Why are you moving back to the UK?

Guest Fuddymeers99

Guest Fuddymeers99

I have been doing a fair bit of research to find out if migrating to Oz... Is right for our family? Where to live etc.. It all seems mostly positive, but if Oz is supposed to be soooo great, why move back to the UK? I just want to get a balanced viewpoint and remove the rose tinted glasses I have. I think, for me, the worst thing would be missing family and friends, British history and culture and "oh bludi hell its hot today" (as I'm very fair and covered in freckles : -D)

So whats wrong with Oz then.. why hasn't it turned out to to be thr dream you expected.

:daydreaming:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gary12

Hi, we have been here 14 months and have no plans to return any time soon. However I just thought I would give my opinion as to why I think it may not suit some.

Money, various factors here, from the exchange rate to how expensive it is to being unable to get a job. We were fortunate that my husband got a job with decent pay, family friendly hours and a short commute. Our friends are not so fortunate, he hasn't worked for 6 months out of 12, for 3 of those worked nights and is now commuting to Sydney each week.

Missing people, for me it's my friends, it can be very difficult when there are situations that arise such as illness when you really want to be there but are unable to be. That for me is hard. My husband who has loved Oz from the minute we landed has even had a very short period of guilt/homesickness. I think that it's easy when you are in the UK to say you will miss nothing but until you have moved here you really don't know.

I don't miss things like the history of the UK because for me it is still exciting finding out about the place I now call home but again to some this is important.

We all have one common factor on PIO is that we all want to try something new in the hope of a better life. For some it is the best thing they have ever done others see it as a nightmare but having the courage to try it in the first place is something to be applauded.

If you have the chance to try something new in life why not take the opportunity?

best of luck

Michelle

I agree with everything Michelle has said.

Lots of people find it hard to find work once they arrive, and this can cause enormous strain because any money they may have had in reserve goes very quickly when you're trying to set up here. That's why I advocate bringing EVERYTHING that you are allowed to bring, who cares if it's seen better days, if you use it in the UK you will need it here too. It's very expensive to replace several things at once.

We were lucky too because my OH had a job to come to and we were lucky to find a rental we could afford without me being under pressure to find a job really quickly too - thank God that was the case because I still haven't got work 12 months later. I was a legal assistant in the UK and have lots of admin experience, but so many people are applying for the same sorts of work, it's a competitive market at the moment (as it is in the UK, of course).

I experienced terrible people sickness for a long time after we arrived, despite us having family come to stay in the first year. I cried without any apparent reason a great deal, and this was hard on my husband and kids, who all loved it from the start and didn't suffer at all with any feelings of homesickness. I was very committed to coming here and these feelings were very unwelcome and happened despite me knowing how lucky we were to have this chance in life, and realising the beauty of the country we had come to. Things are getting better for me now.

I hope this gives some insight into why some people can't settle.

Sue x

Guest chloew

I think for me it is the realisation that the grass is not always greener. Australia has the same problems as everywhere. Yes, it is a beautiful country with great opportunities and a nice lifestyle. For me, I miss friends and family immensely which hasn't got easier over the two years we have been here. I also miss England, the old buildings, the English countryside,

the pubs, the opportunity to travel to Europe, even the weather..............I feel like I am trapped here and after a while everywhere begins to look and feel the same. I thought it would be easy to return home for a visit every year, but the cost of flights and the time taken make this impossible. This is why we are returning to the UK, for us it is home.

One of the biggest problems a lot of migrants encounter is the 2 Australian work references required before a company will employ a migrant.

Unfortunately I had this happen to me

I attended an interview for a job in my trade the interview was going fine until the end

When they asked for 2 Australian work references.

I have excellent work references for the last 20 years from the U.K.

As I was in no position to provide any Australian work references at the time I did not get the job.

I have since spoken to a number of migrants from other countries and they have encountered the same problem.

I think for me it is the realisation that the grass is not always greener. Australia has the same problems as everywhere. Yes, it is a beautiful country with great opportunities and a nice lifestyle. For me, I miss friends and family immensely which hasn't got easier over the two years we have been here. I also miss England, the old buildings, the English countryside,

the pubs, the opportunity to travel to Europe, even the weather..............I feel like I am trapped here and after a while everywhere begins to look and feel the same. I thought it would be easy to return home for a visit every year, but the cost of flights and the time taken make this impossible. This is why we are returning to the UK, for us it is home.

I had many reasons why Aussie did not tick my box and one that stands out was I met some very sad people who could not afford to return home. This made me sad for them and scared me, that one day that could be me. I love Sun shine I'd love a big house with a pool but thats not enough to compensate what I had at home.

Viva the UK

Having lived in Australia for a number of years now its been a battle (Absolute Culture Shock, driving, sport mad, insular nature, different humour, adjusting to climate, and to think I had visited twice and spent 12 months here on a working visa). We have earned good incomes here, which is great for the head but not the heart, but at the end of the day if your hearts not in it, it probably never will be, for me I miss family, UK, Europe, History, Culture, Seasons and so much more, life in Australia for me has been an empty experience in regards to feeling settled. The fact that we have no family are kids in Australia has certainly helped us in our decision to leave Australia. I am glad I made the move here, but always knew I would return to my homeland just didnt expect it to take 6 years, hence flying in less than 2 weeks. Moving to Australia is a very demanding and challenging thing to do, it takes years to get any sort of understanding as to if the place is right for you, some people I have met have been here for many years and still get down about living here, and some have settled, its a gamble if you will like it are not, but one you have to live to get any sort of answer. :biggrin:

I love Australia, I've been here 35 years.

I am moving to the UK because I no longer have family here, and I want new and different experiences, as well as close proximity to EU for travel. Travelling anywhere from Australia is expensive, and I miss what little family I have left. I liken Australia to the Moon. Picture a couple of lunar bases 1000km away from each other, with nothing but barren dry landscape in between. I've lived in those lunar bases, and also in between, from the outback to tropical north Queensland, to chilly and windy Melbourne and Tassie.

I get a little miffed when my UK friends look at me with disdain when I say I am leaving Australia. And their first reply is to UK bash. "Why come here, it's cold, wet, lots of crime, expensive, unemployment sky high blah blah snore". Well we have all of that in Australia too. Maybe not so cold, but hey we will give you sunburn and skin cancers with your pasty white British skin. Plus we have a drought here, so get used to water restrictions and dead gardens because you're not allowed to water them like you can in the UK. Australia isn't Utopia, but it's been my lovely home, warts and all for the last 35 years. It's no better or worse than the UK, pros and cons, depending on your situation. Just don't come here to expect your life to miraculously change and be so much better. It may, but chances are it will be no different than in the UK, just warmer and with prettier beaches.

As I said, I love it here, I'm used to everything that is wrong with this country and everything which is right. I don't have rose coloured glasses here or for the UK. I'm only going to the UK for family, exploration and new/different experiences.

Cheers

Matt

Guest Perth Princess

I have realised that I will never feel at home here. Also I've found that I miss friends and family way more than I'd expected. I thought the pain of missing them would get easier but in fact it just gets harder.

I'm fed up now with being too hot and needing 2 showers a day.The occassional cold crisp sunny day in the UK is worth 50 overbearingly hot ones here. I even miss the rain (no doubt the novelty of that will soon wear off when we are back lol).

I don't like the Australian obsession with sport. I don't enjoy the hot Christmas thing. I hate being so isolated from the rest of the world and being in a different time zone to everyone else.

After all that whinging I would add that I know loads of Brits who absolutely love it here and say they would be depressed if they had to go back. Personally, I have never stopped feeling homesick.

Guest guest30038
One of the biggest problems a lot of migrants encounter is the 2 Australian work references required before a company will employ a migrant.

Unfortunately I had this happen to me

I attended an interview for a job in my trade the interview was going fine until the end

When they asked for 2 Australian work references.

I have excellent work references for the last 20 years from the U.K.

As I was in no position to provide any Australian work references at the time I did not get the job.

I have since spoken to a number of migrants from other countries and they have encountered the same problem.

It needs to be made clear though that this is not the case with most employers. In the last 12 months i've helped 6 migrants seek work and not one of them has been asked for an Australian reference...............permanent residency yes, but not reference.

kev

It needs to be made clear though that this is not the case with most employers. In the last 12 months i've helped 6 migrants seek work and not one of them has been asked for an Australian reference...............permanent residency yes, but not reference.

kev

Yeah I have to agree also, the Brits working at my places of employment were asked for 2 references from their last jobs, regardless of country of origin.

Guest Gunner

I often hover on this forum enjoying reading other peoples thoughts and experiences. I have been in Melbourne 10 years now and prior to that 6 in NZ. I have had some achievements attending university in both countries which has been the backbone to a successful career period. I have 2 children both born here one at a nice school the other at kinder and a lovely wife (Bristol girl) with an equally successful career although presently part time. We have a high household income and live in a nice family friendly part of the Eastern burbs. Despite all of this I find myself constantly romantacizing about the UK (London is my home) and the need for my kids especially, to spend time with their extended families and enjoy the knock knock of a friend at the door, for some reason it just isn't the same here. Do I give up a good job and income to return home permanently, "take a holiday" I here you say, well I have done that and its not a good comparison to living there. I don't know what to do, my wife is settled and fears returning only to hear the sound of ping pong echoing through our English home. However she can see benefits (Parents, siblings, old friends, Europe etc....) additionally she can see issues (long winters, economic problems, overcrowding etc.....). I am also aware that this is a financially good time to return with the exchange rate so in favour of the AUD, we would return with a significant wad of cash and in a position to live in a nice part of N London or Herts.

I am not writing this for advice as I realise we have to work this decision through as a family but it feels therapeutic putting the dilemmas down on paper for others in a similar dilemma to read.

The empty hole in your gut that some experience from being an expat doesn't always go away.

Pete

I could have written this myself......

Guest chloew
I often hover on this forum enjoying reading other peoples thoughts and experiences.

I am not writing this for advice as I realise we have to work this decision through as a family but it feels therapeutic putting the dilemmas down on paper for others in a similar dilemma to read.

The empty hole in your gut that some experience from being an expat doesn't always go away.

Pete

I too often read this forum for the same reason. It is not something you can advise on, like you say and it is a decision that only you and your family can make. I am glad we came here and the time we spent here has not been wasted. Rather than always thinking I wonder what it will be like to live in Australia, I now know.

Guest chris955

The biggest issue seems to be peoples perception, what they think they will find when they get here. Often the reality is very different and they are disappointed and of course often the reality exceeds the expectations so those people are happy. Because no country can be all things to all people there will always be 2 camps, those who fit in and are happy and those who don't and aren't.

Many people hate the fact there is no traditional pub culture here or no visual history other than some cave paintings or no 500 year old architecture. For others it is something less tangible but none the less equally relevant. Many people love the beach life, I have been to the beach maybe 2 dozen times in the 10 years in Queensland so it isn't a big priority for us. For others it is the weather even though stinking hot days are just as uncomfortable as freezing days, actually more so as it isn't possible to cool down if working outside.

There are many reasons people don't want to live in either country.

I love Australia, I've been here 35 years.

I am moving to the UK because I no longer have family here, and I want new and different experiences, as well as close proximity to EU for travel. Travelling anywhere from Australia is expensive, and I miss what little family I have left. I liken Australia to the Moon. Picture a couple of lunar bases 1000km away from each other, with nothing but barren dry landscape in between. I've lived in those lunar bases, and also in between, from the outback to tropical north Queensland, to chilly and windy Melbourne and Tassie.

I get a little miffed when my UK friends look at me with disdain when I say I am leaving Australia. And their first reply is to UK bash. "Why come here, it's cold, wet, lots of crime, expensive, unemployment sky high blah blah snore". Well we have all of that in Australia too. Maybe not so cold, but hey we will give you sunburn and skin cancers with your pasty white British skin. Plus we have a drought here, so get used to water restrictions and dead gardens because you're not allowed to water them like you can in the UK. Australia isn't Utopia, but it's been my lovely home, warts and all for the last 35 years. It's no better or worse than the UK, pros and cons, depending on your situation. Just don't come here to expect your life to miraculously change and be so much better. It may, but chances are it will be no different than in the UK, just warmer and with prettier beaches.

As I said, I love it here, I'm used to everything that is wrong with this country and everything which is right. I don't have rose coloured glasses here or for the UK. I'm only going to the UK for family, exploration and new/different experiences.

Cheers

Matt

Were abouts you going to settle Matt?

My only advice would be nothing can prepare you! Everyone is completely different. When I came out I prepared myself that it wouldn;t be home - but nothing can prepare you for the feeling of being so far away. I prepared myself that I would be homesick - but nothing can prepare you for utter intensity of feeling homesick, I prepared myself for hot weather - but nothing can prepare you for the feeling of walking down a road in 40 degree heat and feeling like you might actually die! I prepared myself that it would be different - but nothing prepares you of the feeling of being in a place and having no idea where to get the best groceries, or where to buy a sofa, or clothes, or the price, or the lack of choice.

You can prepare yourself for the worst or the best but until you do it you won't know and you won't know how you will react to each situation. If you are in a position to go then you should try!

Good luck in your adventures!

Guest gary12
My only advice would be nothing can prepare you! Everyone is completely different. When I came out I prepared myself that it wouldn;t be home - but nothing can prepare you for the feeling of being so far away. I prepared myself that I would be homesick - but nothing can prepare you for utter intensity of feeling homesick, I prepared myself for hot weather - but nothing can prepare you for the feeling of walking down a road in 40 degree heat and feeling like you might actually die! I prepared myself that it would be different - but nothing prepares you of the feeling of being in a place and having no idea where to get the best groceries, or where to buy a sofa, or clothes, or the price, or the lack of choice.

You can prepare yourself for the worst or the best but until you do it you won't know and you won't know how you will react to each situation. If you are in a position to go then you should try!

That has just made me laugh out loud, the 40 degree bit, I get sick of people in the UK telling me how lovely it is but as you say if you do anything more than open a door you feel like you will pass out! Ross Noble on his tour of Oz was standing about 5 feet away from his bike and said it was so hot he couldn't make it to it. Until you have experienced for yourself you have no idea.

kind regards

Michelle

I know! When you decide to come over all you can think about is the weather and how lovely it will be because you can plan weekends around the constant weather and do so much more, then you get here and it hits you. I think a lot of us think it will be just like a hot British summer day, but that is far from the truth! I think I spend more time inside over here than I did in miserable England!

Poca, this is an excellent post - it brought back memories of my early days here last year walking my daughter the equivalent of 1.5 miles to school each way in the heat of the day before I had a car, and thinking my blood had genuinely begun to boil - and feeling like a twit because I didn't know whether to press the button for cheque, savings or credit for my bank card in the supermarket!

Of course, Australia is a foreign country where they just speak English and it takes time to get used to the differences.

It's not for everyone here - just as I hate celery, someone else will love it - and you are absolutely right that the only way to find out is to give it a try! :wubclub:

I really hope you begin to feel better soon.

Sue x

Guest chloew
I know! When you decide to come over all you can think about is the weather and how lovely it will be because you can plan weekends around the constant weather and do so much more, then you get here and it hits you. I think a lot of us think it will be just like a hot British summer day, but that is far from the truth! I think I spend more time inside over here than I did in miserable England!

I definitely spend more time indoors since moving to Melbourne! Some days are like opening the oven door...........even putting the washing out is hard work! Although, at least it dries quickly.

Guest rachellh
I have been doing a fair bit of research to find out if migrating to Oz... Is right for our family? Where to live etc.. It all seems mostly positive, but if Oz is supposed to be soooo great, why move back to the UK? I just want to get a balanced viewpoint and remove the rose tinted glasses I have. I think, for me, the worst thing would be missing family and friends, British history and culture and "oh bludi hell its hot today" (as I'm very fair and covered in freckles : -D)

So whats wrong with Oz then.. why hasn't it turned out to to be thr dream you expected.

Firstly, what a refreshing change that someone is actually looking to get a balanced view point before they set foot on the tarmac here!

I think while everyone wants different things out of life, most people who are going back to the UK are doing so for very similar reasons - family, culture, travel, countryside, choice, cost of living. Personally for us, Australia is just not the right place and we can't image ever being here when we get old - and once you realise that the country isn't in your long distance future, there seems very little point in delaying the inevitable.

Australia, like Marmite, is a place you'll either love or hate. It's just a pity it's such a costly exercise to find out if it's right for you.

Of course there are plenty of positives to the place, but unfortunately they just don't really work to our advantage. Now we live by the ocean I've realised I'm really not that much of a beach person - high winds, intense heat, fear of finned creatures and small children don't make it enjoyable! I certainly wasn't born to camp, fish, surf or hike, and that rules out most Perth past times. I like the sun, but don't like being boiled in my skin and really don't like the odds on skin cancer here (with fair skin and freckles you will have to be REALLY careful if you come).

I don't like eating burnt BBQ meat or drinking beer - I miss affordable good food. I'm not a shopaholic fashion victim, but I do miss choice, quality and reasonable prices. I don't consider scrub land 'countryside' - I like green, hills and trees. I would like to have a garden that isn't surrounded by brown plants and metal sheeting. I would like to not have to give every spider a wide berth in case it can bite me!

We've got 126 days till we leave and I can't wait. I'm not expecting the UK to be anything other than it is, but I know we'll be happier back there with all it's problems than we are here.

Top of our reasons for leaving is the education system here. I look at what my daughter is (or isn't learning) and want to cry. There is no emphasis on education or intelligence here, it's all on playing sport and fun. Her teacher told me that school is meant to be more about fun and that they don't really need to do homework, as they work SO hard during the day. :arghh:

We came all the way here to realise that getting a bit of sunshine and a nice beach is not really that important in the scheme of things, if our kids aren't even being armed with the necessary tools to equip them for their own future.

So I may miss the blue skies when we leave, but if I'm honest, I won't miss anything else.

Rachel :biggrin:

I watched too many of those TV programmes and read too many books about people (who initally have a lot of money) moving abroad, mixing with the locals, drinking the local vino and finding paradise !! (Think of the books Year In Provence/Driving Over Lemons)

Moving to Australia has been the wrong decision for me. Yes I live in the sunshine, but we work harder, longer hours for the equivilant pay we had in the UK. We have less annual leave than the UK so not as much time off to explore this huge country as we had anticipated.

Medical bills always leave us out of pocket, very few Drs bulk bill their patients.

Sydney is too big and the roads a nightmare. I feel the education system is below the standard of the UK. My friend returned to UK last year and her 9 year old daughter was way behind her peers.

I miss the seasons in the UK, pubs, pasties, beautiful countryside, beautiful old buildings, character, history, BBC TV and Radio, affordable books, the sense of humour, a good long walk that doesn't involve carrying sunscreen, water, wearing a hat and swatting away the flies. Bonfire night, long summer evenings, the smell of an autumn bonfire, central heating, xmas, the pantomime, London theatre.

I am personally counting down the months until we can go home.

Blondie

Archived