Extra baggage allowance when emigrating

giggle

Hi, wanted up to date info re how to get extra baggage allowance when emigrating to Oz. some other posts are a few years old and understand rules may have changed. we want to fly with Emirates. has anyone managed to get extra allowance because they're emigrating? how did you do this? the person from Emirates I spoke to said you can get discount of 20% on excess baggage when booking online, however you'd still have to pay for the excess. she also said you get double allowance if opening a bank account with NZ Bank. is it possible to open an account with NZ when you're not going to New Zealand? there also seem to be ways of getting free extra allowance which are not highlighted in the websites. again, has anyone done this and how did you go about it? thanks for any replies in advance x

THe bank account is with ANZ.

Usually you can only get double baggage allowance when you are travelling 1 way with an unvalidated PR visa.

In your grant letter it states that you can if you book through IOM you can get extra baggage allowance - you just need to email them with the dates you are looking to travel and they will get back to you with options.

Usually you can only get double baggage allowance when you are travelling 1 way with an unvalidated PR visa.

In your grant letter it states that you can if you book through IOM you can get extra baggage allowance - you just need to email them with the dates you are looking to travel and they will get back to you with options.

Hi, have since spoken to Emirates and they said if you open a bank account with ANZ Bank you will be entitled to 50kg allowance per person. Can't see us getting better than that and means we can also still fly with Emirates.

booked with emirates to Perth for 24th June. No additional baggage other than the standard 30 Kilos. you may however purchase up to a maximum of 25 kilos excess baggage online 24 hours before departure. you get a 20% discount on the price when you purchase online

I would recommend Singapore Airlines. I had to go with Emirates as I had to make a stopover at Dubai and hence did not have a choice

What is IOM please?

What if you are on a spouse visa and open an ANZ account? wanting to fly with emirates - thanks

A spouse visa doesn't qualify.

You get 30kg as standard on Emirates, so 10 more than with SA. Qantas and BA are doing better deals on excess now if you read the small print.

When travelling on a spouse visa you do not get double luggage allowance. But Singapore gave us an extra 5Kg as a good will gesture.

Not quite true - if you're travelling on an unvalidated spouse PR visa (subclass 100) you can get double luggage allowance from Singapore Airlines (even if you have a return ticket). Am speaking from personal experience...

My husband flew emirates today and was five kilos over they only charged him for 3kilos,a whopping £110.We live in ireland and posting is a much cheaper option then excess baggage,i was sure he would get away with it,so be careful!

Had a word with ANz bank Uk operative today--she said if we open an account with them, which we can do whilst in the Uk, they will send us a link which will help us get 50kg per person. As a family of five that would be a whopping 250kgs! I'd need to buy some boxes for that!

Had a word with ANz bank Uk operative today--she said if we open an account with them, which we can do whilst in the Uk, they will send us a link which will help us get 50kg per person. As a family of five that would be a whopping 250kgs! I'd need to buy some boxes for that!

Who do you fly with to get the allowance? :smile:

Guest wasifsaleem
Hi, wanted up to date info re how to get extra baggage allowance when emigrating to Oz. some other posts are a few years old and understand rules may have changed. we want to fly with Emirates. has anyone managed to get extra allowance because they're emigrating? how did you do this? the person from Emirates I spoke to said you can get discount of 20% on excess baggage when booking online, however you'd still have to pay for the excess.....

Well my experience is different. I emailed IOM office http://www.iom.int/jahia/Jahia/pid/1820, (email: osu@iom.int, hq@iom.int). They connected me through their Islamabad office. I called them and asked the ticket information. They informed me that, if I will buy the ticket from them I will get 20% discount in the air-fairs per ticket and each passenger will be allowed to carry 40Kg luggage without extra charges.

So you can email them and they will connect you with your local IOM office and I am pretty hopeful that they will guide you accordingly. And as you know luggage carrying limit is mentioned on the ticket. Hope my reply will help you. cheers...:))

You can get this discount through IOM and they will give you the bookings for Emirates Airlines.

There are two en-routes:

-Dubai-->Melbourne

-Dubai-->Singapore-->Melbourne

If you consider this information worthy for your exception please click on "like" ....cheers :)))

Guest wasifsaleem
What if you are on a spouse visa and open an ANZ account? wanting to fly with emirates - thanks

IOM gives this facility for one time to each family member...either flying together or separately...cheers :)))

Well my experience is different. I emailed IOM office http://www.iom.int/jahia/Jahia/pid/1820, (email: osu@iom.int, hq@iom.int). They connected me through their Islamabad office. I called them and asked the ticket information. They informed me that, if I will buy the ticket from them I will get 20% discount in the air-fairs per ticket and each passenger will be allowed to carry 40Kg luggage without extra charges.

So you can email them and they will connect you with your local IOM office and I am pretty hopeful that they will guide you accordingly. And as you know luggage carrying limit is mentioned on the ticket. Hope my reply will help you. cheers...:))

You can get this discount through IOM and they will give you the bookings for Emirates Airlines. There are two en-routes:

-Dubai-->Melbourne

-Dubai-->Singapore-->Melbourne

Does IOM only offer discounted flights through Emirates, Wasif?

Guest wasifsaleem
Does IOM only offer discounted flights through Emirates, Wasif?

No there are two more air-lines I don't remember their names, I will confirm tomorrow and share for sure....cheers :)))

Archived