Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest dodge8283

2003 ford focus rs

2.o turbo

74,000 miles

manual

aircon

uk value £9k

(highly modified) not sure if this will be a problem ?

not sure as i have been unable to find one for sale in oz

melbourne

any help much appreciated

thanks

Hi Iron Chef hope you can help advise me here,

2001 Toyota Land cruiser Colorado (Prado)

4x4

3 ltr turbo diesel

Automatic

170 000 miles

Air con

Uk value £6000-7000

Aus value $14000- 16000

NSW

Thank you.

Just into Category C. Might still be worth considering if you plan to use it for a while, especially being diesel, as it will depreciate fairly slowly from here on in.

2003 ford focus rs

2.o turbo

74,000 miles

manual

aircon

uk value £9k

(highly modified) not sure if this will be a problem ?

not sure as i have been unable to find one for sale in oz

melbourne

any help much appreciated

thanks

Didn't even plug it into a calculator - bring it, I'm sure you will find a Ford collector willing to pay good money for it here, as it will be super rare. I've only ever seen one other in Australia.

Guest dodge8283

Thanks for the positive response, could you give me an estimate of how much it will cost to get it there and taxes ? Also the modifications will be a problem ? I am sure i read somewhere Australia requires the car to be factory standard.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Audi, A4, S line Avant,

Estate

2.0 tdi 140bhp

6 Speed Manual

Front wheel drive

dashboard says 135,000 miles (but has had a new engine that has only done 48,000 miles)

dual climate control and Air con

uk value £6500

cant see it in red book

rough aus market value....$20,000

QLD

Just into category C, but with high mileage and manual not being so appealing here, only bring it if you want to keep using it for a while.

Guest BoardBabe
Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

The car is in my name but my husband is the one eligible to import. Will that make any difference? It's a shared car, just in my name as I have cheaper insurance :-)

- year of manufacture - 2006

- make, model & variant - BMW x3 2.0 SE

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - 4x4

- engine size & fuel type - 2.0 diesel

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - 4wd

- mileage - 80,000

- does it have aircon - yes

- realistic current UK market value £8800

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $27,500 - $30,800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $23,000 (for a 2005 model)

- which Australian state/city - Brisbane

Hello Iron Chef,

I hope you are not yet tired of doing this, but I've been wondering for a while if it is worth bringing my car, so here are the details;

year of manufacture - 2006

- make, model & variant - BMW 330d

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - estate

- engine size & fuel type - 3.0 diesel

- transmission automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - rear wheel drive

- mileage - 70,000

- any special features, options or modification - no

- realistic current UK market value £9000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - 2006 - 2009 not available on site, closest year 09 - 65000$

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) 2006 - 2009 not available on site, closest year 09 - 65000$

- which Australian state/city - Sydney

Regards,

Les

Welcome again to lots of new members! Make sure you hang around for a while, PIO has lots to offer!

Hi could you check my car out please?

2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto, diesel, air con

$27200 - 30700

£15000

Thanks

It's a category C using those figures, although I suspect your value for selling it in the UK might be a bit optimistic ;)

Hi craig. How about my uther halfs 2003 streetka lux with 30,000 mils on the clock. owend from new and one of the first 1,000 of the production line. Thanks Bucky

Hi Bucky, we never got the convertible Ka here, funnily enough. Realistically, it's a Category C unless you happen to find someone here who is madly in love with them and it's their only chance to buy a convertible. Chances are you want to keep it for yourselves, either way. It would be an interesting addition at car shows here, for sure.

The car is in my name but my husband is the one eligible to import. Will that make any difference? It's a shared car, just in my name as I have cheaper insurance :-)

- year of manufacture - 2006

- make, model & variant - BMW x3 2.0 SE

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - 4x4

- engine size & fuel type - 2.0 diesel

- transmission manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - 4wd

- mileage - 80,000

- realistic current UK market value £8800

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $27,500 - $30,800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $23,000 (for a 2005 model)

- which Australian state/city - Brisbane

Tehcnically an A, but I've dropped it to a B because we only got the larger 6cyl diesel motors here in 2006.

Hello Iron Chef,

I hope you are not yet tired of doing this, but I've been wondering for a while if it is worth bringing my car, so here are the details;

year of manufacture - 2006

- make, model & variant - BMW 330d

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - estate

- engine size & fuel type - 3.0 diesel

- transmission automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - rear wheel drive

- mileage - 70,000

- any special features, options or modification - no

- realistic current UK market value £9000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - 2006 - 2009 not available on site, closest year 09 - 65000$

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) 2006 - 2009 not available on site, closest year 09 - 65000$

- which Australian state/city - Sydney

Regards,

Les

Hi Les - your car is a similar situation to the last vehicle, but in reverse. We never got the 3.0 diesel in the 3 series for that year, but it will hold appeal to potential buyers when the time comes. The calculator is spitting out category B, but I suspect that will improve to category A over time if you own it here for a while.

Hi, Hope you can help me and my hubby decide!! We bought a wreck of a campervan and fully restored it with many many new parts, bare metal respray and fitted a full campervan interior. I think we should bring her but he thinks not...... I've provided as many details as I can.

- year of manufacture - 1977

- make, model & variant - VW Campervan

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - Full campervan fittings (Rock and Roll bed, storgae cupboards, leisure system, stereo system, lots of accessories

- engine size & fuel type - 1600 petrol

- transmission - Manual 4 speed

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - Front Wheel Drive

- mileage - questionable - probably 100k plus....chances are she's been round the clock at least once.

- any special features, options or modification - Full campervan fittings - full bare metal restoration 2012

- does it have aircon - Absolutely not!

- realistic current UK market value - GBP 10k upwards

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - Not found.....

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city - Seriously varies depending on condition, age, originality etc...

Any ideas are gratefully received - thanks! Amy

Hello there! I got my visa through yesterday, and I've been umm'ing and aah'ing over whether I should take my beloved motor - so any advice here would really help!

- year of manufacture - 2008

- make, model & variant - AUDI TT TDI Quattro

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Coupe

- engine size & fuel type 2.0 diesel

- transmission Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4wd

- mileage 32,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification - sat nav, reverse peepers, 6cd changer in glove box

- does it have aircon Yes

- realistic current UK market value £16,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $40,000-$45,000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $42,000

- which Australian state/city Melbourne

Want to ship it next month if poss.

Hiya, hoping to head over to Queensland in may 2013.

- year of manufacture - 2011

- make, model & variant - BMW 535D M sport

- engine size & fuel type 3.0 diesel

- transmission Manual and auto

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) rear wheel drive

- mileage 9,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification - BMW professional media package, reversing camera, 19" alloys, BMW vision package, park assist

- realistic current UK market value £40,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $90,700 - $98,300

- Australian market value $100,000?

- which Australian state/city QLD/Brisbane

Looking to ship out in may next year.

Thanks

Hi, Hope you can help me and my hubby decide!! We bought a wreck of a campervan and fully restored it with many many new parts, bare metal respray and fitted a full campervan interior. I think we should bring her but he thinks not...... I've provided as many details as I can.

- year of manufacture - 1977

- make, model & variant - VW Campervan

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - Full campervan fittings (Rock and Roll bed, storgae cupboards, leisure system, stereo system, lots of accessories

- engine size & fuel type - 1600 petrol

- transmission - Manual 4 speed

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - Front Wheel Drive

- mileage - questionable - probably 100k plus....chances are she's been round the clock at least once.

- any special features, options or modification - Full campervan fittings - full bare metal restoration 2012

- does it have aircon - Absolutely not!

- realistic current UK market value - GBP 10k upwards

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - Not found.....

- which Australian state/city - Seriously varies depending on condition, age, originality etc...

Any ideas are gratefully received - thanks! Amy

Ok this is one of those answers that is never going to be right! It's pretty obvious that you love it and you're not going to get your money back if you sell it in the UK - my personal opinion would be to spend the money to bring it over, so you can get more enjoyment from the work you put into it. The experience of driving the same car on opposite sides of the planet is one that can't be described, and you could have some great adventures cruising around the Aussie countryside. Early Kombis are going up in value here, so there's a good chance it will appeal to an enthusiast when the time comes to sell.

Hello there! I got my visa through yesterday, and I've been umm'ing and aah'ing over whether I should take my beloved motor - so any advice here would really help!

- year of manufacture - 2008

- make, model & variant - AUDI TT TDI Quattro

- engine size & fuel type 2.0 diesel

- transmission Manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) 4wd

- mileage 32,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification - sat nav, reverse peepers, 6cd changer in glove box

- realistic current UK market value £16,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $40,000-$45,000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) $42,000

- which Australian state/city Melbourne

Want to ship it next month if poss.

Category A.

Hiya, hoping to head over to Queensland in may 2013.

- year of manufacture - 2011

- make, model & variant - BMW 535D M sport

- engine size & fuel type 3.0 diesel

- transmission Manual and auto

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) rear wheel drive

- mileage 9,000 miles

- any special features, options or modification - BMW professional media package, reversing camera, 19" alloys, BMW vision package, park assist

- realistic current UK market value £40,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) $90,700 - $98,300

- Australian market value $100,000?

- which Australian state/city QLD/Brisbane

Looking to ship out in may next year.

Thanks

Category A, especially being an M Sport model.

I hope you are still doing this? Any help would be appreciated! Should I bring my Citroen C4 to Oz?

Year of manufacture: 2010

Citroen C4 TDI 1.6

21,000 miles

Yes it has aircon

Automatic transmission

Oz red book value: $26K-36K

Oz market value: $22K-$32

THANK YOU :)

Yes we're still doing it but I need the UK value :)

Guest pixie2097

Interesting thread. I have a sister living in Australia who is in the market for a new car. She's got about $16000 to spend and I had a quick look at the car sales in Oz. I had no idea they were so expensive. Just interested to see what advice people have. Is it a sensible option?

Just into Category C. Might still be worth considering if you plan to use it for a while, especially being diesel, as it will depreciate fairly slowly from here on in.

Didn't even plug it into a calculator - bring it, I'm sure you will find a Ford collector willing to pay good money for it here, as it will be super rare. I've only ever seen one other in Australia.

Hi iron chef

p2003 ford transit mwb

Medium roof

72000 mmiles

owned from new

uk value £3000

was thinking of putting all my power tools in the van whilst importing to perth from eedinburgh whilst the van is not worth a lot I would get another 3 years out it the oz price is 12000-15000 $

Hi Craig. The wife and I are planning to move to Perth in April Next year.

I've got a Toyota Aygo which is worth about £5k but doesn't have air-con and isn't sold in OZ. I assume that It's not worth bringing?

As we've got time, would it be worth selling the car and buying a Porsche Boxter (1998-2000 around 100k miles £4-5K).

Oh Sorry, the UK value is £9,500. thanks!

At those figures it's a category A, but I'd probably bump that to a B because those Redbook figures sound a touch high.

Interesting thread. I have a sister living in Australia who is in the market for a new car. She's got about $16000 to spend and I had a quick look at the car sales in Oz. I had no idea they were so expensive. Just interested to see what advice people have. Is it a sensible option?

It's a sensible option but it's not an option for her unless 1) she's moved to Australia in the last 6 months and has her car still sitting in the UK, or 2) you're coming to Australia and are prepared to sell your car to her, in which case you'll end up in the same boat as she is currently. Importing regulations are fairly strict for personal imports - make sure you have a read of the first post in this thread.

Hi iron chef

p2003 ford transit mwb

Medium roof

72000 mmiles

owned from new

uk value £3000

was thinking of putting all my power tools in the van whilst importing to perth from eedinburgh whilst the van is not worth a lot I would get another 3 years out it the oz price is 12000-15000 $

Category B. If you're going to stash other gear inside it, then yes it's probably worth doing. It will need to go in a container, so make sure the value of the tools is greater than the price difference between shipping it RORO and container.

Hi Craig. The wife and I are planning to move to Perth in April Next year.

I've got a Toyota Aygo which is worth about £5k but doesn't have air-con and isn't sold in OZ. I assume that It's not worth bringing?

As we've got time, would it be worth selling the car and buying a Porsche Boxter (1998-2000 around 100k miles £4-5K).

As good as the Aygo is, it would be an orphan here - sell it and get a Boxster (are they really that cheap over there?!)

Guest pixie2097

Ah, noted, I did have a read about this doing it the hard way months ago before I knew you guys existed. Sounds like a non-starter, shes been there for years.