Slept on it and we need to go

AaronS

Guess I should post this here...even though it's back the US for us. Some of you saw my homesick post I'm sure. Been a week or so and we've slept on it and the consensus is still we should head back in a year or so. Ultimately we just weren't prepared for how much we would be missing our family and friends...and thanks (or not so thanks) to the internet and Facebook for only making it worse. Basically we just have to wait a year so the relocation costs don't fall back on us from the company my wife works for.

Seriously, I didn't know how deep my roots and feeling were for the people that were in my life. My mom and dad....my friends....my band mates....the music lifestyle I had that took me 12 years to build up. I thought I was tougher than this but guess not. It's a hot mess in the US right now with the economy and politics and that's the reason we left, but now we see we'd rather weather the storm with people we love than be alone in comfort.

Not sure when it will be yet but targeting no later than April-ish of next year (get another southern sky summer)

Guest The Pom Queen

Who knows, now you know you could be heading home you may find you settle easier and in 12 months time may decide to stay after all.

Guest Guest31881

Hi Aaron,

Sorry to see its not worked out for you, I have seen most of your posts while you were looking forward to moving here and the last one I saw about how you felt now you are here and unable to connect with the local music scene.

These feeling can only be experienced once here, no one can prepare us for how emotions will change and effect us all. I hope now you have a target date to look forward to you will start to feel better and you will see a light at the end of the tunnel

Good luck for the future and when you are back in the USA and rich and famous..... Just remember you pals on PIO. :ssign7:

Hi mate, just make sure you're prepared for the fact that those people in your life you've missed will have moved on to a certain extent, and that slotting straight back in as if nothing happened is not as easy as it sounds. Try and enjoy the rest of the time here....and never say never. Good luck.

Hi mate, just make sure you're prepared for the fact that those people in your life you've missed will have moved on to a certain extent, and that slotting straight back in as if nothing happened is not as easy as it sounds. Try and enjoy the rest of the time here....and never say never. Good luck.

That's the part that I'm not too worried about. I'm in contact with all of them...daily. I'm working on music projects with 3 bands right now. They send me the music tracks and I do my parts (guitar, keyboard or vocals) and send them back. My former band and I are working on new song specific to that band. We are actually planning on releasing an album in the US with me here. That's want I meant about my roots being deep with the scene there. I can't let go and they don't seem to be able either.

Good luck for the future and when you are back in the USA and rich and famous..... Just remember you pals on PIO. :ssign7:

haha....well, I wouldn't count on me being rich and famous...home town hero is just fine....especially when it's in Austin and music related.

That's the part that I'm not too worried about. I'm in contact with all of them...daily. I'm working on music projects with 3 bands right now. They send me the music tracks and I do my parts (guitar, keyboard or vocals) and send them back. My former band and I are working on new song specific to that band. We are actually planning on releasing an album in the US with me here. That's want I meant about my roots being deep with the scene there. I can't let go and they don't seem to be able either.

perhaps that's part of the reason why you've not settled. It's necessary to 'let go' of your old life when you move permanently to another country. That for me was the hardest part and it probably took at least 2 years

perhaps that's part of the reason why you've not settled. It's necessary to 'let go' of your old life when you move permanently to another country. That for me was the hardest part and it probably took at least 2 years

Thing is, that is my life...and if I can't find something to fill that here then it's not right for me.

Seriously, I didn't know how deep my roots and feeling were for the people that were in my life.

I think this is one thing that some able to overcome and some not, and perhaps determine whether one settles successfully in another part of the world or not.

Just go with your heart and enjoy it here in the meantime.

Guest proud2beaussie

Making the decision to return home is never easy-but once you have made the decision then you will feel better,Australia is not for everyone,some people settle quickly but others never settle and making the decision to go home should not be seen as a sign of weakness.

Good luck with your lives in the future and enjoy the rest of your time here in Australia.

Cheers

Nigel

YOu know , you will grow and learn alot about yourself in that year. Ive been away for 5 months now, and I think that my bonds with my family are better than they have ever been. You learn to appreciate what you had a lot more when you get home.

Good luck with the move forward to the next step in your life! As Harpo said, you can never really go back to exactly what you had but it sounds like that you have had to compromise your 'self' in moving to Aus and that is never a very comfortable situation to find yourself in.

Don't worry about the politics and economy - Australia is part of the world and its politicians aren't doing a crash hot job at the moment!

Guest liverpoolollie
Guess I should post this here...even though it's back the US for us. Some of you saw my homesick post I'm sure. Been a week or so and we've slept on it and the consensus is still we should head back in a year or so. Ultimately we just weren't prepared for how much we would be missing our family and friends...and thanks (or not so thanks) to the internet and Facebook for only making it worse. Basically we just have to wait a year so the relocation costs don't fall back on us from the company my wife works for.

Seriously, I didn't know how deep my roots and feeling were for the people that were in my life. My mom and dad....my friends....my band mates....the music lifestyle I had that took me 12 years to build up. I thought I was tougher than this but guess not. It's a hot mess in the US right now with the economy and politics and that's the reason we left, but now we see we'd rather weather the storm with people we love than be alone in comfort.

Not sure when it will be yet but targeting no later than April-ish of next year (get another southern sky summer)

mate you sum it up best in your own words...........

"thought i was tougher than this" that is exactly the point ,the toughest thing you are doing is deciding that it,s not for you .

so you are tougher than you think mate ,because you had a tough decision to make and you made it .

good luck to you.

and who are you letting down ?

better to have loved and lost ,and all that.

regards .

liverpoolollie.

I've let a few people know we are heading back now....without exception everyone has told me to hurry up and get back, offering a place to stay for us if we needed if it meant getting back sooner. My old band is waiting on me to come back too. I mentioned we are writing new material, and now we are starting to record the tracks (we all have individual studio set ups)....the plan is for me to get back, release a new album immediately and then do a small tour through Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. After that I'll most likely go back to work with the company I left....like I've mentioned, I'm in demand in Texas. I've already found the area we'll move into....just north of Austin. Housing there is unbelievable! 2800 square foot homes selling for less than $200KUSD with large lots....and it's about 5 miles from where my wife will work.

I am actually feeling really good now....and with my friend coming over from Austin in a couple weeks that will really help my moral. Plus, I'm going to take surf lessons in the next few weeks too.

I've let a few people know we are heading back now....without exception everyone has told me to hurry up and get back, offering a place to stay for us if we needed if it meant getting back sooner. My old band is waiting on me to come back too. I mentioned we are writing new material, and now we are starting to record the tracks (we all have individual studio set ups)....the plan is for me to get back, release a new album immediately and then do a small tour through Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. After that I'll most likely go back to work with the company I left....like I've mentioned, I'm in demand in Texas. I've already found the area we'll move into....just north of Austin. Housing there is unbelievable! 2800 square foot homes selling for less than $200KUSD with large lots....and it's about 5 miles from where my wife will work.

I am actually feeling really good now....and with my friend coming over from Austin in a couple weeks that will really help my moral. Plus, I'm going to take surf lessons in the next few weeks too.

Wow, AaronS, that's awesome!

Just updating.....two songs just about wrapped up via long distance recording (8 more to go) and a planning a trip to Cabo San Lucas with friends after we get back. Good things to look forward to while I wait! Keeping my mind of the time.

We too are heading home in a few months. It was'nt for us and no one is more suprised than us that is did'nt work out. Nothing prepares you for the emotional wrench of leaving family, we thought we would be fine with skype etc. but you can't hug a laptop! Settling into a new country is very difficult, we have found it very tough and frankly are just tired of trying so hard to ajust and fit in. It is a hard decision but you have to follow your heart or you won't find peace, I am sad to give up and will be until we get on that plane I expect. But we know this is not for us now and we are ready to move back. I expect to remember this experience like a holiday memory, some good, some bad, but we tried it, and if we had'nt we would have always wondered if we had missed an opportunity. All the best with your move back and don't forget you are among many others who return home. All the best.:hug:

Hey Aaron,

Kinda different deal but me and the Mrs are in the process of getting set-up for a jaunt to Texas too.........

Done a few posts here - been in Oz 6 years and love the place, but itchy feet mean Dallas, TX is our next destination! In fact, the other half is off in March on a vendor finance house buying spree (Plano etc) so we'll have a joint to stay 18 months from now (plan for arrival).

Love the state hey, already kinda lookin forward to some aspects of being back in the states (used to work in Chicago);

- Pints of beer that don't cost $10 bucks!

- Ability to shoot to a bar by myself and sit at the bar watchin sports and talking to a stranger (England and Oz does not have that concept!!)

- Cost of living (secondary concern really, in the vast scheme of things - it's all about meeting nice people - riding dirt bikes and having adventures hey)

- In-depth discussions with folk about the concept of the USA, the consitution and all that the subject involves (fasinating place / concept / experiment when you think about it)

Anyway, I understand your reasoning - Oz is awesome and will always be my home but Texas.... Just don't mess with it I guess :-)

Hey Aaron,

Kinda different deal but me and the Mrs are in the process of getting set-up for a jaunt to Texas too.........

Done a few posts here - been in Oz 6 years and love the place, but itchy feet mean Dallas, TX is our next destination! In fact, the other half is off in March on a vendor finance house buying spree (Plano etc) so we'll have a joint to stay 18 months from now (plan for arrival).

Love the state hey, already kinda lookin forward to some aspects of being back in the states (used to work in Chicago);

- Pints of beer that don't cost $10 bucks!

- Ability to shoot to a bar by myself and sit at the bar watchin sports and talking to a stranger (England and Oz does not have that concept!!)

- Cost of living (secondary concern really, in the vast scheme of things - it's all about meeting nice people - riding dirt bikes and having adventures hey)

- In-depth discussions with folk about the concept of the USA, the consitution and all that the subject involves (fasinating place / concept / experiment when you think about it)

Anyway, I understand your reasoning - Oz is awesome and will always be my home but Texas.... Just don't mess with it I guess :-)

Yup, took me moving half way around the world to wake me up to how great Texas is. Beach, mountains, forest and desert all in one! So much to do and so many nice people to do it with....and not expensive! Not to mention the economy there is rock solid. Wish someone had shook me like a bobble head before we left and woke me up to that.

I think the first thing I'm doing when we get back is call up my buddies (mates as they are called here) and have a Texas style BBQ at my parents place in the country (the bush). Get a 8 or 9 kilo packer style brisket and smoke it for about 20 hours.....all the while drinking Shiner Bock (dark beer made in Texas) and listening to some Robert Earl Keen, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Steve Earle and such on the stereo. Maybe put my dad on pit duty (watching the fire) and head to a low water crossing and go for a swim in the Guadalupe river at some point in that 20 hours.

Tell you what, one thing I really, really miss is being able to buy beer and wine in a grocery store or pertol station. Made jumping in the car and heading out to a friends place or to the river for a BBQ much easier on the drink front.

Ha - sounds good buddy!

Hopefully me and the Mrs will cop an invite to such an event after a few months..... I intend to join a dirt bike racing club on arrival - I have met so many super cool people through my club here in Vicco. Seems the world of Enduro riding is populated almost entirely by down to earth good, fun loving people. Haven't met a dude I didn't like when ridin bikes man......... And, as can be assumed, I've very thoroughly researched the scene in TX!

Tell you what, one thing I really, really miss is being able to buy beer and wine in a grocery store or pertol station. Made jumping in the car and heading out to a friends place or to the river for a BBQ much easier on the drink front.

lol!

I've always said you can't really trust a country that has to have laws restricting alcohol sales to booze shops.

Don't ever move to Scandinavis BTW - government booze shops only, open restricted hours. It used to be Monday-Friday only, not sure if that's been relaxed. When I first moved to Sweden you weren't even allowed to pick up your drink and take it to the till - you had to note down what you wanted out of a catalogue and ask for it, then the bloke behind some bulletproof glass like in a bookmaker's or a bank would go and get it from the back and you would be given it through a sort of revolving airlock thing, so you weren't tempted to bash him over the head and run off with it. Comical

:biggrin:

Ha - sounds good buddy!

Hopefully me and the Mrs will cop an invite to such an event after a few months..... I intend to join a dirt bike racing club on arrival - I have met so many super cool people through my club here in Vicco. Seems the world of Enduro riding is populated almost entirely by down to earth good, fun loving people. Haven't met a dude I didn't like when ridin bikes man......... And, as can be assumed, I've very thoroughly researched the scene in TX!

You'll be close enough to West Texas to make weekend trips there...awesome desert riding out that way! Hell, when I get back I'll invite you to a BBQ!

You should have moved to the ACT instead of NSW. We can buy beer, wine, spirits etc at the supermarket.

Archived