SkillSelect New Visa Subclasses Announced

xenos1987

Hey guys,

Not sure whether this question sounds stupid,

My occupation is on the SMP list, but not on the SOL, Can I still apply under the new system after July 2012?

Thanks

If your occupation is on the SMP, but you cant see it on the SOL - try looking on SOL 2 (SOL 1 you dont need SS for). http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest laurag

Hi,

Just need to clarify.. We will have to go through skills select now, and wanted WA state sponsorship. Once July 1st hits and skillselect is implemented ( we will still be awaiting vetassess results) can we still go to the WA state and get sponsorship along with putting in EOI or is the only way for state sponsorship to acknowledge it on the EOI?

Thank you,

Laura.

Hi,

Just need to clarify.. We will have to go through skills select now, and wanted WA state sponsorship. Once July 1st hits and skillselect is implemented ( we will still be awaiting vetassess results) can we still go to the WA state and get sponsorship along with putting in EOI or is the only way for state sponsorship to acknowledge it on the EOI?

Thank you,

Laura.

Hi Laura,

As far as I know, the state will have to pick you once an interest has been expressed. Take at a look at this article for a better understanding. Good luck!

http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/2011/12/13/skillselect-%E2%80%93-rankings-and-invitations-explained/

Hey guys. I appreciate all your help and feedback. Unfortunately, because of how busy I am these days (I'm a PM on a construction project which is wrapping up this summer), I've decided to use a migrant agent. The one I'm using came under great recommendation and I'd feel way more confident knowing that an expert is handling my case.

Anyways, as for VETASSESS, my agent is going the other direction with my paperwork and pursuing an assessment with Engineering Australia. Because I acquired a degree in a credited undergraduate program, I can apply under the Washington Accord, which has an anticipated turnaround time of four weeks (as per their website). But, we'll see how it goes!

toOZ2012, maybe I can get your feedback on this seeing as you've dealt with the same assessment authority.

if you dont mind me asking which agent your using im in the process of trying to find a good one

Guest Robbie7

Hi there ,

I spoke with an reputable immigration agent this morning .Who advised if I meet the 65 points mark after the July changes the WA SS the invitation will be send straight away, in about a month . Does this sound correct ? If so why bother changing anything ?

I believe that the states and/or employers will seek you out under the new SkillSelect process once you have filed an EOI. For some, this will mean that the process is a lot simpler. The changes are happening because at the moment you apply for a visa and wait for DIAC to assess your case etc. In future, you can only apply for a visa if you have been invited to do so. For some, this may never happen and this is why people are worrying as there is not a lot of information at the moment.

Guest aamod

I got my skill assessed through VETASS and took 20 weeks. They are taking bit time and the volume of the application has increased.

Sorry if it's been posted before but thought this could be of general interest: http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/2012/05/14/busting-the-myths-about-skillselect/

SkillSelect will be a major change to how Australia manages its skilled migration program. There is much talk about the changes, and as with anything new, not everything you hear is always correct. This blog busts some of the myths we’ve heard about SkillSelect.

Myth 1 - SkillSelect only affects points tested visas—formally known as General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas.

A common myth is that SkillSelect will only affect the independent skilled migration program- this is not true.

If you are interested in applying for a skilled visa after 1 July 2012, you may have to use SkillSelect depending on your visa preference/s. Therefore, it is important you understand how SkillSelect will affect you and your visa options.

It will be compulsory to submit a complete expression of interest (EOI) and receive an invitation before you can lodge a visa application for the following visa programs:

• Subclass 189 Skilled – Independent (Permanent) (Class SI)

• Subclass 190 Skilled – Sponsored (Permanent) (Class SK)

• Subclass 489 – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) (Class SP)

• Business Skills visa program.

It is optional (although highly recommended) to submit an EOI to be found and contacted by an employer for the following visas programs:

• Subclass 186 – Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) (Class EN)

• Subclass 187 – Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) (Class RN)

• Subclass 457 – Temporary Business (Long Stay) (Class UC)

More information on visa options can be found on the SkillSelect website.

Myth 2 – I can’t submit an EOI for more than one visa.

You will be able to submit an EOI for one, a few or all skilled visas in the one EOI. You do not need to submit multiple EOIs.

SkillSelect is a free online service, and by expressing interest in more than one skilled visa, you could increase your chances of being found by a state or territory government or employer who needs your skills.

Myth 3 – It will still be expensive and time consuming for employers to find skilled workers.

SkillSelect will make finding overseas skilled workers easy for employers and help ease skill shortages through managed migration.

A key function of SkillSelect is to assist in easing skills shortages through providing Australian employers with access to a pool of intending skilled migrants who are seeking employer sponsorship on either a temporary or permanent basis.

SkillSelect is ideal for employers wanting to quickly identify options for resolving specific skill shortages. It will really help employers operating small to medium businesses who have found it difficult, expensive and time consuming to find workers in the past. SkillSelect is targeted, convenient, a free service, and is without any obligation to sponsor. Employers will be able to easily search across a number of key selection criteria such as experience, qualifications, language skills and willingness to work and live outside major metropolitan centres.

Once suitable skilled workers are identified, employers are able to send a message in SkillSelect to the skilled worker notifying them of their interest in discussing employment and sponsorship opportunities. When sponsorship arrangements have been established, the skilled worker’s EOI details are seamlessly transferred from SkillSelect to final assessment and processing systems, saving time for everyone.

Myth 4 – I can intentionally embellish my claims on my EOI to increase my points score and likelihood of getting an invitation.

There are some serious potential risks in providing false and misleading information in your EOI.

If you are invited to apply for a visa, the information in your EOI will be used as part of your visa application. You will then need to confirm your claims and submit evidence with your application.

If you provide false or misleading information on your EOI and receive an invitation based on this information, your application may be refused. If your visa application is refused you will lose your visa application charge and may also be subject to a bar which prevents the grant of a further visa.

Myth 5 -The introduction of SkillSelect will mean less skilled visas will be granted.

This is not true.

Each year the government announces the number of places in the migration program as part of the Budget. This announcement on the program size is what determines the number of skilled visas available each year.

In the 2012–13 Budget an additional 3400 places will be allocated to the skilled migration program—this is a total of 129 250 places.

SkillSelect will not increase or reduce the overall number of visas granted. It will only determine who is able to lodge a visa application for the independent, family sponsored, state/territory nominated and business skills visas. The target number of skilled visas granted will be the same as the number set by government in the Budget.

Have you heard any other myths about SkillSelect? Leave us a comment and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the new process.

Guest melanie79

thanks toOZ2012!!!!:Myth 2 – I can’t submit an EOI for more than one visa

ive been looking for the answer for that for a while now! phew!

also can i ask you a question? in your timeline tou speak of a grant with your visa. what is that?

mel x

thanks toOZ2012!!!!:Myth 2 – I can’t submit an EOI for more than one visa

ive been looking for the answer for that for a while now! phew!

also can i ask you a question? in your timeline tou speak of a grant with your visa. what is that?

mel x

Hi Mel,

It's just short for 'grant of a visa' :)

Guest Skyline

Hi all,I've read that subclass 190 visa allows visa holder to live and work anywhere in Australia.This is one is the sublass 176.Looks like one does not need to stay in the sponsoring state which is an advantage.

Guest Nyla

Hi there,

I'm looking for an agent and just wondering if you would be able to recommend someone. I'm not even sure if i have right skills and qualifications to apply for a visa, although ive contacted a few agents and they only seem interested their fees first and foremost.

Hi there,

I'm looking for an agent and just wondering if you would be able to recommend someone. I'm not even sure if i have right skills and qualifications to apply for a visa, although ive contacted a few agents and they only seem interested their fees first and foremost.

If an agent is talking about money and fees first, then they are probably not the one to go for. Remember not all agents are the same.

Hi all,I've read that subclass 190 visa allows visa holder to live and work anywhere in Australia.This is one is the sublass 176.Looks like one does not need to stay in the sponsoring state which is an advantage.

This is the question I asked on the DIAC blog http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/201...t-skillselect/ and they confirmed your understanding is correct. Not sure how/if the state specific sols are going to change to take this into account - otherwise people will surely just obtain state nomination from what ever state has their occupation on their list (or quickest to process/cheapest/easiest) regardless of whether or not they actually intend on moving there. It'll be interesting to see how it actually work come July.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shash1

Hi everybody, can anybody tell me about validity of TRA (whichone we get our designated trade before applying for VISA) my brother got this in 2006

thanks & regards

Does anyone else think they may release more info tomorrow, 1 June, that would be a month before it goes "live" or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

I was kind of hoping this would be the case. Keeping everything crossed, the sooner the release more info the sooner we can decide how best to act upon it!

I was kind of hoping this would be the case. Keeping everything crossed, the sooner the release more info the sooner we can decide how best to act upon it!

Bang goes my invite to Psychics R Us then, just checked again and Nada. I was convinced they would publish info today. I suspect that they will wait until 1 July and just let us stew:mad:

Archived