Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

I am moving next month to Australia on a 457 visa (intending to apply for permanent residency once I arrive), shipping everything in a container. I have had a motorcycle for years, but a month ago sold it to upgrade to a 2002 Honda Shadow Sabre (VT1100C2). I realize that I probably no longer qualify for the "personal imports" scheme (even though I owned my old bike for over 8 years!), but I understand that I can still import my new motorcycle, I'll just have to pay more in taxes. Is that right? I'm getting very confused as to what I need to do with respect to compliance letters. I would love any advice or suggestions that you might have. Thank you!

Guest parkmatt

Hi Iron Chef,

I recently moved back to Australia about 3 months ago. Ive been trying to sell my car back in the UK but havnt been able to sell it and I dont want to just give it away. I have owned it for just under 3 years. Will everything still be ok If I decide to import my car even though I've been here for the past 3 months. Its just been sitting in a friends garage and after not being able to sell it importing it seems the only sensible option to take now.

Cheers.

Matt

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef,

I recently moved back to Australia about 3 months ago. Ive been trying to sell my car back in the UK but havnt been able to sell it and I dont want to just give it away. I have owned it for just under 3 years. Will everything still be ok If I decide to import my car even though I've been here for the past 3 months. Its just been sitting in a friends garage and after not being able to sell it importing it seems the only sensible option to take now.

Cheers.

Matt

Hi Matt,

The unwritten rule is that you can apply for import approval for up to 6 months after you move here, however it is possible to get them through even later in most cases, so you will have no trouble at all with only having landed here around 3 months ago.

Let us know if you wanted our help to put together the application for you, help with arrangements for shipping, customs clearance and/or anything else.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Iron Lady Imports,

Could you please use your calculator for my vehicle:

2007, Nissan Navara Sport Double Cab, 2.5 TDI Diesel, Manual 6 Speed 4WD, Mileage c 75,000. Nil mods, Aircon,

UK Value £7250

Red Book Value $21,200 - $23,900

Australian Price Guide Value $25,400 - 28,400

Many thanks in advance.

G

Guest Guest67761
Iron Lady Imports,

Could you please use your calculator for my vehicle:

2007, Nissan Navara Sport Double Cab, 2.5 TDI Diesel, Manual 6 Speed 4WD, Mileage c 75,000. Nil mods, Aircon,

UK Value £7250

Many thanks in advance.

G

Based on the information provided I have calculated the following estimated costs for you to bring this vehicle with you to Australia including modifications necessary to meet ADR's and road registration costs.

-- shipping costs --

$1,936 ocean freight & export customs

$1,000-$1,500 customs, quarantine & port fees

$275 Australian Customs vehicle valuation

$563 import duty

$1,311 GST

-- road registration costs --

$600 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$677 registration (12 months)

$507 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$50 import approval application

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' Package)

All figures are in AUD$ and any costs converted from other currencies have been calculated at the current exchange rate. This is assuming that you do not already have your Australian import approval for the vehicle and that you will be using our full service 'A' Package for assistance from start to finish.

The shipping rate has been calculated based on either RORO (roll-on/roll-off) shipping from Southampton port to Brisbane Australia as an example. We can also arrange sole use container shipping for the vehicle if you prefer that option. It does not include transport to the port however we can request a quote to have the vehicle collected if you are not able to deliver to the port yourself.

If you are planning to ship the vehicle in the same container as household goods then you should let us know more about your situation by email if you would like us to provide more detailed information.

Please let us know if you have any other questions at all.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Hiya can you work out 2 cars for me.

my hubby's pride and joy a 2006 (56) range rover sport hse,75800 miles, aircon, £22000 and red book aud$85000

my beast is a 2003 (53) Mini Cooper s. 72000, aircon, 72000, £4000 and redbook aud$40000

cheers in advance,

debbie

Hi Debbie,

The RedBook value you have listed appears to be retail price when new, and as there are quite a lot of variants with both of these model it would be a lot better to get an accurate cost breakdown if you could go to our website and fill in the cost estimate request for each of them at http://ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate/ ... once we have all of the information then I can get back to you with more detailed information also.

Thank you,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Can you import a tank had it for years heavy on the gas but great for road rage

Yes, importing it would be no trouble for us however I seriously doubt you would be allowed to use it on the road here in Australia. I would have to check the regulations to be sure but from memory I believe that the weapons systems also need to be disabled in a permanent manner (welded, filled with concrete, etc) to even be allowed to have something like this at your home.

Do you seriously have a tank that you were looking to import, if so then please send me photos and information (craig@ironladyimports.com) as I would love to help with that project!

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Just wondering if you could help me out with the following motor? Could you give me a rough breakdown of the total costs and I can get stuff sorted. Hopefully bringing it with me will be in my favour.

2008 BMW M3 Coupe

4.0L

6 Speed Manual

72,000 Miles

Metallic Jerez Black

Full Black Nappa Leather Interior

Parking Sensors

Sat Nav

I Drive Etc, Etc

UK Price £ 21,000

Red Book $72,900

Saw Pretty Much the same car on Car Sales.com for $93,999 but still haven't found a 2008 M3 for less than $ 80,000 anywhere in Oz.

We are going to be living in WA.

Thanks

Kev

Hi Just wondering if you could help me out with the following motor? Could you give me a rough breakdown of the total costs and I can get stuff sorted. Hopefully bringing it with me will be in my favour.

2008 BMW M3 Coupe

4.0L

6 Speed Manual

72,000 Miles

Metallic Jerez Black

Full Black Nappa Leather Interior

Parking Sensors

Sat Nav

I Drive Etc, Etc

UK Price £ 21,000

Red Book $72,900

Saw Pretty Much the same car on Car Sales.com for $93,999 but still haven't found a 2008 M3 for less than $ 80,000 anywhere in Oz.

We are going to be living in WA.

Thanks

Kev

Hi Kev, it's a category A, it's a no-brainer. Shoot us an email if you'd like all the costings for it.

Hi Debbie,

The RedBook value you have listed appears to be retail price when new, and as there are quite a lot of variants with both of these model it would be a lot better to get an accurate cost breakdown if you could go to our website and fill in the cost estimate request for each of them at http://ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate/ ... once we have all of the information then I can get back to you with more detailed information also.

Thank you,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Craig,

dont want to appear thick but why would redbook give me the price new when I put in the age of the vehicle and mileage?

debbie

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig,

dont want to appear thick but why would redbook give me the price new when I put in the age of the vehicle and mileage?

debbie

Hi Debbie,

You are certainly not alone, we get this all the time because it's really not clear on the RedBook website. You need to search for the nearest similar model car and click on "more details" until you get to a page that looks like this:

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2003-mini-cooper-r53-85808?R=85808

.. then look for the "Private Price Guide" which should be a range of values for different mileages, for example:

Private Price Guide = $13,100 - $15,500

Trade In Price Guide = $10,100 - $12,500

Average Km = 90,000 - 160,000

Price When New = $39,900

The bits that I have set in bold are the ones which are useful to work out the RedBook estimated value for your vehicle based on your mileage (don't forget to convert from MILES to KMS)

I also received your enquiry through the website a few minutes ago and I am replying to it right now!

Regards,

Craig

Hi there, I am looking at camper trailers etc over here, Jayco pop tops etc. 18000-20000 over here and $2000 in the Uk, what are the rules/costs reguarding camper trailers etc?

It's never quite as simple as it looks. It's pretty much open slather for importing them, but the shipping costs can be fairly exorbitant if you're not also shipping a car that can tow it on and off, plus shipping is calculated on volume, so caravans and camper trailers can hideously expensive to ship (I had one motorhome come back at AUD6000) and then it will need conversion to 240V (not overly expensive if you just use a step-down transformer) and gas fittings and pipework have to be checked and signed off to make sure they're ok too.

Put it this way, dealers in Australia aren't silly - if there was a dollar to be made in importing them, everyone would be doing it. I don't see anyone doing it en masse, so chances are it's not worth the drama. If it is, then Craig and I better start investigating before everyone else finds out ;)

Graig, Iron Chef,

Thanks for the costings re my Navara. Could you tell me what category you would class it as i.e A worth bringing, B not really, C not at all.

UK Value £7250

Many thanks.

Si

Guest Guest67761
Graig, Iron Chef,

Thanks for the costings re my Navara. Could you tell me what category you would class it as i.e A worth bringing, B not really, C not at all.

UK Value £7250

Many thanks.

Si

Assuming the vehicle is worth around £7,250 currently then that is around AUD$11,100 at the current exchange rate, then add around AUD$8,300 for importing and on-road costs which gives a total investment in this vehicle of around $19,400. If it's worth around $25,400 to $28,400 here in Australia then there would appear to be a very decent margin which would put this vehicle into the 'A' category.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron Chef, I enclose my details moving next year......

vw touareg 3.0 tdi 2012

auto 8 speed trip tonic

white , whith every extra tv, hard drive etc

uk value 37k new cost in march 51k

10000 miles

Red book price 83 300

Aus price guide 90 -100k

Cheers

Nigsy

No matter how we do the calculations, where you are moving to in Australia or which Australian variant most closely matches your vehicle (there are 3 which are close but vary in value) then it still works out wel as a 'category A' vehicle, which means that you should bring this one with you to Australia!

If you wanted more information and/or a breakdown of the estimated costs involved then please visit our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com and fill in the Cost Estimate Request form.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi Kev, it's a category A, it's a no-brainer. Shoot us an email if you'd like all the costings for it.

Hi, Could you tell me where to email as I went to the website and submitted a quote request but haven't had anything back as yet. Could you PM me a quote?

Cheers

Kev

Guest Guest67761
Hi, Could you tell me where to email as I went to the website and submitted a quote request but haven't had anything back as yet. Could you PM me a quote?

Cheers

Kev

Hi Kev,

I can see your cost estimate request in our system. It came through over the weekend so today is the first business day for replies, and although we try to reply to everyone as quickly as possible it can sometimes take a couple of days to get to them all when we have a high demand for our service so I apologise for not being able to get onto it right away. I will have a look over it and get back to you in the next couple of hours.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi there,

Relocating to Perth next year and trying to decide whether to bring my car.

2007 BMW 325 diesel estate. manual 6 speed with aircon. done 90K miles. bought 9m ago, current market value in UK approx £8000. struggled with the websites you recommended (redbook etc) as couldnt find similar model. please help!!

thank you. this information is so useful....really struggling to make sense of it all!!

Guest Guest67761
Hi there,

Relocating to Perth next year and trying to decide whether to bring my car.

2007 BMW 325 diesel estate. manual 6 speed with aircon. done 90K miles. bought 9m ago, current market value in UK approx £8000. struggled with the websites you recommended (redbook etc) as couldnt find similar model. please help!!

thank you. this information is so useful....really struggling to make sense of it all!!

This exact model was not sold in Australia, the closest we got here in 2007 was the BMW 323i estate with 6 speed manual which was similar enough but not exactly the same. Using this as a basis for the calculations it looks like your car would be a good option to bring with you to Australia, especially if you were looking at keeping it for a while rather than selling it when you get here. I would put this into a Category A.

Please be aware that in order to qualify for approval under the Personal Import Scheme you must have owned and used the car for at least 12 months before moving to Australia, so if you have had it for 9 months already then you will most likely be able to get import approval as long as you are not moving to Australia for at least another 3 months.

If you wanted a full cost breakdown and/or other information then please visit our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, looking at moving to Brisbane and have the following vehicles i would like to take accross.

1/ Audi a4 1.9tdi (130bhp) 2001 with 140,000 miles # UK value £2000

2/ Ford Focus RS 2002 model with 15,000 miles # UK value £9000

3/ Honda CRV 2.2 EX (Deisel) 2012 with 5000 miles # UK value £22,000

4/ Motor bike = BMW K1300S with 8000 miles,2011 model ~UK value £8000

I would hopefully at least take the bike,audi and focus but would appreciate all help

Thanks in advance

Mike