Have you sold something with regret/loss - to get you the money to go to auz

jamesnparry

I know before you all start saying everything/house/car/wife/husband....this is my dilema......we are aiming to go this nov, have no money saved, but i have got an offer for my car number plate...which before kids/wife/etc i have had for 18 years......when or if it is sold it will be at a loss, and i am having the wobbles about actually signing the documents to transfer.....it will give us the cost of flights and shipping our furniture.......

just find it hard to actually let go...........................has others felt the same

:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Guest AKA63029

The ONLY thing I regret selling was my Rolex Submariner, needed the money to get to OZ. But there again it was bought for me by the second Mrs Tosser, so maybe best sold.:yes:

Guest The Pom Queen

It really does depend how sentimental it is but you probably won't be able to use it once your here so it may as well help get you started.

ive been looking at the exchange versus the cost of shipping lately, and tbh if i can secure work, i intend to convet as little as possible of my hard earned uk assets and property to au.

just enough to keep everyone happy. any more is just wasted up in the exchange!

fully agree with m2m, this is your new start, have that in mind when you sign that thang!

(if you go back, go back with your head held high and dont do anything you did before, and that includes that plate!)

Guest Guest31881

When I moved to Australia my wife was already here and I had been waiting for my visa, I sold my wife's car for a loss to get the money for the ticket and my son had my car and arranged to send the money for it over to me... I arrived in Australia with £300 but my wife was here and we had a car and house all set up.

P.S. Still waiting for my son to save the money to pay for the car.....:ssign7:...

Guest robnnic

What do you want more though....to struggle when you get over there cos you have no savings and potentially find it very hard to manage the first few months, maybe not even have a car to put your number plate on....or to have a bit extra money, not be as stressed about what you are spending....and not have the number plate?

No brainer for me i'm afraid...

Nic

Not that i needed the money for significant things but one of my old cars , i loved that car and sold it to buy another , wish i hadnt bothered and still had it now ...

the only other thing is the same as AKA , i had wanted a rolex for absoloutly ages , business was pants and even so, i scrimped and saved and work hard to reward myself and got a GMT master II , was my absoloute pride and joy , i swore that id be on the streets in a card board box still wearing it before we parted company . However it was sold when i started the visa process , business still pants and tho id have rather sold a leg it was able to pay for my agent and part of Vetessass , thus allowing me to go to oz and hopefully having a brighter future , Its strange but for a material posession it wasnt to me , i represented a lot about me , fond memories and will never be replaced .

lee

Guest AKA63029
When I moved to Australia my wife was already here and I had been waiting for my visa, I sold my wife's car for a loss to get the money for the ticket and my son had my car and arranged to send the money for it over to me... I arrived in Australia with £300 but my wife was here and we had a car and house all set up.

P.S. Still waiting for my son to save the money to pay for the car.....:ssign7:...

Good luck on that one Colin.:laugh:

Guest Gothic Rose

I had some nice things I sold nothing big but lots of things I really liked I had some lovely Teak Root pieces of furniture. But My biggest regret was having to sell my Dumbell collection. It was a full size gym rack, with pairs of dumbells ranging from 2-28 k I got a reasonable price, but it's something I'll not have again. I also sold a couple of unique pieces of clothing ....

Guest AKA63029
Not that i needed the money for significant things but one of my old cars , i loved that car and sold it to buy another , wish i hadnt bothered and still had it now ...

the only other thing is the same as AKA , i had wanted a rolex for absoloutly ages , business was pants and even so, i scrimped and saved and work hard to reward myself and got a GMT master II , was my absoloute pride and joy , i swore that id be on the streets in a card board box still wearing it before we parted company . However it was sold when i started the visa process , business still pants and tho id have rather sold a leg it was able to pay for my agent and part of Vetessass , thus allowing me to go to oz and hopefully having a brighter future , Its strange but for a material posession it wasnt to me , i represented a lot about me , fond memories and will never be replaced .

lee

Same here Lee, meant a a lot to me joking aside. Not materiliatic at all, but I do love watches, if and when I win te lottery mate this is the ONLY thing I will buy myself and not feel guilty about it.:yes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12502[/ATTACH]

top marks mate ,

If i ever get married i'll be happy with a small refined get together or if the love of my life wanted her fairytail wedding thats also fine by be , But money allowing i will be treating myself to a new watch , i'd have another GMT , realy like the deep sea dweller , but again like you i think the Submariner is quite simply the best , White gold and Diamond face @ 12 , 3 , 6 and 9, It'll never happen :-(

the wedding that is , the watch will !! :-) ha ha

lee

Guest kianobeano

hi,

Being from ireland we dont really have personalised numberplates, but i would have assumed the value in it is limited as its personal.

(could be wrong i know), but if it is would you not be mad to take the money , as you might find it hard getting a buyer in the future.

Maybe you could get a fake one made just to remind you of it .....just a thought !!

jen x

If by selling one thing it pays to get you to Aus, surely that has to be a good thing? If moving to Aus is what you all want. OK so if you return you can never have it back, but honestly, its a numberplate. Its personal to you, not your family.

You say it will be sold at a loss, but if its that valuable a plate with a broader meaning than to just a handful of people, maybe you could sell it for more? And would it really be a loss even selling it to the current interested party? Surely you will get far more for it than you paid for it all those years ago, just less than its supposed market value now. I'd say its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Also how can it be a loss if it gets you all to Aus? That's a pretty pricey numberplate if its going to net you into thousands.

I'd sell something like that if it gave me extra money to get to Aus. I'd keep an actual set of plates from it though, to hang on the garage wall or someplace in the new house though. A way to remember the plate by even if you no longer actually own the registration :)

We have to sell a much loved Evo and Dodge ram. I will weep when they have to go!:cry:

ouch i'm starting to feel your pain.....................................wear sun glasses on the day, or wear bi focals, so you look at it as if your in a gold fish bowl......

bloat bloat bloat

I'd sell something like that if it gave me extra money to get to Aus. I'd keep an actual set of plates from it though, to hang on the garage wall or someplace in the new house though. A way to remember the plate by even if you no longer actually own the registration :)

sad...but needed that push....papers signed, and sent recorded delivery.......on wards and up wards.................should i continue on with this format and sell the wife.....i did it once in asia, and got and exchange rate of 3 elephants to one wife..........................but the guy wanted a refund when he found out how stubborn she was ( opps I'm in trouble if she reads this)

Guest curragh

I sold my horse to pay for my flight to New Zealand, broke my heart at the time. All I thought was, I better make this work and ended up staying away for 5 years! I did visit my old horse, when I came home for a holiday. He was well and still grumpy as hell! At the end of the day, if that's what it took ,so I could live the dream...so be it!

I once had to sell all my jewelry during a period of hard times. This involved all my childhood stuff plus graduation presents. Some days I think maybe I should have kept back something, but tbh it helped me in a difficult period. I would feel differently about an animal say, that would likely break my heart more.

I am now waiting until March when the OH turns 50; as a "vintage" item his value on the black market is likely to go up..... :daydreaming:

I've kept alot of things over the years as memories. But the thing is, I still remember the good times without needing to go and look at the souvenirs. I have accumulated alot of junk as keepsakes and if it was gonna get me to Oz, there's not a whole lot I wouldn't sell. My treasured possessions are my photos, my mam's wedding and engagement ring and one of her cardi's that still smells of her:smile:

They are of very little value to anyone else but mean alot to me. I used to get sentimental about selling my cars but the money you get will go towards you making new memories. And who knows, you might be able to get the same or similiar plate in Oz:yes:

Guest AKA63029
I've kept alot of things over the years as memories. But the thing is, I still remember the good times without needing to go and look at the souvenirs. I have accumulated alot of junk as keepsakes and if it was gonna get me to Oz, there's not a whole lot I wouldn't sell. My treasured possessions are my photos, my mam's wedding and engagement ring and one of her cardi's that still smells of her:smile:

They are of very little value to anyone else but mean alot to me. I used to get sentimental about selling my cars but the money you get will go towards you making new memories. And who knows, you might be able to get the same or similiar plate in Oz:yes:

:notworthy::yes:

sad...but needed that push....papers signed, and sent recorded delivery.......on wards and up wards.................should i continue on with this format and sell the wife.....i did it once in asia, and got and exchange rate of 3 elephants to one wife..........................but the guy wanted a refund when he found out how stubborn she was ( opps I'm in trouble if she reads this)

ohh she's read it...... want to see stubborn do you??

Archived