Any Poms at Sunshine Coast who want to go back to UK?

fizzybangs

Just asking because I am here at the moment and bored witless! We went back to UK for a year but had to return as one of our kids had a heart attack and are now living around the corner from my duaghter. Have lived in Brisbane and Gold .coast before with no problem but perhaps because I find myself homesick for the UK I have a different attitude now and miss the UK humour so much and the ease of chatting to complete strangers there. I am losing me again!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So dare I say have lived here for 11 years and love it!! and just in case it is assumed that I have not experienced life, I have lived properly in 5 countries including Australia. Try living in a Muslim country if you want boring.

Have been made so welcome here, and love the mix of nationalities who have moved here. but do have the attitude that if you smile at the world it tends to smile back at you.

There is every club and activity up and running that I can think of to join, and you can volunteer for all sorts of organisations just like any where else.

i do agree that there is a lack of work opportunities, and even though retired would like a bit more life after 9pm! But so many get up early to swim, surf or walk before work, so perhaps that explains it.

have just had a 2 monthly regular lunch out with over 20 fellow expats and ex UK retirees, all who have chosen to retire here and no one wants to return, we all enjoy life here too much.

Do hope you find some friends with similar interests, and that life improves here on the coast.

Places soon become boring when the novelty of the beach and the sun wears off, people need stimulation in their lives, the need to see different places meet different cultures and taste different foods and drink, its OK for some I suppose but I found it very boring and uninteresting.

Places soon become boring when the novelty of the beach and the sun wears off, people need stimulation in their lives, the need to see different places meet different cultures and taste different foods and drink, its OK for some I suppose but I found it very boring and uninteresting.

what a surprise

Just asking because I am here at the moment and bored witless! We went back to UK for a year but had to return as one of our kids had a heart attack and are now living around the corner from my duaghter. Have lived in Brisbane and Gold .coast before with no problem but perhaps because I find myself homesick for the UK I have a different attitude now and miss the UK humour so much and the ease of chatting to complete strangers there. I am losing me again!

..........I hope you find what you need.....

..........though sometimes circumstances rule our choices.....for a time...

........and all we can do is search for the good in where we are........

..........I spent over 20 years north of Brisbane and am now in the UK.....

.......... With a bit of jiggery pokery........I hope to stay....

..........because sometimes you just have to do what makes .....you.....happy.......

.............I wish you the best of luck......

...........but it's your journey.......

...........your choice......

.............and your life will depend on how you live it......

...........the where sometimes just has to be secondary.....for a while at least......

.............look for the joy......

...........and follow your heart............tink X

• Like 1

I reckon the Sunshine Coast would be the nearest thing to Paradise . I have friends who live in Noosa ex Melbourne and they love it up there. Guess we are all different.

:rolleyes: really? have you traveled the world, and how do you classify Paradise? beauty? parts of Scotland and Wales and most of Europe and parts of the world have more far natural beauty than the Sunshine coast......the people? hahhhh, that cant be it.....the food? say no more.....how the heck can you say the Sunshine coast is Paradise:eek:

Edited by Perthbum

Yes I have travelled the world and yes I still think it is Paradise. As I said, we are all different and look for different things. Scotland and Wales are too cold and wet and there are a lot more social problems there. We used to go to Wales every weekend at one time to escape from Cheshire but that was long ago and it has changed since then.

Yes I have travelled the world and yes I still think it is Paradise. As I said, we are all different and look for different things. Scotland and Wales are too cold and wet and there are a lot more social problems there. We used to go to Wales every weekend at one time to escape from Cheshire but that was long ago and it has changed since then.

Paradise for some hellhole for others, I did not think it was a particularity interesting part of the world in beauty or culture...as you say, we are all different.

Paradise for some hellhole for others, I did not think it was a particularity interesting part of the world in beauty or culture...as you say, we are all different.

I don't think anyone would find the Sunny Coast a hellhole, unless they aren't very well travelled...

Guest Guest 47403

The sunshine coast must be a little different to Perth, probably the one thing that has struck me most since I've been here is the friendliness of complete strangers and abilty to strike up conversations that in the UK just would not have happened.

Didnt realise you had lived on the Sunshine Coast too, PB?

ive never been ...but if its as bad as you say Perth is....then reckon I might just like it...a lot:laugh:

The sunshine coast must be a little different to Perth, probably the one thing that has struck me most since I've been here is the friendliness of complete strangers and abilty to strike up conversations that in the UK just would not have happened.

You obviously never mixed in these type of circles in the UK, as so many have said on here it is far harder to make friends in Oz as Australians are far harder to befriend than Brits.

You obviously never mixed in these type of circles in the UK, as so many have said on here it is far harder to make friends in Oz as Australians are far harder to befriend than Brits.

.......I really fail to see how anybody can encompass a whole country of people in one basket.......

........some areas are friendlier than others......in either country.....

........some people will mix better than others .....in either country......

.........some people will always look for the negatives.....in either country.....

..........some people will always look for the positives......in either country......

........and how do you know....for sure......the nationality of the people you are talking/being ignored by.....?

.........you take yourself wherever you go........

.........if your friendly.......you'll find friends.......IMO....and ime....tink X

There are plenty of poms on your door step to have a laugh and joke with...... we will hit 2 yrs here on sunny coast, and despite what other say - a place is the people you meet, the friendships you make, and the attitude you have.................but the scenery here is great, and every day is Paradise.......and again before others knock and attack, yes we as a family have lived in some amazing places.......

as said, pm us, and lets have a laugh at the tourist sun bathing on the beach, while the locals are wearing fleeces and wearing hats as its only 23 degrees..................

Guest Guest 47403

The OP's comment wasn't about making friends, it was about chatting to complete strangers, pay attention, read, digest and most of all THINK before you post :wink:

The OP's comment wasn't about making friends, it was about chatting to complete strangers, pay attention, read, digest and most of all THINK before you post :wink:

Chatting to complete strangers :eek: everyone does that everyday in their working lives, best strangers to talk to without a shadow are southern irish, never found aussies particular forward in wanting to talk to poms.

Guest Guest 47403
Chatting to complete strangers :eek: everyone does that everyday in their working lives, best strangers to talk to without a shadow are southern irish, never found aussies particular forward in wanting to talk to poms.

Guessing you must be one of those unapproachable sorts then..............bit of a British trait eh!