Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Hi,

Has anyone got a degree after their coc1 (MSc, MBA etc). Need to know if these degrees need to be assessed by any authority before you can claim the 15 points?

Did ask AMSA if they would assess my MSc(Maritime Studies) too, all they advised is to send the documents I think are related. Not very clear.

Hi,

Has anyone got a degree after their coc1 (MSc, MBA etc). Need to know if these degrees need to be assessed by any authority before you can claim the 15 points?

Did ask AMSA if they would assess my MSc(Maritime Studies) too, all they advised is to send the documents I think are related. Not very clear.

As far as I know AMSA won't accept anything higher than an advanced diploma. At least that is what my skills assessment letter stated.

Regarding the degree, I think that you can claim the 15 points (instead of the 10, in that section) if you get a full transcript of the degree and submit with your visa application.

You will, of course, still need to do the AMSA skills assessment.

You might be best to ask an agent in case I am saying the wrong thing here, but I'm pretty confident that is how it works.

Pretty much agree with views of Capt C as I also claimed 15 points since i have degree instead of 10 points of advance Diploma awarded by AMSA after the orals

Hi,

Hi, anyone has managed to land a job ashore in australia. Based on experience of people in different industry, it only is possible to land a job once you are in Australia after getting the 189/190. Is it the same with maritime jobs ashore? Was wondering, as to if it is worth quiting an existing job here in singapore? would be a gamble !!

Hi, anyone has managed to land a job ashore in australia. Based on experience of people in different industry, it only is possible to land a job once you are in Australia after getting the 189/190. Is it the same with maritime jobs ashore? Was wondering, as to if it is worth quiting an existing job here in singapore? would be a gamble !!

That's possible (and probable) for a lot of jobs. But there are several people who have secured employment from overseas. It takes a lot of hard work to research the whole market and apply to the jobs, but some of it will be based on right place, right time.

I wouldn't like to comment on whether you should quit your job and move though!

That's possible (and probable) for a lot of jobs. But there are several people who have secured employment from overseas. It takes a lot of hard work to research the whole market and apply to the jobs, but some of it will be based on right place, right time.

I wouldn't like to comment on whether you should quit your job and move though!

i have tried seek and a few other job sites, the kind of jobs they display seem to be defence related. Its quite difficult to come across the conventional shipping jobs like superintendency, training or operation etc. As for the job quitting part, i think a no paid leave option would be ideal.

i have tried seek and a few other job sites, the kind of jobs they display seem to be defence related. Its quite difficult to come across the conventional shipping jobs like superintendency, training or operation etc. As for the job quitting part, i think a no paid leave option would be ideal.

The jobs are definitely there, although not advertised in abundance, it's practically the same in the UK though, so I'm used to that. Try searching for the companies based in Australia and contacting them directly.

Oh yeah, my bad, I remember the conversation now. Still, I have no idea why it took so long, bizarre!

AHP20 is excellent. I bought it and quickly realised that it was the best publication for the Orals.

Looking at all the papers, I reckon that 99% of the Orals have a question about the 'PIC', the 'HSR' and issuing a PIN, also 'Duty of Care' in relation to OH&S seems to come up a lot. If you know these things, the basics of the MO's and your general second mate stuff then you'll smash it.

Agreed Captain C even they asked me regarding MERCOM

how much in depth do they go into the MOs. I was going through the first two, MO 1 & 2, quite confusing. The other ones like 31 etc are more to the point and easy to understand.

Hello dnp pls. go through the following MOs -11,16,21,28,30,31,32,34,41,42,58,63 as it is not possible to read all and most of the questions are from these MOs as per my experience.

Dear CaptK!

When did you lodge your application? Have you got CO assigned?

Pretty much agree with views of Capt C as I also claimed 15 points since i have degree instead of 10 points of advance Diploma awarded by AMSA after the orals
Edited by Chief Mate S

Hello dnp pls. go through the following MOs -11,16,21,28,30,31,32,34,41,42,58,63 as it is not possible to read all and most of the questions are from these MOs as per my experience.

Actually, you've missed off a fair number of important ones there.

Well

Its' a 2 day course which is available in colleges in Australia.

Not required before the orals.

But required before you apply for the COR.

Cheers

Ohhk.

In that case I can do the case even after my visa has been approved.

If your Advanced fire fighting and Proficiency in Survival Crafts and Rescue boats withing five years, AMSA will not ask you to do Continued Competence Course

Hi,

What is the continued competence course. Is this course required before one can appear for the COR orals.

If your Advanced fire fighting and Proficiency in Survival Crafts and Rescue boats withing five years, AMSA will not ask you to do Continued Competence Course

Even if they are in date your initial letter inviting you to sit the orals will still have it on there, it's just a form letter they send out it seems. Mine had it on there anyway.

Even if they are in date your initial letter inviting you to sit the orals will still have it on there, it's just a form letter they send out it seems. Mine had it on there anyway.

Must be a new standard form letter, within the last year. It didn't have this requirement on some applicants letters but did on others.