IKEA

Deb Moss

Hi

Any IKEA fans out there?

we are soon to be arriving in Canberra and I was delighted to see there is an IKEA just on the outskirts.

My question is Are the IKEAS like the London stores? Size wise/stock etc.

also, are they as good value as here in the UK?

We are in the process of deciding what to bring and what to buy over there.

Thanks

Try looking on their website. The Canadian website shows everything that's available and you can see which stores have stock (I think it even tells you what isle to find it in!).

I never step foot into that shop without knowing exactly what I want and where to find it.

IKEA have received a bad rap in Australia for overcharging - If you look at the UK price v Australian on the web site it can be quite shocking. The good point about IKEA is that although the quality is a bit dodgy, designs fit small spaces and can be very clever - this was useful for us in the UK where a 6ft * 8ft room for us had to double as study/spare guest room! But here the rooms are much larger - I am largely done with IKEA stuff as I rent and so have to move house every 18 months or so - it is not really robust enough to shift around....

Ikea generally have the same layout in all their stores.

Some of the stock in the UK isn't available in Aus. Mostly things like different covers for sofas, some furniture but mostly its the same stuff.

Given the current exchange rate, Aus Ikea is expensive compared to the UK. However, even when the rate was better I thought it was still on the pricey side, but cheaper than a lot of other options here.

As has been said, much of the Ikea stuff is designed for small living spaces. Most of the furniture just looks lost in the house (ie a big Ikea sofa seems small in our house and we use it in the family room as its far too small for the living room). I find it great for the small things, bedside tables, lights, bedding and so on but don't bother with furniture from there much anymore at all.

I love Ikea, bargains to be had and I find the prices great to be honest. We have recently bought 2 Ikea sofas for our family room (had to return one 3 seater and get a 2 seater as they were so big and overpowered the room.) Not all Australian houses are huge. Paid $1500 for the 2, they look great, expect them to last a few years. We have Ikea desk and chair, desk was in sale, chair average priced, few years old now, storage cube, rocking chair, 5 years old (one in most homes!) A couple of Ikea rugs, mattress on spare room bed, bedding, towels, pillows, cushions and covers, most of my glassware is from Ikea, my wok, a few pots and pans and crockery, pictures/prints, not to mention the candles...did I mention the candles?? I think Ikea Perth is brilliant value and there's a good range from basic to more pricey. Can't fault it to be honest. We mix and match more solid bigger pieces with Ikea stuff and I find the quality over and above the cheap end furniture stores in Perth like Super A Mart and Furniture spot.

We always go on a rainy day and have a hot dog and 30c cone at the end:) Good for freshening up your accessories on a budget too.

Size wise and stock, I find everything available to take away (mostly, my sofas had to be ordered in as colour not in stock) It's a massive place and they're open late most nights (till 9pm)

Edited by HappyHeart

IKEA works the same the world over - it's a core part of their business model

There is some variability in product range and variability in pricing, but the way it works is exactly the same, including look and feel of the stores. Like IKEA everywhere, there are decent mid-market products to be had and some cheap and flimsy stuff

Went to the Canberra IKEA yesterday and will be furnishing the granddaughters' rom in our place from there in a few days time. It wasn't as big as Lakeside or MK or Tottenham and there are some things which aren't available in Canberra but it's the same essentially. More outdoor stuff, less of a range with desks and probably wardrobes. Otherwise still not bad value for money. You could faff around Fyshwick at various outlets like Fantastic Furniture, Office Works etc and prices would be similar. We've got an IKEA kitchen and a fantastic 4m fitted wardrobe in UK and have been very pleased with them. Our challenge in Canberra is smaller rooms LOL!

Edited by Quoll

So nice to see I'm not the only IKEA fan! So many people are dismissive of it, but I think it's great. Living in Sydney, IKEA furniture certainly doesn't look lost - flats and houses are tiny in the inner suburbs, so the space-saving designs are really useful.

The exchange rate may have changed things but when I lived there, IKEA was often the cheapest furniture unless you really wanted to go downmarket.