British Backpacker Jailed in Cairns

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

A BRITISH backpacker will spend the next two months behind bars before being deported after a magistrate found him guilty of seriously assaulting a police officer at a Palm Cove caravan park.

Lewis Whiteside, 22, hugged his ex-girlfriend and co-accused Sally Summersgill, 21, as he was led into the watch-house after magistrate Jane Bentley sentenced him yesterday.

The pair and their friend Stephan Jarrett, 31, had pleaded not guilty to charges – which included obstructing and assaulting police officers – during an incident at Palm Cove on September 29, 2011. Police were called to the caravan park after Whiteside and Summersgill were heard arguing.

Whiteside was found guilty of four charges, the most serious being an assault on Sgt David Harrold during which the officer was kicked in the groin and punched in the head after trying to arrest the backpacker for public nuisance. Police prosecutor Tony Loudon urged Ms Bentley to jail Whiteside, saying it would be a "travesty" if he was sent back to the UK without any real punishment. "The police are entitled to be protected … and a message does need to be sent to the community, especially in a town where street violence is a problem … that this will be dealt with seriously by the courts," Mr Loudon said.

Guest AKA63029

Bloody hell Kate, Palm Cove has gone to the dogs since I left.

Saying that everyone was too drunk to get in a fight when I was there.

Cost me a bloody fortune to keep everyone 'happy'.:laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ajay72

I don't know much about what happend at the Palm cove Caravan park, But the dealing I had with this Scum of the earth Seargant from the smithfeild police Is he is a low life Scumbag that does not deserve to wear the uniform and gives all other Police a bad name. after a miner traffic accident he threatend my partner and got in her face and told her to tell him what he wants to hear. it was then that I stepped in and was about to smack this moron that another officer pulled him away. he later got in my face and said he would love to put me away for assault on an officer and I should try to have a go. he also did all this in front of three young girls all under eight. and my partner was not even a part of the accident..

Well if you do the crime ya gotta be prepared to pay for your actions! 2 months in jail might give the pup some manners!

Think it could be best to wait for the facts to come out before passing judgement. Although saying that it is doughtful that the full truth will be known. I've no idea the fellow may well be an undisirable, but the police history over forty years is far from impressive,with a lot of corruption and collective bad behaviour.

All I say is keep an open mind and don't assume that the police side is always the correct side. That would be a very false assumption.

Unfortunately there will always be one who allows the authority to go their head, i 'met' a female one the week we landed, she actually threw my driving licence at me as it was UK one whilst saying ''what use is this to me?'' ... For once i didnt bite,lol,,i guess its always best to bite your tongue ,get their number and report them chances are if they are so aggresive with you they will have done it to someone else and other reports will have been made.

Cal x

Archived