Anyone heard of 'Jim's Mowing'?

Dugong

Guest Count Zero
Hello

My other half is a landscape gardener. Just browsing the net and came across Jim's Mowing . Has anyone heard of or bought a 'Jim's Mowing' franchise? Any info would be appreciated!

Thankyou:notworthy:

I knew someone in Cairns that had one. He got out of it because he found he got more work by advertising himself and word of mouth, cut out the middle man. It might be OK to start off with though. We got someone who put a flyer in our mail box.

Guest chris_mac

LOL.. Jim has a million businesses all over Australia... I was sick of seeing his face on all the bill boards... However, it is good advice by the last post... Use Jim to get on your feet...

Good luck!

My friends bought one and her husband ended up getting money out of them because he did not get the amount of work they said he would. Mind you I would give my friends oh money too he is like a terrier.

Personally when I want someone I look in the local rag and get someone local don't go for the Jim thing and such other franchises.

:smile:

Guest Brickie

A person I know bought a franchise and was told the area was all his within 6 months they told him they were going to cut his round in half and sell the other half to someone else, and they did too.

There is plenty of grass growing that needs mowing without buying into a franchise.

Guest The Pom Queen

We employ a Jims Mowing and I must admit I keep calling the poor guy Jim, oh dear. We were looking for someone and he was filling up at the servo so i pounced on him, umm not literally may I add. I think a lot of people use them because the name is known and they are a reputable firm. It may be a good idea to get your OH on his feet and then he can branch off on his own.

Guest Brickie
seems Jim is into all sorts of things

I tried to give you some lovin but Ive got to spread it around first, makes me sound cheap.....:twitcy:

• 4 months later...
LOL.. Jim has a million businesses all over Australia... I was sick of seeing his face on all the bill boards... However, it is good advice by the last post... Use Jim to get on your feet...

Good luck!

I always believed if you wanted to go into a business of your own then look at what is successful and copy it, franchise makes the originator rich only! in most cases.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jankroo

I believe it all depends on luck... of the round I new someone who paid $27.000 for a round

from Jim's Mowing which wasn't as adventurous as it sounded ..young paid the $'s then needed to work half the year to pay for it quite hard going if you have a home loan & a family to support. There's work around if your any good we have our own landscape business and usually employ casuals depending on job..

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi,

Just out of interest, how much do these charge just to cut grass in Oz?

Kind regards - Joe

We have a 900 block and he charges us $40, but there is many a time he will come and visit and say it doesn't need doing so he doesn't rip us off.

Guest colletteblue
I knew someone in Cairns that had one. He got out of it because he found he got more work by advertising himself and word of mouth, cut out the middle man. It might be OK to start off with though. We got someone who put a flyer in our mail box.

just wondering if anyone can help, i you bought a franchise would it get you a visa

thanks in advance

bill

• 6 months later...
Guest ABCDiamond

Speaking from an ex-accountants point of view... I agree with you :laugh:

Franchising is a great way to make money, normally at the expense of the person buying the franchise.

If you are capable of doing it yourself, then try to do so first.

Jim's mowing is a very well known organisation, but it isn't like a Macdonalds franchise.

Stick some leaflets in the letterboxes in the area you want to cover, and your success rate will probably not be much different to buying a mowing franchise.

Think about it from the householders point of view...

Would you pay a local independent man or woman with mower, or one of Jims ?

Most people would not think that there would be much difference.

However, a franchise is sometimes a useful way to help in getting a visa. I do know of people that have taken that route, and then moved on to other occupations. But it isn't a cheap option, especially if the franchised business fails.

Guest ABCDiamond
Speaking from an ex-accountants point of view... I agree with you :laugh:

Now that the quote has gone, I don't know who or what I was agreeing with :laugh:

Good way to advertise Jims mowing on this forum lol

The thread posing the question was first started in September 08 and Tim owner of the site has contributed earlier and therefore allowed the 'advertising'. If you would like to advertise on the Forum, if you contact Tim i'm sure you can come to some arrangement.

Ali

Good way to advertise Jims mowing on this forum lol

Hii,

Welcome to the forum - as Ali has said we do allow members to advertise their services in signatures so long as they contribute to the forum in a valueable way. Just coming on here to advertise a product is against the forum rule and such posts are removed from the forum.

Tim

I owned a business in home services and knew Jim's mowing franchisees. There is nothing wrong with them to say of, but you know if you are a hard worker and can get out there and get word of mouth, there is plenty of lawnmowing, gardening and especially rubbish taking away jobs you can start yourself. If you are friendly and honest, charge reasonably, then you should get some work.

Hello

My other half is a landscape gardener. Just browsing the net and came across Jim's Mowing . Has anyone heard of or bought a 'Jim's Mowing' franchise? Any info would be appreciated!

Thankyou:notworthy:

Biggest of its type in the world- in the uk as well now !

I think at one time Jim's Mowing was a subsidiary of P&O Services. P&O port services was sold to a Dubai company, P&O passenger liners to Carnival, all the other subsidiaries were then sold off to many different buyers. Whoever bought Jim's Mowing seems to have expanded the business, seems to be more Franchises covering many more services.

Archived