6 years in - an honest view of life in Australia

surfndirt

Hi there,

Bit of time on my hands due to switching jobs so thought I would share my experiences and current take on this great big land.

Background

Grew up in Saltburn-by-sea (near Middlesbrough) - surfed all my life (with a break of 3 years in Leeds for uni) and surfed all over Europe, US etc. Moved to Melbourne in 06' with $300 bucks in my new Westpac account, my 6' 4" thruster and a suitcase.. Had a job to come too so wasn't that cool / on the edge or what-ever.

Situation

Fast forward to 12' - I have 3x motorbikes (KTM Enduro, Honda MotoX & Honda CB600F), a 2007 dedicated gas XR6 ute and a 4x bed 2 bath house in Jan Juc (google map it).

Now - what, you may ask, is the point of the post; is it so surfndirt can show off?????

No, not at all - I wanted to paint a picture of what is possible in 6 years of living in the land down under.

What I also want to do is provide a balanced view of the place for people looking to move here, or people wanting to move back to the UK. So, the above is the success story of a life down under which basically involves a truly fantastic 6 years of surfing and hammering around in the bush on dirt bikes, working hard and being frugal with cash (well, now I am - cos I have a perminent girlfriend, wasn't the same 3 years ago @ $10 bucks a pint I can tell ya).

Current take on Australia

The place is changing soooooo fast! Prices are up for pretty much everything - I am a middle income earner and even I am starting to think twice about doing, well - everything!

I am one to go with gut instinct a canny bit - I left the UK in 06' as I just had a feeling that the cheap credit fuelled good times were about to come to an end, was kinda right.

Basically, the exact same thing is about to happen to Australia in a big way - some thoughts;

- Drastically over valued property

- Mad high Aussie $ killing manufacturing, immigration, tourism

- Ultra high labour costs

- Ultra high charges for small businesses (tired to set-up a pty ltd the other day, here = $1500, USA = $298)

Some other, more subtle observations;

- People are getting more and more argo on the roads, I'm a big lad from Middlesbrough and I sometimes get a bit sketched out by it. Can't imagine how 60 year old Margery feels

- USA style overbuilding in Melbourne's outer western suburbs. Some ones to avoid; Tarneit & surrounds

- Inflation, inflation = $4.80 for a regular coffee anyone? How about $100 bucks for a counter meal for me and our lass at the pub with a coupla pints..

- There is just a general feeling of stress that wasn't there 6 years ago. Maybe it's the realisation that maybe, just maybe that $800,000 sh1t tip of a shack in Brunswick wasn't a good idea and ops; prices don't always double every seven years.

I guess what I am saying regards my take on this great land is that it's in for a decent old rough ride for next decade I reckon. So if you're reading this dreaming of coming here I would suggest the following stereotypes;

Young people with no committments;

- Get into it!!! Forget the cost and forget the negativity!!!! Come and have a blast with people from all over the world, surf and earn enough to live - :-)

Families;

- Do your research very carefully and please, please; believe me when I tell ya that Sydney is a complete farkin dump apart from the 2k's in the CBD which no mortal will be able to afford to live in!!!!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Roger - completely agree. I have had the time of my life in Melbourne for the past 6 years :-), that being young single and, well, a bit of a piss artist to be honest. Again, and as you say - family wise the regional towns are great.

My picks for regional towns;

Vicco = Warrambool (the bool) kinda like a nice version of Scarborough....

WA = Geraldton

NSW = Thirroul (north of Wollongong)

Tassie = all of it

No idea about NT or QLD, too hot and sketchy for me......

Thanks Roger - completely agree. I have had the time of my life in Melbourne for the past 6 years :-), that being young single and, well, a bit of a piss artist to be honest. Again, and as you say - family wise the regional towns are great.

My picks for regional towns;

Vicco = Warrambool (the bool) kinda like a nice version of Scarborough....

WA = Geraldton

NSW = Thirroul (north of Wollongong)

Tassie = all of it

No idea about NT or QLD, too hot and sketchy for me......

Great to hear...

I live in Geraldton and a poosible move to Warrnambool on the cards :biggrin:

Ha - well eye man, shes a lass alright, although she probably wouldn't like to be referred too as such in public - being from Mount Gambier, SA and all.

Yeah, interesting question re; going back. Not really sure man, have a great life here with all the trappings of Australia which I am very much grateful for....

I guess I have always been far more interested in my hobbies than owt else really, be it surfing or (more recently) enduro racing. Having researched the scene in Europe I must admit there is a pull for that reason. That and I'd really like to buy a pint for less than 7 quid aye.

I have actually worked here longer than the UK now and in some ways I kinda feel like all them Aussies in London that are there to see Europe n' that you know? Be great to get an old trannie van and hit up some extreme enduro's in France or Scandy...... Just bang the dirt bike in and bugger off on the ferry. Used to do that all the time with the lads for surfing n' that.

I guess the answer is yeah - guess I am considering it but not cause there's owt wrong with Australia really; just fancy a bit of Euro action again for a bit :-)

Hope that answers the question.

Ps. You're in Perth aye, worked for Chevron over there last year. How you gettin on? Got done over 4x times in 6 months in Manning, by young persons whose decendant's have been in this land for millions of years.... Came back after the 2nd robbery and a spray painted car!!!

Cool, the bool is great I reckon...

There's a good Uni there and it's a pretty cheap cost of living. Unreal beachies around the traps for those that are surf inclined.

Spent a coupla Xmas's there actually. Good Irish (theme) boozer on the main street, not a bad pint of Guiness actually - considering. Still best part of $10 a pint though.... aaaggggggg

Cool, the bool is great I reckon...

There's a good Uni there and it's a pretty cheap cost of living. Unreal beachies around the traps for those that are surf inclined.

Spent a coupla Xmas's there actually. Good Irish (theme) boozer on the main street, not a bad pint of Guiness actually - considering. Still best part of $10 a pint though.... aaaggggggg

Have you any opinions on Port Fairy... After being in Gero the last year I kinda like living by the sea... OH half will be delighted re the guinness!! :laugh:

Excellent post ,thank you..

We are 5 years in and have noticed the price increases more than anything,, on the flip side, we are still having fun and enjoying life whilst working less hours than in the UK so no plans of a return for us in the forseeable future.

Cal x

great personal account :-)

in regards to anyone thinking of migrating to anywhere , I have personally evaluated what im going from , to where im going to .

Granted , families may be thinking of the future for their kids , or some people wanting " quality of life "

Personally if i had a 50K a year job with a career or certainly a bricht future my desicision to move would be a more difficult one .

However ,

a business that was booming and now bearly covers living costs ,

sold my cars and bikes to make up a short fall ,

house thats worth 40K less

cost of everything going up ( same everywhere i guess )

cant afford to go out more than once a month - 6 weeks ( used to be out doing things and havin fun every weekend )

no future in the uk

COLD COLD COLD

not good reasons to stay in the UK ,

Oz will hopefuly provide me

a decent paid job

the great outdoors

decent weather

carreer

enviroment to start a family ( perhaps )

opportunity ..........

counting down the days :-)

lee

Guest Chantel
great personal account :-)

in regards to anyone thinking of migrating to anywhere , I have personally evaluated what im going from , to where im going to .

Granted , families may be thinking of the future for their kids , or some people wanting " quality of life "

Personally if i had a 50K a year job with a career or certainly a bricht future my desicision to move would be a more difficult one .

However ,

a business that was booming and now bearly covers living costs ,

sold my cars and bikes to make up a short fall ,

house thats worth 40K less

cost of everything going up ( same everywhere i guess )

cant afford to go out more than once a month - 6 weeks ( used to be out doing things and havin fun every weekend )

no future in the uk

COLD COLD COLD

not good reasons to stay in the UK ,

Oz will hopefuly provide me

a decent paid job

the great outdoors

decent weather

carreer

enviroment to start a family ( perhaps )

opportunity ..........

counting down the days :-)

lee

Fabulous original post, however, I am right there with you Lee,

the fact is, the whole world is slowly, eventually going a bit nuts and prices are globally on the rise. Here in England we can barely afford to do anything, I can't train to do what I want to do for lack of facilities or financial stability. The weather puts a damper on any plans you might make in hope of a good time on a nice day, every one is sooooo bloody moody all the time, I got road raged on my birthday by an over-sized coach driver who tried to push me into another lane, the nice country side around me is being dug up so that they can put a new road straight through it! We moved out of London because it was an increasingly dangerous place to live with teens carrying knives and guns and people being murdered in broad daylight on a regular, even daily basis, not to mention the weekly shop in Tesco doubling. but most of all, we are all stuck in doors ALL the time, our son gets home from school and goes straight onto his X Box! I am SCREAMING to have the kind of lifestyle as mentioned in the original post, and my friendly advice to surfndirt would be not to leave Australia permanently, but take a holiday abroad, you don't want to lose what you have built up - a lifestyle that the rest of us are dreaming of achieving!

Thanks for your insight SurfnDirt.

Agree with you about Sydney, 12 years ago we lived in an apartment at Pyrmont (behind the conference centre at Darling Harbour), being able to walk into the CBD, being near the nightlife and a bus ride from the beaches, it was great. I hate to think how much it would cost to do that now.

I absolutely agree with everything you have said, but in Europe things are dire. We have not lived in the UK for 7 years, but talking to friends and family the cost and quality of living for some is unbearable. I won't go into the difficulties that Spain is facing now. Not enough money to pay the teachers, parents are having to pitch in. 25% unemployment.

As we have lived in Oz before we understand the "Aussie" way of life. My husband's uncle also lives there and we have friends in Sydney and Perth. We are hoping to move to Oz for a good life. We hope it will be a better life, but we are realistic and know that for the first few years, it will be tough settling in and adjusting. We have done it before, so we can do it again.

We have come to the point in our lives where we need to put down roots and we would like to do that in Perth. We are both optimistic, albeit a little apprehensive about the economic situation in Aus at the moment, but we have promised each other that we would rather give it a go than not do it at all. It is easier for us as we have no children. I am not sure how I would feel if I had to consider children.

Was talking to a friend the other day and ( while im a reasonably happy person ) it dawned on me that it the moment i dont have a life ....

i essentially exist ............

work what i can , use the money so i can sleep under a roof and feed myself . and thats absoloutly it !!

couldnt even go see my parents last month , 15 miles away because i had no money for fuel ....

i love the great outdoors , and dont mind wrapping up warm , but walking the dogs on my usual 4 mile route isnt having an outdoos life .. Its pretty in the snow . but not comfortable to spend the day out in it ..

i would like to think in oz i'll be happier in a tent , looking around and having an adventure , rather than keeping warm in my house not being able to go anywhere in the uk even if there was anything half decent to do..

emigration is more than that i know but its just another thing i think about in my personal OZ - UK debate...

lee

Guest robnnic

Money isn't important to us, we both earn, we have savings, we don't scrimp and save, we are just wise. Our kids dont have the best of everything, we dont have the best of everything...but we dont go without either. The kids are happy to play on my original DS, our playstation and x-box are both free hand me downs from good single uncles that like the 'next best thing'. All the Tv's in our home are ones given to us....but it doesn't bother us because it means we have money to go away once a year....it means we have money to save to make this life changing decision. We can afford to go to the cinema when we like or go out for the occasional meal, because we aren't extravegant on other things. When i say that my wage will be higher over in Oz but the cost of living is higher...they say but you dont splurge now...and i am proud of that. Dont get me wrong we aint scruffs either.

We are making the move so we can spend time together as a family. My husband and i work opposite shifts as it is easier for childcare and if one isn't working the weekend the other is. when we come over, my income will be slightly more than what we both bring in now, so in my ideal world, it will mean we can manage on one wage with Rob doing a little free lance writing if he chooses. We will still be spending time as a family more than what we do here.

Nic

Young people with no committments;

- Get into it!!! Forget the cost and forget the negativity!!!! Come and have a blast with people from all over the world, surf and earn enough to live - :-)

Do not consider myself young (35yrs) but no commitments and a husband who is chasing waves !!! Its Oz for us..

Great post mate, I reckon you should do a Europe trip though, Get a van and drive through Europe great waves and cheap enough to do... If you know the right people..

PM me if you want i work for a surf travel holiday company and might be able to hook you up if you decide to make the trip!!

Guest Chantel
Was talking to a friend the other day and ( while im a reasonably happy person ) it dawned on me that it the moment i dont have a life ....

i essentially exist ............

work what i can , use the money so i can sleep under a roof and feed myself . and thats absoloutly it !!

couldnt even go see my parents last month , 15 miles away because i had no money for fuel ....

i love the great outdoors , and dont mind wrapping up warm , but walking the dogs on my usual 4 mile route isnt having an outdoos life .. Its pretty in the snow . but not comfortable to spend the day out in it ..

i would like to think in oz i'll be happier in a tent , looking around and having an adventure , rather than keeping warm in my house not being able to go anywhere in the uk even if there was anything half decent to do..

emigration is more than that i know but its just another thing i think about in my personal OZ - UK debate...

lee

My feelings exactly!!!!!!

Guest SupportPants

Just a word of warning - there is a too hot! Anywhere over Brisbane is too hot to spend time outside between Nov to April. You can warm up in cold weather but cooling down is hard. Life in aircon can really get frustrating. It's been months since its been cool enough for a walk on the beach or to sit outside. The sun here is really intense.

Guest Chantel
Just a word of warning - there is a too hot! Anywhere over Brisbane is too hot to spend time outside between Nov to April. You can warm up in cold weather but cooling down is hard. Life in aircon can really get frustrating. It's been months since its been cool enough for a walk on the beach or to sit outside. The sun here is really intense.

Sounds FANTASTIC!!!!! :cute:

Maybe u should head up to caloundra or something as it rained the entire time we were there and was NEVER to hot to go to the beach, we had to get there in between storms and showers.

Guest SupportPants
Maybe u should head up to caloundra or something as it rained the entire time we were there and was NEVER to hot to go to the beach, we had to get there in between storms and showers.

I'm in FNQ - hellishly hot right now. Very much the life of the great indoors.

What a great thread....it has really hit home for me my feelings of Australia after only 10 months. When I came here to travel 5 years ago and hen a brief 4 week visit in 2010 it was all chilled out, great aussie lifestyle, bbqs and relaxation. Fast forward to 2012, the obvious extra strain of not holidaying or working holidaying but things have changed for sure. It seems to me Aus has caught up with the "rat race"...something i despise......i'm not sure what has happened and I know the sth eastern suburbs of melbourne is not any comparison to the rest of it.

A previous poster talked of the huge estates being built in Uk, changing the landscape...well welcome to cardinia....in the 5 years i have known the place it is not recognisible. In the UK there is an excuse for small blocks being that land is scarce, who knows what the excuse here of having wall to wall houses other than money. It totally reshapes the aussie ideal of land and big houses. I spoke to a lady today who was well off financially but has downsized as she does not have enough time to look after her house with work and kids etc. she has got rid of the garden as the don't use it, all they do at home is sleep.

Anyway, without being hugely negative....because i really do love this place but i am sad it's becoming like the rest....it makes you wonder that is all....

Guest Chantel
I spent 3 months in kenya a few years back , working on engineering tasks , living outside ,

was 49 deg one day , we got used to it , if we had the option of a dip in the ocean every now and again it would have been fantastic :-0

lee

I spent a month in Ghana in 2006! :)

Fabulous original post, however, I am right there with you Lee,

the fact is, the whole world is slowly, eventually going a bit nuts and prices are globally on the rise. Here in England we can barely afford to do anything, I can't train to do what I want to do for lack of facilities or financial stability. The weather puts a damper on any plans you might make in hope of a good time on a nice day, every one is sooooo bloody moody all the time, I got road raged on my birthday by an over-sized coach driver who tried to push me into another lane, the nice country side around me is being dug up so that they can put a new road straight through it! We moved out of London because it was an increasingly dangerous place to live with teens carrying knives and guns and people being murdered in broad daylight on a regular, even daily basis, not to mention the weekly shop in Tesco doubling. but most of all, we are all stuck in doors ALL the time, our son gets home from school and goes straight onto his X Box! I am SCREAMING to have the kind of lifestyle as mentioned in the original post, and my friendly advice to surfndirt would be not to leave Australia permanently, but take a holiday abroad, you don't want to lose what you have built up - a lifestyle that the rest of us are dreaming of achieving!

Although we do as a whole earn more in Australia than the UK with some notable exceptions a lot of folk feel the pinch here as well. Very similar problems occur here as in UK. Crime is at a fairly high level here as well.Murder rates are higher than UK for example and rates of violence are high. Road rage is far from infrequent and seemingly ever increasing.

A lot don't venture out here either due to the intense sunshine. On the positive side I do feel most have more money left after costs though. I know I have much more but then also do far less that costs money than did in London. I do swim at the beach often but am the only one I know that does so. We had to reduce our eating out and don't do pubs so often due to expense. It can be a good life but it does come at a price.

Archived