is anything cheap in oz?

vixxy666

Guest The Pom Queen
Question, how the hell do you get your electric so cheap. We are one of the ones who are paying $1000 a quarter. Plus our home insurance is $3k a year, mind you we do have a few trees around.

Just realised you have only been here 9 weeks, that may be why.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question, how the hell do you get your electric so cheap. We are one of the ones who are paying $1000 a quarter. Plus our home insurance is $3k a year, mind you we do have a few trees around.

I'm assuming the solar jobby heats the water rather than providing it, so their electric is just used for cooking and aircon, if you don't use much aircon, then those numbers could make sense.

edit to add, also their insurance is just contents, not building, that's probably why yours is higher?

Guest The Pom Queen
our electric is double that and wish our food bill was that low, we are lucky if ours is less than $350 a week ;)

Have to agree, we usually do a weekly shop that costs around $300 and then still end up calling in for other bits and pieces, food is our biggest outgoing, it's cheaper to eat out a lot of the time.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm assuming the solar jobby heats the water rather than providing it, so their electric is just used for cooking and aircon, if you don't use much aircon, then those numbers could make sense.

edit to add, also their insurance is just contents, not building, that's probably why yours is higher?

If getting solar hot water would bring my bills down by over 50% then it's something I'm going to look in to :yes:

Not having a go at you Haunted just so peeved at the cost of our electric.

Guest haunted1234

we have solar panels, so get cheaper electricity.......only use my air con an hour a day, and only have contents insurance as the house is rented, so landlord has buildings insurance...

give us a year when we own our own home and then ask me! I guarantee i'll be moaning then :o)

Guest haunted1234
If getting solar hot water would bring my bills down by over 50% then it's something I'm going to look in to :yes:

Not having a go at you Haunted just so peeved at the cost of our electric.

don't think you're having a go....yeah it heats the water...and runs the pool. we feed electric back to the grid and buy it back for almost half the cost. not sure how much it takes to fit solar panels though???

Guest The Pom Queen
we have solar panels, so get cheaper electricity.......only use my air con an hour a day, and only have contents insurance as the house is rented, so landlord has buildings insurance...

give us a year when we own our own home and then ask me! I guarantee i'll be moaning then :o)

Ahh Solar Panels, right that's it I will get them installed, Rob keeps nagging but we never seem to have the money to do it.

Also have to admit our aircon is usually on a lot of the time.

Guest The Pom Queen
don't think you're having a go....yeah it heats the water...and runs the pool. we feed electric back to the grid and buy it back for almost half the cost. not sure how much it takes to fit solar panels though???

We had a quote of $7,000 for a 3k system but I don't know if that's good or bad.

Guess it's a case of depends how much you'll be saving, how long it takes to pay for itself.

There's also a system you can get just for hot water, network of thin black tubes on the roof. Cheaper to install than solar panels, but would just save you the energy you use on heating water rather than other electrical stuff too.

We had a quote of $7,000 for a 3k system but I don't know if that's good or bad.

Our local paper is advertising 3kW systems for around $5000, (that's for the cheapest Chinese stuff, )

We have a 2.8kW system, just checked it and it has generated a total of 5500 kW in about 17 months.

Our usage is reasonably low, we are all electric , we don't have air conditioning but do have a new fangled "eco friendly" septic system that uses electricity to run (go figure that "green" logic)

We haven't had to pay for electricity since we had the system installed, and we are in credit.

We are in Mount Tamborine in the Gold Coast hinterland which gets very low cloud fairly regularly (think Dartmoor with palm trees) so the panels don't really work that well on those days, but the other days make up for that.

We did think about getting a smaller system plus solar hot water but decided to go with the bigger power system and keep the old electric HWS until it carks it. The extra power the bigger system makes covers the cost of heating the water.

Our local paper is advertising 3kW systems for around $5000, (that's for the cheapest Chinese stuff, )

Just to add, I visited a few solar panel factories in China last year and their product was top notch. They also have most certifications too, including British Standard. If it is cheaper and you have no qualms about buying Chinese you shouldn't have to worry about the quality :ssign19:

Guest guest17301
I think it's a very valid question, possibly the most pertinent question for prospective migrants. The exchange rate is woeful for people moving money from UK to Oz. Regardless of whether you're earning Aussie dollars, the one thing that used to be a 'banker', ie selling your UK house and being set up here, is no longer an option.

WRT the actual question, yes things are cheap here if you know where to look, and aren't too fussy re quality.

Clothes are dirt cheap eg at K mart. Not great quality, but dirt cheap.

Food is cheap if you buy meat in bulk from a wholesale butchers, and fruit and veg from a discount greengrocers (they sell 'seconds' but TBH the quality of the stuff is just as good as in the supermarket, often @ a 1/4 of the price) and buy as much stuff as possible from Aldi (TBH, the others are verging on criminality but they are slowly improving)

Petrol is cheap

Public transport is cheap (return off peak train ticket from Geelong to Melbourne is $13 for a 1hr journey)

Tickets to major sporting events like Australian Open tennis and Cricket @ the MCG are cheap

Excellent post Dom, very fair and balanced and factual apart from this bit

''and aren't too fussy re quality''

I think you meant clothes but could say the same for clothes from Primark, the rest is comparitive isnt it......fruit and veg, meat...debatable depending where you buy it, but petrol, public transport (actually superior quality in Perth to what I experienced in the Uk and much much cheaper......

I'll tell you whats definitely cheaper in Australia...Enjoying yourself..... and thats why Im still here!

Excellent post Dom, very fair and balanced and factual apart from this bit

''and aren't too fussy re quality''

I think you meant clothes but could say the same for clothes from Primark, the rest is comparitive isnt it......fruit and veg, meat...debatable depending where you buy it, but petrol, public transport (actually superior quality in Perth to what I experienced in the Uk and much much cheaper......

I'll tell you whats definitely cheaper in Australia...Enjoying yourself..... and thats why Im still here!

Yeah I agree, primark and Kmart quality much the same

In regards to solar electricity, my dad keeps up on that stuff and told me that there is a paint on type in development...some wiring to do but basically you can turn any surface into a solar panel. Imagine painting your drive way with that instead of putting panels on your roof....or your deck...heck, just paint your entire roof with it. I'll see if I can dig up the info on the internet and post a link.

Guest guest17301

Kmart kids clothes are OK, but the ladieswear is shocking, the tops come in holes after about 5 wears....Target is better for ladieswear I find.

Guest guest17301
Or next door's..... :mask: :frankenface_laughin

Absolutely! Wouldnt want them to go to waste! I take bags in to work...cant use them all.....also rosemary is selling at $2.95 for a tiny 2 sprigged packet at Coles today i noticed....free in my garden anytime I want it! It is easier to grow your own here I think.

Guest guest17301
I like their knickers

Really?!:eek: Don't you find they chafe a bit?? I like Bonds knickers, not very sexy but definitely comfy.

I dont think its that expensive hear ! But i appear to be in a Minority ?

Its not comparable to the UK and thats where a lot of people seem to loose there reality !

Lifestyle Health Oppertunity What cost can you put on them ?

All better here as far as im concerned.

Archived