3-6 month trip to test the water - Which Tourist Visa??? Please Help

SteveR

Hi All

My wife and I decided upon emigrating (subject to successful visa app of course) a while ago. We are now at the stage where we can being planning as our house is almost ready to go on the market.

We are planning a 3-6 month trip out there before hand to stay in places we want to look at before we decided where to live when we move there.

However, I am getting bamboozled with varying options on the tourist visa side of things.

Some people say you don't need to pay, you can stay for 12 months without leaving, you can't stay for 12 months, you need to leave every 3 months, it is free, it is £150 .... the list is endless.

I would be hugely grateful if someone could please give me some advice as to what Tourist Visa is recommended for us.

We are 2 adults and 4 young children. We want to stay between 3 and 6 months and don't want to have to leave before the end of the trip (ie, after 3 months).

Thank you in advance of your help/advice

Steve

I don't think there are lots of different tourist visas to be honest, there is the electronic one which is three months, but the Tourist visa can be for 3, 6 or 12 months, it is the same visa though, just different duration. The visa number is 600.

And I know you didn't ask, but that is quite an unusual thing to do. A long holiday won't really give you an idea of what living in Australia is like will it? Also are all the chilldren below school age because on a tourist visa they would not be able to atend school for more than three months.

Hi Bungo

Perhaps I wrote my question a little less clearly than it read when I made it.

My point is that there are options where you pay, don't pay, can stay without leaving, have to leave every 3 months etc etc. I want to get the right one and don't want to have to pay for flights to leave the country after three months if we decide to stay that long.

Ideally I would like a 6 month or 12 month visa so we can decide when to leave. I just need to know if these are free or if you have to pay. I want to make sure I get everything right in advance of my visa app next year.

Thanks

Hi Bungo

My point is that there are options where you pay, don't pay, can stay without leaving, have to leave every 3 months etc etc. I want to get the right one and don't want to have to pay for flights to leave the country after three months if we decide to stay that long.

Ideally I would like a 6 month or 12 month visa so we can decide when to leave. I just need to know if these are free or if you have to pay. I want to make sure I get everything right in advance of my visa app next year.

Thanks

No there was nothing unclear. And my answer remains, that there are not all these different visas. There is the electrinic one and then there is the 600 visa, which is the one you want for an extended stay. I didn't think any country gave out free visas. If you apply directly from the immigration website you can avoid agent charges.

It will be the 600 visa which can be granted for 3,6 or 12 months, the price varies. Only the 3 month electronic visa is free. Go to border.gov.au for all the details and application.

they will most likely require proof you do not intend to stay, so selling your house in the UK and applying for a skilled visa may be an issue.

Most people who come for a reccie don't stay that long as is isn't practical with jobs, kids and expense of accomodation.

Hi Bungo

Thanks

Are any of you children school age? They will not be able to attend school without a relevant visa, twelve months is a long time to go without schooling.

Are any of you children school age? They will not be able to attend school without a relevant visa, twelve months is a long time to go without schooling.

Thank you Sammy for bringing that up. Two of my children are of school age and we would like them to be schooled while we are there. I know some people tend to think that we don't need to go for 3 months to decide where we are going to move to but I disagree as we want to get it right first time. Are you aware of what visa we would need to apply for in order to get them into school please?

You're planning on selling your house before you have a visa? Not awfully wise - many a slip and all that!

Hi Quoll. Thanks for replying. I am in between a rock and a hard place as all of our money is tied up in our house. If we sold the house and rented in the UK until we were ready to go surely that would be proof of residence here in the UK before?

In some circumstances they can study for up to 3 months but you would be looking at very high fees.

The correct way would be to secure your visa then move over, or go for a holiday then apply for a visa. There is no visa suitable for trying out the country before. What happens if you decide to go and can not get a visa? You have sold your house, you plan is all a bit backwards.

Thank you Sammy for bringing that up. Two of my children are of school age and we would like them to be schooled while we are there. I know some people tend to think that we don't need to go for 3 months to decide where we are going to move to but I disagree as we want to get it right first time. Are you aware of what visa we would need to apply for in order to get them into school please?

A relevant work visa of some sort, not a 12 month tourist visa. Fees are applicable in some states depending on visa type.

Edited by Sammy1

Fees for 2 children to go to school on NSW for 3 months on a visitors visa will cost around $7000, PR visa application cost to DIBP for 2 adults and 4 children $9000.

It it may cost a bit more to get a PR visa but in the long run work out better. With 4 kids and after selling your house in UK I wouldn't entertain looking at a 457 visa.

If your children are going to be out of school for 3-6 months travelling Australia I'd consider the home school approach and that the trip is an education in itself also. My hubby spent 6 months backpacking round Europe when he was a child with his mum and younger brother (both kids under 10 at the time and in school in Aus). They spent 3 months in one country living in a town, experiencing it all and then 3 months travelling Europe. They saw and learnt lots and had an amazing time.

I'd plan on keeping up their reading, writing and so on with them keeping a diary of what they see and do perhaps? Buy some books on the way in charity shops, same with toys and other things and then donate them back once you are done with them. Take in the sights, ensure they actually don't just go look at a view without the story behind it IYKWIM. Take tours, meet the wildlife, visit museums and have some fun with all the things they can see, do and learn.

I'd focus on areas you do actually have on a short list as possible to live. No point going to Perth if it isn't on your radar job wise. Focus on the towns and cities that appeal and have visa sponsorship for your trade/profession. Also remember not to get caught up in the holiday thing and make sure you really look beneath the surface of it all.

ETA - Also research if you can remove your kids from school for that long and still keep their places. It may be you'll lose their school spots and be stuffed in that respect on your return.

ETA 2 - Personally, I think a 3-6 month research 'holiday' is probably overkill with 4 kids. I'd consider a month, using some UK school holiday time and then paying the fines for the other couple of weeks and focus on 2 or 3 places in whichever state or states and just have the 4 weeks. 3-4 months is a long time for kids to be out of things. My hubby and his brother did fine as his Mum is a primary teacher and so kept up their learning without really missing much.

Edited by Guest

It it may cost a bit more to get a PR visa but in the long run work out better. With 4 kids and after selling your house in UK I wouldn't entertain looking at a 457 visa.

Agree with this. A 457 with 4 kids and selling your house would be a huge risk. Not worth it IMHO.

If your children are going to be out of school for 3-6 months travelling Australia I'd consider the home school approach and that the trip is an education in itself also. My hubby spent 6 months backpacking round Europe when he was a child with his mum and younger brother (both kids under 10 at the time and in school in Aus). They spent 3 months in one country living in a town, experiencing it all and then 3 months travelling Europe. They saw and learnt lots and had an amazing time.

I'd plan on keeping up their reading, writing and so on with them keeping a diary of what they see and do perhaps? Buy some books on the way in charity shops, same with toys and other things and then donate them back once you are done with them. Take in the sights, ensure they actually don't just go look at a view without the story behind it IYKWIM. Take tours, meet the wildlife, visit museums and have some fun with all the things they can see, do and learn.

I'd focus on areas you do actually have on a short list as possible to live. No point going to Perth if it isn't on your radar job wise. Focus on the towns and cities that appeal and have visa sponsorship for your trade/profession. Also remember not to get caught up in the holiday thing and make sure you really look beneath the surface of it all.

ETA - Also research if you can remove your kids from school for that long and still keep their places. It may be you'll lose their school spots and be stuffed in that respect on your return.

ETA 2 - Personally, I think a 3-6 month research 'holiday' is probably overkill with 4 kids. I'd consider a month, using some UK school holiday time and then paying the fines for the other couple of weeks and focus on 2 or 3 places in whichever state or states and just have the 4 weeks. 3-4 months is a long time for kids to be out of things. My hubby and his brother did fine as his Mum is a primary teacher and so kept up their learning without really missing much.

Thank you for this reply, it is brilliant.

I can get in on a 189 so I am comfortable with selling my house. If we are not successful with the app (there is no reason why we wouldnt be) we are looking to leave our own town in any case so the trip to Oz was a by-product of us agreeing to move.

We have been given options by the school in regards to work so we can keep up with it if necessary and home-schooling is one of them but something I would rather not do if we can have them educated professionally.

The plan is to go straight to Brisbane and look around there for home, school, places of work etc but also have a holiday too, hence the 3-6 month thought.

Thanks again

In some circumstances they can study for up to 3 months but you would be looking at very high fees.

The correct way would be to secure your visa then move over, or go for a holiday then apply for a visa. There is no visa suitable for trying out the country before. What happens if you decide to go and can not get a visa? You have sold your house, you plan is all a bit backwards.

We always planned to sell the house as we want to leave the town we live in. The extended trip was a by-product of selling up. If we were not successful with the app (which we should be as my job is on the skills shortage list) then we would relocate anyway.

I am not looking for a 'try before you buy' visa, I am looking to give us as much time as we need to decide it is what we want.

We always planned to sell the house as we want to leave the town we live in. The extended trip was a by-product of selling up. If we were not successful with the app (which we should be as my job is on the skills shortage list) then we would relocate anyway.

I am not looking for a 'try before you buy' visa, I am looking to give us as much time as we need to decide it is what we want.

If you qualify for 189 visa I would get going with applying for the skills assessment and sitting the IELTS once you have these in place and decide to move forward with applying for the PR visa you may be able to apply in Australia if you are there on a visitors visa. Skills assessments can take months to get back, ours took 4 months.

Thank you for this reply, it is brilliant.

I can get in on a 189 so I am comfortable with selling my house. If we are not successful with the app (there is no reason why we wouldnt be) we are looking to leave our own town in any case so the trip to Oz was a by-product of us agreeing to move.

We have been given options by the school in regards to work so we can keep up with it if necessary and home-schooling is one of them but something I would rather not do if we can have them educated professionally.

The plan is to go straight to Brisbane and look around there for home, school, places of work etc but also have a holiday too, hence the 3-6 month thought.

Thanks again

We researched heavily from the UK and undertook our recce with one child last year and had 10 days in Oz. And we already had visas. A few more days would not have hurt us but am of the view that 3-6 months could end up confusing you all with potential options.

Your budget for this would have to be substantial unless you have some cheap accommodation lined up and a car. If you are thinking that you need months to establish if you are likely to settle permanently I am not sure that this will cut it either. Your time in Oz will not be 'normal' life and even if it were many will testify that it can take two years or more for everything to settle into place.

So what happens if at the end of 6 or 12 months as tourists in Oz some or all of you have doubts about the move. Doubts will probably always exist and you either take the plunge or you don't. I fear you are over-thinking it.

We researched heavily from the UK and undertook our recce with one child last year and had 10 days in Oz. And we already had visas. A few more days would not have hurt us but am of the view that 3-6 months could end up confusing you all with potential options.

Your budget for this would have to be substantial unless you have some cheap accommodation lined up and a car. If you are thinking that you need months to establish if you are likely to settle permanently I am not sure that this will cut it either. Your time in Oz will not be 'normal' life and even if it were many will testify that it can take two years or more for everything to settle into place.

So what happens if at the end of 6 or 12 months as tourists in Oz some or all of you have doubts about the move. Doubts will probably always exist and you either take the plunge or you don't. I fear you are over-thinking it.

Gbye Grey Sky, thank you so much for this reply.

My wife and I have just been talking about pretty much what you have said just now. As it stands it is looking more and more that we just take the plunge. I have no doubts at all but my wife does (although this is seemingly becoming less and less) and if I had my visa handed to me today I would get going immediately.

With all the costs assigned to going for 1,2,3 months etc, it is looking like it will outweigh the cost of the visa app and the flights there.

Perhaps after all this we may end up just going on permanent.

Thank you again

Gbye Grey Sky, thank you so much for this reply.

My wife and I have just been talking about pretty much what you have said just now. As it stands it is looking more and more that we just take the plunge. I have no doubts at all but my wife does (although this is seemingly becoming less and less) and if I had my visa handed to me today I would get going immediately.

With all the costs assigned to going for 1,2,3 months etc, it is looking like it will outweigh the cost of the visa app and the flights there.

Perhaps after all this we may end up just going on permanent.

Thank you again

There is doing a reccie and doing a reccie :wink: A reccie is usually a few weeks, (often to validate the visas if you don't plan to move quite quickly) and usually in the area you are keen to settle in.

Honestly, as has been said, I don't think it helps much to spend 3-6 months somewhere to help test the waters. Its a huge expense and commitment with no income, no incomings, just outgoings that could go toward a visa application and move.

And yes, it can often take a while to settle, find your feet and so on once you migrate and no amount of holidaying is going to prepare you for this IMHO.

Many visit Aus before they move, usually for a shorter holiday or to validate. Some move without ever having visited the place.

Research well, ensure there is a job market that is offering your line of work in your preferred area and be prepared that it could take a few months to secure employment once you migrate. Your budget for a long holiday would be better spent going toward the savings to cover you for this eventuality. Also keep in mind that Australia is a big place and where you start off may not be for you in the long term and you can always look to moving within Aus if you want. If you really don't like it full stop or suffer terrible homesickness that cannot be overcome nor eases, a return to the UK is also a move then to consider.

If you can afford a holiday for a few weeks for all 6 of you, great, go for it and enjoy. But you really don't need to be spending longer to see if you like it or want to do it. I think its wise to be reconsidering the 3-6 month stay and to either reduce it right down to just go for the visa and research all you can while applying and waiting.

Hi All

My wife and I decided upon emigrating (subject to successful visa app of course) a while ago. We are now at the stage where we can being planning as our house is almost ready to go on the market.

We are planning a 3-6 month trip out there before hand to stay in places we want to look at before we decided where to live when we move there.

However, I am getting bamboozled with varying options on the tourist visa side of things.

Some people say you don't need to pay, you can stay for 12 months without leaving, you can't stay for 12 months, you need to leave every 3 months, it is free, it is £150 .... the list is endless.

I would be hugely grateful if someone could please give me some advice as to what Tourist Visa is recommended for us.

We are 2 adults and 4 young children. We want to stay between 3 and 6 months and don't want to have to leave before the end of the trip (ie, after 3 months).

Thank you in advance of your help/advice

Steve

My recommendation would not be to go on a tourist visa - I have read most of the thread and based on what you have said I would apply for your 189 visa and then head out for 12 months. Spend 3-6 months travelling and don't worry about your children's education, they will develop more in that time than any school education could possibly achieve and then settle somewhere for 6-9 months - you and your partner will be free to work if you wish, you'll be able to rent a property rather than holiday accommodation (which is very expensive) and your children will be able to go to school i.e. you can live like an Australian for 6 months.

With hindsight I wish that is what we had done - we did a 5 week reccie, with two weeks in Perth and even though we tried to do all the right things there is no way of really knowing what living there would be like.

If it's not for you then you have wasted the cost of the visa but a 6 month holiday from work doesn't come cheap and unless you are working in Australia you really will not get anything like a realistic picture of life there - the longer working day meant I got home in the dark most of the year, something that didn't really sink in on 'holiday'.

At the end of the year either head back to the UK having had one hell of an adventure or head back for a holiday to finalise your affairs (if you are selling your house before you go that'll be easy) and making a permanent move.