The best place to spend Christmas in Oz!?

1875HFC

Slightly premature considering its only August however I arrive in September to Melbourne and time will soon fly by. I am wondering where you folks consider the best place to spend Xmas for backpackers as family isnt really in the equation unfortunately! Internal Australian flights will increase no doubt between now and then so maybe booking something sooner if I am to leave Melbourne for Xmas might be a good idea!

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Guest jak2503

as a backpacker I think its either Sydney for newyears or most I know head to qld and go to airli beach. (might have spelt that wrong)

I spent my first one as a backpacker on Bondi Beach. Actually found it a big let down plus the weather wasn't great.

Second one I spent in Melbourne in a hostel as I was going to the Boxing Day Test. Had a great time with great people.

Yes Sydney Harbour for NYE is great. But make sure you book a hostel now!

I was actually wondering this one too. I saw the fireworks last yr in Sydney for new yr on a 3 week holiday there, kinda fancying something different this yr for Xmas and new year as my first Xmas ever spent away I'd like it to b different and memorable for good reasons. Kinda tempted to look at working and learning to surf at surf camp for 3 months and mayb spending Xmas as part of that there if they do anything but need to enquire what they do

Do they still cage them in on Bondi on Christmas day? A form of separation anyway as to not upset the other beach goers. Never been there on the day but Brit back packers used to swear that was the place to be.

With the cricket in Melbourne though I'd be more inclined to be there. With England riding so tall in the cricket invade the place and paint it red and white. It'll be a great blast far better than Bondi and with the cheaper dollar perhaps an England turn out of old.

Bondi beach on Christmas Day sounds incredibly naff to me, but perhaps I am just getting too old to see the attraction. I like quiet beaches not crowded ones. NYE inSydney sounds even more horrendous, all that waiting around all day and then not being able to get home easily very off putting. I would like to see the fireworks at least once though so doing that this year, I booked a hotel in city centre on 1st January this year (it is really hard to find hotels and most want you to book three night) and then booked one of the restaurants with harbour view, so I should avoid most of my crowds anxiety that way.

To be honest, I would probably not focus too much on Christmas, it just isn't the same here anyway.

Bondi beach on Christmas Day sounds incredibly naff to me, but perhaps I am just getting too old to see the attraction. I like quiet beaches not crowded ones. NYE inSydney sounds even more horrendous, all that waiting around all day and then not being able to get home easily very off putting. I would like to see the fireworks at least once though so doing that this year, I booked a hotel in city centre on 1st January this year (it is really hard to find hotels and most want you to book three night) and then booked one of the restaurants with harbour view, so I should avoid most of my crowds anxiety that way.

To be honest, I would probably not focus too much on Christmas, it just isn't the same here anyway.

It's far better; summer, blazing sun, cold drinks, bbq prawns, surf and sand etc. etc.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

It's far better; summer, blazing sun, cold drinks, bbq prawns, surf and sand etc. etc.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

I am sill trying hard to convince myself of that, will be making a big effort with a seafood Christmas dinner this year. Actually the two Christmases I have been here it has poured with rain all day long, the other year I went to Las Vegas instead.

I am sill trying hard to convince myself of that, will be making a big effort with a seafood Christmas dinner this year. Actually the two Christmases I have been here it has poured with rain all day long, the other year I went to Las Vegas instead.

Jo spent a Christmas Day preparing the dinner in 104 F temps when we lived in Kununurra. Since then we have cold chicken. prawns and seafood. A walk on the beach at 6 AM followed by the usual pressies opening etc.

Cheers, Bobj.

Book now! I'm doing all this at the mo and there's Barely anything left (double rooms that is but dorms are thin on the ground too)

I've been debating staying Xmas at Bondi and NYE centre but lots of hostels have minimum stays of 7-15 days and trip advisor advise travel to Bondi on Xmas day shouldn't be too tricky.

I really don't fancy waking up Xmas morning to a scummy hostel so thinking of splashing out on a decent hotel for the 4 days over Xmas then hosteling for NYE but also looking at private rentals for the whole period which can work out cheaper. Just thinking if we avoid hostels, then we won't meet people to celebrate with as easy?? All confusing....

Anyway, all the decent hostels have sold out doubles for NYE or are charging 100 dollars plus for a dorm so we're looking at Elephant which is well located for NYE and min 7 nts or Jolly Swagman which is further out into The Cross so should be very sociable but has a min 14 nt stay over NYE.

Some interesting thoughts folks, nice one! so is there any hostels in sydney that would be recommended to stay in for this period of time so they are accessible for Bondi and the Harbour for the fireworks on NYE?

Get googling! You have possibly left it too late already, Sydney is PACKED for New Years Eve.

I appreciate that I might not be some peoples cup of tea, but the England Cricket Supporters are having a big Christmas dinner in Crown. If I am still in Melbourne on December 25th that's where I will hope to be.

I'm up for this. I want to watch the Boxing Day Test, especially since its the Ashes too! :)