Driving In Australia

stuffy123

In QLD you just take in your UK one and they give you a QLD one. No eye test & no theory test. We got ours this yr when on hol, even my 17 yold who'd only passed his test 2 mths before got his although I think that as of July this yr there were going to be some changes for young/new drivers, but I dont know what as we were there before that.

You get your UK one back.

I think other States you have to have an eye test and I know in NSW there are restrictions on new drivers.

Sam x

just A Quick Question For Anyone Who Knows. Do I Have To Take A Drivng Test In Australia If I Already Have A Licence From The Uk.

In Victoria you have to change your UK licence within 3 months (not sure what happens after that if you don't - I think you have to do the theory but not sure). We changed our licences in the first week of being here so we had aussie ID.

OH also had his bike licence changed onto his aussie licence with no extra testing. He did have to go and do the training, practical and theory test for his lorry licence (he has now got a heavy combination licence the last step is multi combination). The aussies don't yet do a direct transfer from UK HGV to Aussie!

No eye test either although we did have to declare if we wear specs for driving and it is recorded on your licence if you do. OH wears specs all the time, mine are only for driving so if I get stopped and I'm not wearing them I could be in trouble!

Felicity:wub:

Guest mutikonka

Yes in NSW. With a UK licence you can drive for a year then you have to do the full driving test - but compared to the UK test it is easy, just a formality. And as the previous poster said, it's really essential to have a local drivers licence - you need it for ID everywhere from the post office, bank and flying on domestic flights.

my oh has a provisional driving license and has been learning to drive on and off for past 2 years but due to work and being pregnant she hasnt had chance to take her test does anyone know how she will have to go about this we have been told that she has to be a learner driver for a year in oz before she can take her test in oz but we wondered if her experience here would count or not?

We didn't need a medicare card for vicroads. We showed our passports, UK driving licences and a letter from my Uncle verifying we were staying with him and stating how long he had known us. I was also asked for a bank card and because we hadn't received our aussie ones she accepted my barclaycard as proof identity.

• 2 weeks later...

just a little of topic, but i have just finished a 2 month trip round Oz and covered around 13000ks. Im astonished by the amount of tailgaters that i have experienced and seen. many times i have been doing 100-120ks and i have had some idiot within 3ft of my rear bumper, its crazy. You only have to drive past a body repairer to see the cars with front and rear damage, i do chuckle to myself, rant over

To judge by the standard of driving in Melbourne, nobody has to do a test.

Guest graham$nic
Yes in NSW. With a UK licence you can drive for a year then you have to do the full driving test - but compared to the UK test it is easy, just a formality. And as the previous poster said, it's really essential to have a local drivers licence - you need it for ID everywhere from the post office, bank and flying on domestic flights.

Hi we arrived in october and driving licence's just got changed over no test for hubby but as i have only had my uk licence for 2 years i have to take a theory but not for 2 years have to drive on green p plates untill its time to take it. But as long as you have had your uk drivers licence for 3 years there is no test just form filling and a fee here in nsw.

Archived