Sydney heatwave: Hottest December night ever recorded

Perthbum

43.2 here just now. Been that since just after midday.

It's the same down here in southern Sydney. The kids have had lots of iced water since they got home, we've been in the pool, they're now sat in a cold bath and I put some clean and damp bedsheets in the freezer for them for bed time. Our aircon isn't working, so we have a couple of fans for bedtime. It has been unpleasant, and I believe it is to be hotter tomorrow! I feel most sorry for our poor cats, there just isn't anywhere cool for them to go.

It's the same down here in southern Sydney. The kids have had lots of iced water since they got home, we've been in the pool, they're now sat in a cold bath and I put some clean and damp bedsheets in the freezer for them for bed time. Our aircon isn't working, so we have a couple of fans for bedtime. It has been unpleasant, and I believe it is to be hotter tomorrow! I feel most sorry for our poor cats, there just isn't anywhere cool for them to go.

Yikes! That sounds really toasty.

B

Well lkc ...its the coldest its been all winter ...early Feb

.up until now we haven't had an old style pommie winter.

November was colder than Dec - Jan ,which were mild .

Only 3c today ...dont know what's worse 3 or 43

Well lkc ...its the coldest its been all winter ...early Feb

.up until now we haven't had an old style pommie winter.

November was colder than Dec - Jan ,which were mild .

Only 3c today ...dont know what's worse 3 or 43

P.s ...we have that HIVE system with British gas ....a constant 21c in the property ...which helps

dont know what's worse 3 or 43

I do - 43. If its cold you can wear more clothes or add more bed clothes. Trust me I have nothing more to take off :)

Agreed. 43 with humidity = my idea of hell. And I've spent time in Canada and experienced -30! Still would not want to work outside in either conditions though.

P.s ...we have that HIVE system with British gas ....a constant 21c in the property ...which helps

I've seen these on the Money Saving Expert website, they look good. I will appreciate having easily controllable heating when we get back!

I worked a lot outdoors and hated the freezing cold and damp. Used to get chilblains and chapped hands and even my legs got chapped. Loved the job but loathed the winters.

With you on all of the above , I don't miss working in winter at all in the uk , must admit it's been as tough working in the recent temps

had a few half days since Christmas due to heat ,but it's a lot nicer to have a swim to cool off than sit in front of a fire to get warm

I worked a lot outdoors and hated the freezing cold and damp. Used to get chilblains and chapped hands and even my legs got chapped. Loved the job but loathed the winters.

Speaking for the west midlands ...6 mild winters in a row ....no days below freezing ....virtually no snow ...the winter has been almost acceptable ....coldest right now though ...still now biting winds ,all winter ...very still

Speaking for the west midlands ...6 mild winters in a row ....no days below freezing ....virtually no snow ...the winter has been almost acceptable ....coldest right now though ...still now biting winds ,all winter ...very still

I was in the Lake District for three years bunbury61 - beautiful place but my goodness - bitter winters especially if you are working outdoors - then I spent a winter in Norfolk - just outside Fakenham. I don't remember it raining much but a lot of snow that particular year. Was a lot of years ago though and perhaps the climate is milder now. Spent my childhood on a Scottish hill farm and by heck the winters there were harsh.

I was in the Lake District for three years bunbury61 - beautiful place but my goodness - bitter winters especially if you are working outdoors - then I spent a winter in Norfolk - just outside Fakenham. I don't remember it raining much but a lot of snow that particular year. Was a lot of years ago though and perhaps the climate is milder now. Spent my childhood on a Scottish hill farm and by heck the winters there were harsh.

Absolutely nothing like the winters of old now ....its cold this morning ....but there has been no ice and snow for the last 6 years here in the w.mids .....i have scraped ice off the windscreen probably 10 times this year .

There again not warm enough for golf tomorrow ,trudging around in 4c ...not good .

10c plus from midweek though ...which is more like it ...bloody hate winter