Miserable after having Medicals :(

Guest Lucy Furness

Guest Lucy Furness

We had our medicals in London today, and I have to say I've come out feeling thoroughly miserable after being referred.

I've had a history of small-ish health issues, none of which are recent (apart from an ectopic pregnancy last week, which was awful and I needed emergency surgery for). SIGH.

My history was in 2000 I had treatment for alcohol dependency, but only very briefly as I'd had a melt-down following some tough times. Sorted myself out, cleaned up very quickly and now live a very normal life with no problems. In 2005/6 I was prescribed mild anti-depressants for anxiety, which again was a short spell. No probs after! Had a blood test and my liver test was a bit high but the doctors blamed it on the antidepressants, as they were fine after stopping.

Todays medicals went quite badly I think. The doctor is referring me to a psychiatrist (another £350!!!!!!) and wants statements from my doctors and tons of bloods done. I feel really gutted. Like everything from my past has come back and bitten me on the backside, even though now I lead a normal life, run a business, I'm a mum, a home-owner, no drink/drug issues, settled etc etc....

I'm so worried that my past will affect my future. I could have cried at the medicals today when she interrogated me about my history. It felt awful trying to explain myself, one thing after another. Hated it.

So now I have the wait for the statement then a psychiatric evaluation, to decide whether I can come to Oz.

Plain old miserable, and worried I've ruined my family's chance to go. :(

I assumed that I wouldn't be seen as a burden to society with these previous issues? I'm so worried now. :sad:

There was me thinking if I brought all the supporting documents from my doctor, it'd help... I think it did the opposite! Too much info given me thinks? Tut.

Regardless of whether anyone actually reads this, I feel better for venting it! Cheers!

Oh no poor you...hopefully it will all turn out ok (apart from the additional cost) - hopefully someone will be able to help out if they have been in a similar position. I was so worried when I went to the medical as I had a car crash 30 minutes before the appt., I thought my blood pressure would be through the roof, but luckily that was ok. I did have a minor problem with one of the tests but just had to re-test and it went through ok. Fingers crossed for you.

We had our medicals in London today, and I have to say I've come out feeling thoroughly miserable after being referred.

I've had a history of small-ish health issues, none of which are recent (apart from an ectopic pregnancy last week, which was awful and I needed emergency surgery for). SIGH.

My history was in 2000 I had treatment for alcohol dependency, but only very briefly as I'd had a melt-down following some tough times. Sorted myself out, cleaned up very quickly and now live a very normal life with no problems. In 2005/6 I was prescribed mild anti-depressants for anxiety, which again was a short spell. No probs after! Had a blood test and my liver test was a bit high but the doctors blamed it on the antidepressants, as they were fine after stopping.

Todays medicals went quite badly I think. The doctor is referring me to a psychiatrist (another £350!!!!!!) and wants statements from my doctors and tons of bloods done. I feel really gutted. Like everything from my past has come back and bitten me on the backside, even though now I lead a normal life, run a business, I'm a mum, a home-owner, no drink/drug issues, settled etc etc....

I'm so worried that my past will affect my future. I could have cried at the medicals today when she interrogated me about my history. It felt awful trying to explain myself, one thing after another. Hated it.

So now I have the wait for the statement then a psychiatric evaluation, to decide whether I can come to Oz.

Plain old miserable, and worried I've ruined my family's chance to go. :(

I assumed that I wouldn't be seen as a burden to society with these previous issues? I'm so worried now. :sad:

There was me thinking if I brought all the supporting documents from my doctor, it'd help... I think it did the opposite! Too much info given me thinks? Tut.

Regardless of whether anyone actually reads this, I feel better for venting it! Cheers!

I hope you will be ok as all of your issues have been in the past so try to be positive, you have had a sh7t day and will have to pay some extra money but hopefully it will be worth it in the end, chin up and good luck :wubclub:

I think people have got through no problem with some far more serious medical issues, so chin up, I'm sure you will be OK

It's so wrong that minor anti-depressant use should get dragged up years later. At times in the past I've thought I could have done with some treatment but have always avoided it for precisely that issue

Really sorry to hear about your ectopic pregnancy too, how horrible for you. Good luck

Guest Lucy Furness

Thanks guys!

Yup... it's been a really bad week, with the operation then the rubbish medicals in the space of 7 days! yuk!

I'm just feeling sorry for myself I guess. My husband and daughter sailed through their medicals, as expected! It annoys me that minor things from way back when get dragged up and create obstacles, just at the time we thought we were nearly through!

I'm going to book an urgent appointment with my lovely GP tomorrow and get her to write a more detailed letter telling them I'm FINE!

Our DIAC thingy has already changed online.. that was quick. Must. Think. Positive! :)

Thanks guys!

Yup... it's been a really bad week, with the operation then the rubbish medicals in the space of 7 days! yuk!

I'm just feeling sorry for myself I guess. My husband and daughter sailed through their medicals, as expected! It annoys me that minor things from way back when get dragged up and create obstacles, just at the time we thought we were nearly through!

I'm going to book an urgent appointment with my lovely GP tomorrow and get her to write a more detailed letter telling them I'm FINE!

Our DIAC thingy has already changed online.. that was quick. Must. Think. Positive! :)

Good for you, thats the spirit :notworthy:

Feel for you but I guess its just on a list of things that have to be ticked or referred not personal to you but to many people. I take antidepressants all the time and have done for years and so do most of the population of Australia according to statistics so I would not worry about it.

Mental illness is no different to having any other kind of illness and being referred and you are fine so don't worry before it happens.

Lucy, I've just re - read your post.

So sorry to hear the ectopic was so recent and it sounds like you were probably very upset at the medical.

It doesn't sound like you'll have a problem.

It might be worth getting your GP to write a letrere on your behalf to take to the Psychiatrist.

You'll get through and Aus is a great place.

Good luck.

Guest GeorgeD

You can't change your medical history, so don't dwell on it as there's nothing you can do about it. There are lots of people whose medicals are referred who may or may not need further investigation. It's not unusual, so it doesn't need to be a barrier to your visa. Enlist your Doc for help, a letter from your GP can be used as evidence. DIAC may indeed want a separate evaluation carried out, but that's fine, because you'll sail through that too. And when you do, you've passed your medical. It's just going to take a littel longer than your family's did, but don't worry about it.

Sounds bad at first but lets look on the bright side. The doctor may be being very thorough and is trying to get to the bottom of your problems, which may have never been diagnosed correctly. You might find after your visit to the psychiatrist and blood tests that they recommend a course of action or medication which will help. My Mum had mental problems and several "nervous breakdowns" as I was growing up. Not until later on in life did she have a range of tests which found she is lacking in lithium in her blood. She has been on medication for years now and it changed her life for the better.

You have had some bad luck and issues in the past but you seem to have put all that behind you and I can't see that will affect your application.

Good luck.

It sounds to me like you were understandably stressed out at the medical. The doctor is probably aware of this, but as a doctor, if he has any suspicion there's a possibility it might be a medical issue, he has to get it checked.

The blood tests/psychiatrist are just to double check there isn't something wrong. And worst case, if they do pick something up, it's highly unlikely to be anything that's going to be ridiculously expensive to treat and in any way jeopardise your visa. More likely some sort of blood imbalance as Paul1Perth suggested, which you're better off having diagnosed and treated, than move to Australia and be miserable because of some small medical problem you're unaware of.

We have a saying. Don't ask don't tell. If they don't specifically ask about something, then don't tell them!

I honestly forget all the questions on the medicals. But for example, if it asks if you ever took anti-depressants, then you'd obviously have to say yes. However, if it asked if you were ever diagnosed with depression...well were you officially diagnosed? Maybe you were depressed, but did a doctor give you an official diagnosis of depression? If not, then you would truthfully answer no. Now...I would never advocate outright lying...but read the questions carefully and give as short (and honest) an answer as possible. Questions needing a Yes or No shouldn't be answered "No, but..."

That said...they're more worried about your health right now. Specifically, they're mostly worried about how much they expect you'd cost the Australian Taxpayer. A thousand or two a year in Medicare costs, not a problem. $20,000 or more, possible problem. And easier said than done, but you have to try to remain calm through all this. If you have a breakdown during your psychiatric evaluation, they might not care that they're the ones that did it to you :( Just go, answer honestly, try to relax, and come here to vent :)

I'm sorry you've had a bad time with your medicals... Another reason maybe I'm thinking why they wanted to refer you to a psych is to assess your mental state after your ectopic pregnancy? I know that sometimes it can be a lot more devastating than people let on and perhaps the doc wanted to make sure you didn't have other repercussions that could arise from it?

Sorry, was just my opinion and I had to put it in there. I'm sure you will get a clean bill of health! *fingers crossed for you*

Hi Lucy,

Sorry to hear you have had such an awful week. Wanted to come on and show some support. :hug:

I was thinking exactly what the last poster said, that a psychiatric evaluation might have been indicated, as you have had what I am sure was a very difficult and traumatic experience for you. I hope you have been able to take some comfort from your family, friends and loved ones around you.

Take care of yourself and let us know how things are for you xx

Guest Lucy Furness

Wow! Thanks to everyone who's posted.

I'm being super pro-active today and have booked blood work for this lunch time, called my medics in London to fax the panel my report for liver function tests, booked an appointment with my GP to make a letter stating my current (good?!) health, and basically am doing everything in my power to make this happen!

I told my husband I felt I'd let the family down with my stupid health issues, and he is being really sweet about it and says it's kind of how he felt when he failed the Vetassess the first time, like he'd let us all down and ruined it for the family. He then re-did the test (this time remembering to look at the page he'd missed out!) and passed!

We'll get there! We simply have to now~!

I hold my hands up to you Lucy for getting yourself better. The doc who performs the medical doesn't know you. They only know what they read. I am sure your GP will write a letter saying that you are well now and that your medical history is just that - History.

Best of Luck Lucy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lucy Furness

Yaaaay!

Checked online and my meds went from referred to finalised within a day! No trip to the shrink either!

I'm assuming this means I'm all good??????

Having spent the past weeks feeling like all was lost, today will most definitely be a happier day.

Hopefully now it's just a short wait until we get our golden ticket!

Happy and hopeful!

Thanks guys!

Lucy i am sure everything will be ok...when you say your DIAC page has changed..in what sence? Have hubby's and daughters been changed to met and yours refferred? I thought that was done in Oz somewhere...

We have ours tommorrow and i am now dreading it...i am a little on the overweight side so expecting to be refferred. My son also had an accident yesteday on his bike; with a car. He is OK though and lucky to escape with cuts and bruises although he very emotional.

Yaaaay!

Checked online and my meds went from referred to finalised within a day! No trip to the shrink either!

I'm assuming this means I'm all good??????

Having spent the past weeks feeling like all was lost, today will most definitely be a happier day.

Hopefully now it's just a short wait until we get our golden ticket!

Happy and hopeful!

Just read to the end of the thread, should have done that before answering, congrats and well done! the golden ticket will be just around the corner.

Archived