Someone please help me - IELTS

adi28

Hi all knowledgable people,

I am looking for some advice on the IELTS test. I come from an english speaking country, i've gone through the educational system up to degree level and completed professional exams. I've done the test four times now :cry: My most recent result was today and once again it wasn't enough.

I want to apply for 175 visa before new format comes into play in July. I need 20 points for DIAC therefore I need a score of 8 in each band. Below are my results so far:

03.09.11 L:8.0 R:8.0 W:7.5 S:9.0 (General Training)

26.11.11 L:8.5 R:7.5 W:9.0 S:8.5 (General Training)

03.12.11 L:9.0 R:7.5 W:7.5 S:9.0 (Academic Training)

03.09.11 L:9.0 R:7.5 W:9.0 S:7.5 (General Training)

I would appreciate any advice. Clearly my reading is a problem for this ridiculous test but I can read perfectly well, the format of the exam is obviously catching me out. Any link to helpful materials online etc would be great.

Thanks for reading,

Adi

How come you cant submit your marks as above?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come you cant submit your marks as above?

Stevie i think it has to be a score of 8 or above achieved in one sitting.....

Should have said i'm already in Oz on a 457 visa just want to feel more secure because I think there is a bit of uncertainty in Oz at the moment with employment so if i was to lose my job then i would be on the plane home to Ireland :-(

Oh, that's a diddly of a pickle alright!!!

Good luck with it My Hubby is going for his 2nd attempt soon!

Thank you all for your time in responding. I think reading is my main area of concern. I can read perfectly well but with the matching questions to paragraphs to me the answer is 50/50 and obviously i'm chosing the wrong one.

Would you recommend me doing academic or general. I heard recently you need to get 38/40 for band 8 in GT and you only need 35/40 for AT, is this true?

I think i am definitely going to do some work on this before I do my 5th and final test. My main worry is skilled visa rule change in July 2012 :-(

I totally agree with Positive Pixie. There is no point in just continuing to work on this alone without using a tutor. It would be far more efficient to get the guidance from a qualified IELTS tutor about where you are going wrong in the Reading section. This test is very much about exam technique..not just fluency in English.

IELTS have put out a note which stresses to those about to sit the exam again that they need to change they way they study or prepare for the exam if they want to increase their prior scores, rather than just continue to study in the same manner.

Not sure which country you are in but some tutors will do sessions on Skype even if they are in a different country from where you are located.

Seem's a bit harsh, when all of the required scores have been gained and within the 2 year period

Have you had this confirmed by IELTS/IMMI?

I had it confirmed from the British council, regulators of the test. They even suggested I contact the centre to see if they would change my 7.5 to an 8, suggesting they doctor scores...you can imagine what the centre said.

I agree it's harsh but that is the rule. The required score has to be achieved all in the one exam, unfortunately.

I had it confirmed from the British council, regulators of the test. They even suggested I contact the centre to see if they would change my 7.5 to an 8, suggesting they doctor scores...you can imagine what the centre said.

Once you pass, you pass, having to redo the entire thing every time is a con!

It's pretty much a money making scam!

There is a review process for the exam whereby the recording of your Speaking session or your written exam answers are sent off to be regraded. The exam material is sent to another country from where you took the exam and the reviewer does not know the original grade. That is the review process-not having the original test centre do the review. However, you do have to apply to your original test centre for the review as it is they who sends it off to IELTS in another country.

And I too think it's ridiculous that you cannot collate your results from different exams.

Once you pass, you pass, having to redo the entire thing every time is a con!

It's pretty much a money making scam!

Unfortunately a pass is defined as a set level in all disciplines at the same sitting :(

Those are the rules, and whilst we could argue their validity and the inability to 'mix and match' on a forum, they are the ones currently in play and therefore the ones an applicant must play to. No point in walking onto a football pitch and telling the ref the rules are wrong ...

Best approach is work out how to gain the max points per discipline, and play ball ...

Cheers

P

This whole IELTS absolutely sucks, i dont even know why they have the overall score when it does not matter at all... this whole thing is a money making scheme, will be doing a second resit and i sure feel out off pocket and with a tutor on tow i hope its the 2nd and last time am going to do it coz am not going to keep on paying for £125 each time...coz it sucks!!!

This whole IELTS absolutely sucks, i dont even know why they have the overall score when it does not matter at all... this whole thing is a money making scheme, will be doing a second resit and i sure feel out off pocket and with a tutor on tow i hope its the 2nd and last time am going to do it coz am not going to keep on paying for £125 each time...coz it sucks!!!

Some universities ask for an overall score as do some occupations on the SOL but for the purpose of migration, Australia requires the mark a across all 4 areas for the extra points. I agree it is frustrating and a lot of it is dependant on the day...but it is what they ask for. it took me 4 attempts and I teach English...

Whilst I waited to book in for my 4th test I spoke to an Indian who was sitting it to get his British passport...he only needed to get a 3 in all areas! He nearly fell off his chair when I told him Australia required 8s for maximum points...

Life is full of rules and regulations to which we all have to adhere to. Sometimes it sucks, especially in this case, and sometimes it is to our benefit, the overall point is we have to live with it and if Oz is the dream, then you have to work with them to achieve the dream. So put all your efforts in passing the test and less on moaning about it. I do agree the system is unfair.

We must remember they only want the best people and we have to prove we are the best.

Some universities ask for an overall score as do some occupations on the SOL but for the purpose of migration, Australia requires the mark a across all 4 areas for the extra points. I agree it is frustrating and a lot of it is dependant on the day...but it is what they ask for. it took me 4 attempts and I teach English...

Whilst I waited to book in for my 4th test I spoke to an Indian who was sitting it to get his British passport...he only needed to get a 3 in all areas! He nearly fell off his chair when I told him Australia required 8s for maximum points...

am surprised the guy Indian did not have a heart attack.... lol

Booked my test today and have had a look at practices. I need a 7, reading is my weak point for sure. Need to get lots of practice in!

Good luck everyone!

is that your first sitting?? and what scores do u need... note on the reading that you get 3 reading pieces which are like a page and a half long, that was my down fall coz am a slow reader. my reading score was 6,5 and i need 7s :-(

good luck.

Guest jeffandclare

Ive got min on Saturday - first one and Im SCARED!!!! This is worst than any exam I have ever sat and I have sat a lot of exams. Need 7s for state sponsored and 8s for general skilled. Im educated to Masters level and work as someone who writes long reports day in day out but this is proper scarey sh*t !!!!!

Ive got min on Saturday - first one and Im SCARED!!!! This is worst than any exam I have ever sat and I have sat a lot of exams. Need 7s for state sponsored and 8s for general skilled. Im educated to Masters level and work as someone who writes long reports day in day out but this is proper scarey sh*t !!!!!

its the format of the exam that one needs to master.. i can only compare it to doing your driving test,know what the examiner wants , what you will lose marks on and practice practice practice.

Those are the rules, and whilst we could argue their validity and the inability to 'mix and match' on a forum, they are the ones currently in play and therefore the ones an applicant must play to. No point in walking onto a football pitch and telling the ref the rules are wrong ...

I’m not arguing about the rules, just trying to understand them, I haven't got to the stage of sitting the IELTS test yet but on the face of it, and with the advice given here it is nothing more than a money making scam

I would happily pay the entire fee just to re-sit the one element I missed out on, but to have to keep re-doing all of the elements over and over again is ridiculous, especially when the results are valid for 2 year anyway

I do wonder if anyone has challenged the IMMI over getting the required score over 2 or 3 tests rather than just one, and what the outcome was

its the format of the exam that one needs to master.. i can only compare it to doing your driving test,know what the examiner wants , what you will lose marks on and practice practice practice.

Yeah, I agree with that. I didn't do any revision as such, but I did familiarise myself with the format, matching ticks up against their corresponding little boxes is not my area of expertise and, because nothing's repeated, you have to get it right first time, so get to know what the question paper will look like.

The other thing I had to do was stop myself going into daydream mood, stop looking out the window going la, la, la, and wondering if that's a Jackdaw over there and how that girl gets her hair like that......that sort of thing!

It reminded me very much of an English Language GCSE or 'O' Level as they were in my day (showing my age). I think there's a limit how much revision you can do for those too. I certainly never did any. I think foreigners can revise and I suppose doing a few old-fashioned comprehensions can't hurt, but really you either have a facility for English or you don't.

is that your first sitting?? and what scores do u need... note on the reading that you get 3 reading pieces which are like a page and a half long, that was my down fall coz am a slow reader. my reading score was 6,5 and i need 7s :-(

good luck.

Hi,

Its my first go. I practiced the listning and got 37/40 first time, but I was concerntrating like my life depended on it!

The reading is tough, my first practice was a big fail! You don't get much time for it either. Speaking I should be fine, and writing should be ok too.

Did you get 7+s on the other parts?

Hi,Its my first go. I practiced the listning and got 37/40 first time, but I was concerntrating like my life depended on it! The reading is tough, my first practice was a big fail! You don't get much time for it either. Speaking I should be fine, and writing should be ok too.Did you get 7+s on the other parts?
The reading is very tricky, if it was two passages to read i would have been fine, i literally rushed on the last one and knew i had popped it up. i got 7,5 in Listerning and Speaking and then 6 in reading and writing.am sooooo stressed right but my resit date is in April.

The reading is very tricky, if it was two passages to read i would have been fine, i literally rushed on the last one and knew i had popped it up. i got 7,5 in Listerning and Speaking and then 6 in reading and writing.am sooooo stressed right but my resit date is in April.

Time is very scarce on the reading! Well I hope it goes better this time. Let me know how it goes!

Time is very scarce on the reading! Well I hope it goes better this time. Let me know how it goes!
time is sure scarced when practicing am now timing myself doing the full paper and see how my time is... its still shocking even now i got a long way to go.... will sure let u know how i get on.

Archived