so if its a car you trust then even if the cost of bringing it over is similar to getting another car in Oz, at least you won't be buying someone elses problems they're trying to get rid of!

The short answer is it depends on how long you want to hold on to it for. If you want to offload it again after 12 months, then leave it behind. If you want to keep it for another 5 years, then yes it's worth considering. WA cars are more expensive in general, yes.

• 4 weeks later...

Also it does take a while so you will need another car either in the UK or in Aus whilst it is in transit and going through all the other checks.

We used Iron Lady imports to bring our low mileage much loved Audi TT. Did the sums and it was worth it just!

When I came here (10 years ago) I assumed I would buy a good 2nd hand car, prices were ridulous and I didn't like many of the used car dealers so I bought a new one, I liked the salesperson and they have a good service department.

I kept that car for 7 years and then traded it for another new car, from the same dealer, there was nothing wrong with my car, I am sure I could have kept it for another 10 years with no problems but something came out that I really liked.

I reckon I have been better off if I work out what the cost per year has been. The only expense is servicing twice a year.

My car has a 5 year warranty although many are now coming out with 7 year unlimited warranties. If your negotiating skills are good you should get plenty of free extras and discount between 10 and 15%.

Value wasn't the only reason I chose a new car, Australia is not a place where I want to break down. In the UK you are never far from civilisation and people who can help you, over here, even in populated areas, it can be a very long way between towns.

There are models here that you can't get in UK, the FJ Cruiser for example.

I wouldn't bring a UK car here, the environment is very harsh, cars in the Australian market are built to cope.

You can easily check out prices and models on-line so it's easy these days to work out comparitive costs.

By the way get white, in 40+c heat any other colour gets damn hot.

I'm contemplating taking our family car to Oz. It is nothing spectacular but fits us all (7 seater) and has a low mileage. A bit of the paintwork has faded on one side and a couple of small scratches will devalue a resale. We have never had an issue with the car so it would be a shame to lose it. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth the hassle? Most people send over their toy/prized possession! I'm just trying to be practical and despite being pleased that we have a reliable car I have no affection for it. I'm very much an A to B person when it comes to cars and have very little knowledge of cars other than simple maintenance. Cars in WA are expensive I believe?

I did my research last year for my reliable, low mileage, 4 year old Skoda Superb and it just isn't worth considering imo. Factor in that it will probably cost you about £5,000 in import costs all-in. Suggest you go on Autotrader website and webuyanycar or similar and find out what you will actually get for you car selling it before you go. Convert to AUD. Add on £5,000 ($10,000) and then look on some Aus dealer sites to see what that will buy you. I would be amazed if it wasn't a better car. Don't bother with European models as they are mainly going to represent poor value there I believe.