Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 - Accepted

keano1000

Hi there

I submitted my partner visa early feb 2014 (perth), I used an agent, I have done my medicals, please checks and completed all forms and evidence submitted. I have paid for the visas and i got my bridging visa the next day after submitting my application. I am on a 457, so bridging visa kicks in when 457 expires in 2016. My questions are the following

can people who have applied please tell me how long they have been waiting for their subclass 820?

or if people have got theirs already how long were you waiting?

Edited by keano1000

It's very much a mixed bag. A couple of weeks for me after handing in Police checks (2 months in total from original application)

This was Brisbane Dec 2012

Some people seem to be processed within weeks - usually people who already hold substantive visas - and some seem to have to wait over a year. I presume if your 457 employment came to a premature end, the bridging visa would kick in sooner.

hi there quinkla, no because everything sits on the 457, you could say its the foundation, and if the 457 gets cancelled, then ever thing else comes tumbling down. My bridging visa for 820/801 will only come to play with 457 visa expires.

You may be right, but have you taken advice? It would seem perverse for DIBP to kick someone out who was living in a partnership with an Australian or PR, who had lodged an onshore application for a partner visa, and who had not done anything wrong.

Have looked further. I think if you have your 457 cancelled, you would rock up to DIBP and ask for a Bridging Visa E to tide you over until the 820 decision is made.

Edited by Quinkla

You may be right, but have you taken advice? It would seem perverse for DIBP to kick someone out who was living in a partnership with an Australian or PR, who had lodged an onshore application for a partner visa, and who had not done anything wrong.

Have looked further. I think if you have your 457 cancelled, you would rock up to DIBP and ask for a Bridging Visa E to tide you over until the 820 decision is made.

I think you would just need to fill a form in to change your bridging visa date if that happened.

By the way I applied whilst on a tourist visa just to add to the information above

So the OP sits on a bridging visa E for possibly a year while the partner visa is being processed? What can they do during that year Quinkla? I'll re-iterate again, I wish people would refrain from advising if they do not understand the system. The OP could suffer serious consequences if they followed your advice, please think about that before you post.

Keano - Processing times vary wildly depending on a large number of factors both in and outside of your control. There's another thread with onshore partner processing times I believe, but use it as an average guide, not a guarantee of what will happen in your case.

I would very strongly suggest consulting with your agent first before you do anything that may effect your currently held visa.

Dont worry, i wont be cancelling my 457 or making any changes to my work situation, happy with work and my life, just going into 5 month of waiting for 820 visa, can be annoying thinking about it all the time, my thread was about processing times for 820/801, and not bridging visas. Thanks for you advice.

Wouldn't filling in a form 1005 suffice Adam? Or would it not be good for business if the process is that easy?

Not everyone can demonstrate they have a compelling need to work, relying on this path would be foolish.

Please refrain from slander too....Quite a pathetic response when all I'm trying to do is give the OP free factual advice so they can avoid a potentially catastrophic situation. Fortunately the OP appears to have his head screwed on, but others do not. I'll re-iterate a third time, think about the consequences if someone follows any advice written on here.

I wish people would refrain from advising if they do not understand the system. The OP could suffer serious consequences if they followed your advice, please think about that before you post... I would very strongly suggest consulting with your agent first before you do anything that may effect your currently held visa.

The thing is, people know that agents exist. When they post on a forum such as this one (and other forums exist) they have chosen not to pay for an agent and presumably accept that they are not going to get a definitive answer. They will get some kind of groupthink, or ideas to consider further. Maybe even it will persuade them to seek professional advice. But it's their choice.

It is profoundly unhelpful for agents to come on here and and give half answers, vague threats of peril or hints of a magic solution whilst telling people to seek professional advice. If you know the answer, give it freely. If you are unwilling to give answers freely, maybe a forum for people who are looking for free answers may not be the best place for you. And it's really not on to go following people around on free forums sniping at them, presumably in the hope that they will go away and leave the field clear for professionals to say "consult your agent".

Not everyone can demonstrate they have a compelling need to work, relying on this path would be foolish.

Please refrain from slander too....Quite a pathetic response when all I'm trying to do is give the OP free factual advice so they can avoid a potentially catastrophic situation. Fortunately the OP appears to have his head screwed on, but others do not. I'll re-iterate a third time, think about the consequences if someone follows any advice written on here.

Not sure why so touchy? Wouldn't it be libel and not slander...?

The thing is, people know that agents exist. When they post on a forum such as this one (and other forums exist) they have chosen not to pay for an agent and presumably accept that they are not going to get a definitive answer. They will get some kind of groupthink, or ideas to consider further. Maybe even it will persuade them to seek professional advice. But it's their choice.

It is profoundly unhelpful for agents to come on here and and give half answers, vague threats of peril or hints of a magic solution whilst telling people to seek professional advice. If you know the answer, give it freely. If you are unwilling to give answers freely, maybe a forum for people who are looking for free answers may not be the best place for you. And it's really not on to go following people around on free forums sniping at them, presumably in the hope that they will go away and leave the field clear for professionals to say "consult your agent".

What good is incorrect advice? How does that help anyone? The OP has an agent so how exactly does your first point stand up?

Perhaps you should ask the owners of a forum if they want it to be a place renowned for incorrect, potentially damaging advice? There's a lot of knowledgable members and moderators who put a lot of time and effort into correcting incorrect advice, but it would be far easier if people simply didn't reply if they did not know the answer. Guessing does nobody any favours.

Check out the 500+ posts I have given very comprehensive and valuable information. I'm very willing to answer freely. My answer in this thread is also comprehensive:

"There is another thread with processing times" - correct and would mirror the intention of this thread

"Times vary wildly due to factors in and outside of an applicant's control" - correct

"It should be used as a general guide, not an indication of what will happen" - correct

"He should seek advice from his agent (who he has already engaged so would cost nothing) if he wants to do anything that will effect his current visa" - correct again and only mentioned to avoid the damage your comment may have caused. There's no point in me discussing the ins and outs of bridging visa classes with the OP because a) the OP never mentioned it, b) he has already engaged an agent that will advise and c) I don't know his circumstances.

Seems like a pretty comprehensive and accurate piece of information, nothing more I can really offer the OP on the subject.

So who is more helpful? The person given correct, comprehensive advice or the person telling an OP that asked about processing times they can leave their employment and rock up to DIBP to get a bridging visa E?

I've sniped at you because you've given terrible advice multiple times and then questioned my integrity and intentions when I corrected it. When I first joined, without any foundation you questioned my intentions, going so far to check the MARA registration of everyone in my company and enquire about my place of work. If you don't wish me to correct your advice, do not give incorrect advice. Again would it be more helpful of me to ignore incorrect advice? Or do you think perhaps the forum members might find it more helpful if I tried to.....You know........Help them?

I completely agree comments that simply say "consult an agent" can be unhelpful, I like to at least point out why I think people should if I'm going to make a comment like that. The vagueness of answers sometimes given by agents is often a result of a lack of information from the poster. Unlike yourself, agents have a professional code of conduct they abide to and guessing or making assumptions about a poster's circumstance can lead to bad advice which isn't good for the poster and damages the reputation of the agent. In those instances it's actually bloody great advice to suggest someone get all their info together and consult an agent rather than rely on a forum 'think tank'. Many agents including my own company offer free initial assessments, so financial gain does not come into it. If poster's gave more information I'm sure they'd receive less vague responses.

I also agree with you that I don't think this is the best place for me. I seem to be spending more and more time having to defend my correct advice, having to defend the integrity of my industry and responding to crap like this. I get no benefit from this forum other than my own satisfaction of helping and I think I can live without that so I'll leave you to it. If you want to carry on giving terrible advice to people be my guest, just have a conscience when you read the posts that crop up frequently titled "Help! My visa just got rejected" and ask yourself who is wrong here.

Very helpful, thanks for your contribution.

I actually gave them the number of the form that would most likely solve their hypothetical issue. ..that's a bit more tangible than "go and talk to someone"

I actually gave them the number of the form that would most likely solve their hypothetical issue. ..that's a bit more tangible than "go and talk to someone"

It wouldn't solve their hypothetical issue, which is an issue that they should avoid in the first place anyway. I advised they should ask the paid legal professional they already employ before taking any hypothetical action. You just muddied the water trying to prove a point, question the validity of my advice and imply I would profit from it......Helpful.

Some people seem to be processed within weeks - usually people who already hold substantive visas - and some seem to have to wait over a year. I presume if your 457 employment came to a premature end, the bridging visa would kick in sooner.

Best not to presume anything where visas are concerned.

my daughter had applied for a partner visa, while on a 457 visa. Then left her job thinking that her bridging visa A would kick in, absolutely it doesn't until the end of the time the 457 is valid for. It can be cancelled but it does not cease! In her case there were 2 years left, so went onto the awful bridging visa E. no work rights, if you leave the country you can't come back and nor eligible for bridging visa B.

Had to plead and prove hardship, before she had work rights given, but still on b visa E untill her 820 was given, a few months later.

it was a very worrying time.

Hi am after some advice my partner holds a RRV sub 155. Our family are planning to fly to Adelaide in oct/nov time 2014 and are looking to apply for a 820 visa onshore

can anyone give me any advice on this I've looked up the price so I know I'm looking at 4045gbp but anything else is welcomed. We have looked at lodging a 309 in the uk but would like to be able to be In Australia before the end of the year as our boys need to be staring school in jan 2015 ( I know they can study in aus on the 820 )

Exactly what Ramot said. In addition, the time between when your 457 is cancelled and when you apply for a Bridging Visa E, you are illegally in the country, which means time spent in the country before that no longer counts towards citizenship. A BVE is NOT something you want to find yourself on, and I'm really glad OP has a good handle on that. Adam, as usual, was giving excellent advice. Sad to see him get punished for it.

Adam, as usual, was giving excellent advice. Sad to see him get punished for it.

I think the reason for it was that Adam was putting words in people's mouths in order to disagree with them. I did not advocate jacking in a job anywhere. Neither did anyone else. I simply addressed the OP's belief that if he lost his job, the sky would fall in. It wouldn't. That's all I said and I was right.

HI THERE

all i wanted to know was the processing time for those who have applied and those who have been accepted. Thats it

I did not mention I was packing in my job, I did not mention I wanted to be on a bridging visa.

Thanks for all yer help. Bye

I think the reason for it was that Adam was putting words in people's mouths in order to disagree with them. I did not advocate jacking in a job anywhere. Neither did anyone else. I simply addressed the OP's belief that if he lost his job, the sky would fall in. It wouldn't. That's all I said and I was right.

At least you didn't get accused of slander for asking a question.

I just wish some of these agents acknowledged that professional advice isn't always needed. Much like as an accountant I can acknowledge that people can attempt their own tax return without it ending in disaster.

At least you didn't get accused of slander for asking a question.

I just wish some of these agents acknowledged that professional advice isn't always needed. Much like as an accountant I can acknowledge that people can attempt their own tax return without it ending in disaster.

Adam also posts on another forum I frequent as well. I've definitely seen him tell people when they DON'T need an agent to apply for something. I've never seen him give anything but open and honest advice to people. I've got no horse in this race as I don't know Adam from anything other than these two forums, but I don't like to see people's intentions misinterpreted, and I think Adam's are in this case. Just my two cents.

Exactly what Ramot said. In addition, the time between when your 457 is cancelled and when you apply for a Bridging Visa E, you are illegally in the country, which means time spent in the country before that no longer counts towards citizenship. A BVE is NOT something you want to find yourself on, and I'm really glad OP has a good handle on that. Adam, as usual, was giving excellent advice. Sad to see him get punished for it.

Are you sure about being illegally here while bridging visa E is applied for? Will get my daughter to check with her agent, and confirm.

Have just re read these posts from the start. I really don't understand why there was so much criticism of Adam when he responded after several others had posted and his initial replies seemed to merely to correct some apparently misleading advice.

He seems to have been jumped on for some reason, and it would be a loss to PIO if agents stopped posting.