Do Ozzies really think like this?

thewebweazel

i dont think displaying Aussie flags are offensive at all espec on Australia day!

Obviously there is nothing offensive about displaying the Aussie flag on Austalia Day,nor the Irish flag on St Patricks Day,nor English flag on St Georges Day, American on July 4th or French on Bastille Day or any other flag on that nations particular day.

More a question of how it is displayed. Not sure how many on here where in Perth several years ago when many hundreds of bogan yobs with flags, some dressed in Southern Cross shorts took to attacking the police with bottles, fists whatever was at hand. The chants were the usual Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi,Oi, Oi, a chant often thought perfected for such like minded idiots.

So it is how the flag is used and it used wrongly is very offensive.

By the way an African fellow playing drums in the Hat St Mall was set upon by some of these patriotic fools which was witnessed by British tourists who gave their shocked reports on what happened to the media. Five on one real heros.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day...people can think what they like, down to them, just steer clear....you'll get rascism in any country...I feel i have as much right to live here as any Australian born here...take a bit more than being called a POM to make me feel unwelcome. We're all citizens of the world and no person has any more right than any othe to live anywhere is how I think. Same as in UK, just because I was born there doesnt give me more rights than an immigrant from Poland or Nigeria for that matter. Live and let live.....theres more of that here than in the UK for sure....

Fi I like your thinking!

.........have found Australians on the whole.........more accommodating of different nationalities...........this was something one of the family's who went home commented on..............that at least in the uk she was unlikely to have someone of a different ethnic background live next door.............as they tended to stick to their own areas..............where as here there was a more mixed neighborhood...............and some types wouldn't be tolerated in certain areas...............I have put it a little more politely..............and personally don't know if the uk situation is still true....( it was IMO many years ago) .............but I think the racist Australians are a minority...................ime

I really hope that you are right, but unfortunately its the "Offensive" minority that sets the perceptions.

As a first small step you might like to learn how to spell Aussie :wink:

Actually I know how to spell "Aussie" but I prefer not to. Its all got to with my perception of my quest to secure a visa and live in OZ ( I'll translate Oz = Australia) which has been very much like Dorothy skipping down the yellow brick road to the fantasy land. I have refrained from wearing "pigtails" and cross dressing but the journey has been very similar.

Years ago I was driving behind a car with a "f off we're full"sticker and my 6 year old at the time asked what it was all about.When I got home I thought he shouldn't be subjected to that at that age and just for my own curiosity rang the police and asked them if it was illegal.The policewoman I spoke to laughed her head off,then she went off to get her sergeant.He more or less said what's the big deal.I guess it is a case of if you don't like it (in Altona at the time)go back to where you came from.

I wondered if this is the way that Ozzies think, there seems to be quite a few examples on the web of this xenophobic behaviour [QUOTE]

It is the way a few bogan rednecks think...not the way most Australians think.

I have to say I haven't seen one car sticker with that sort of sentiment on it.

I don't like overt displays of nationalism, except at sporting events. Yesterday there were so many cars festooned with multiple Aussie flags it verged on offensive. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like this and that many Australians feel the same.

I cannot help but detect an undercurrent of the FIFO attitude to such nationalistic behaviour. However I agree that there are probably just as many racists in the uk. I think it goes with the territory of not being well travelled or well educated, breeding generations of narrow minded racists.

That is one thing that I notice on arrival in the UK years ago was that the Union Flag seemed to be an object of embarrassment which I felt was sad, considering it was a symbol of a powerful empire, in the past. I understand now why the general British public has shunned its own national symbol, but surely it can be reclaimed now? It has been 20 years.

For me being a S.African I have a S.African flag on my car, one on my Baseball cap and one on my jacket. I feel it is my identity and I am proud to be African, it doesn't mean that I now hate any other nationality or that I would blindly follow the ideals that my (old) country stands for.

Its sad that Australia Day is used by some to sprout hatred (which has most likely to do with feelings of inferiority and lack of self confidence) instead of a celebration of a country and its morals

Years ago I was driving behind a car with a "f off we're full"sticker and my 6 year old at the time asked what it was all about.When I got home I thought he shouldn't be subjected to that at that age and just for my own curiosity rang the police and asked them if it was illegal.The policewoman I spoke to laughed her head off,then she went off to get her sergeant.He more or less said what's the big deal.I guess it is a case of if you don't like it (in Altona at the time)go back to where you came from.

I suppose it has to do with whether the word is classified as offensive in the eyes of the law in OZ and weather displays of the word is illegal.

I wondered if this is the way that Ozzies think, there seems to be quite a few examples on the web of this xenophobic behaviour [QUOTE]

Well I'm glad to hear that.

That is one thing that I notice on arrival in the UK years ago was that the Union Flag seemed to be an object of embarrassment which I felt was sad, considering it was a symbol of a powerful empire, in the past. I understand now why the general British public has shunned its own national symbol, but surely it can be reclaimed now? It has been 20 years.

For me being a S.African I have a S.African flag on my car, one on my Baseball cap and one on my jacket. I feel it is my identity and I am proud to be African, it doesn't mean that I now hate any other nationality or that I would blindly follow the ideals that my (old) country stands for.

Its sad that Australia Day is used by some to sprout hatred (which has most likely to do with feelings of inferiority and lack of self confidence) instead of a celebration of a country and its morals

Im very proud of being English (as well as half Irish) but dont need or want to use flags to prove that. I don't have an issue with the use of flags, especially on Australia day, more the excessive display of nationalism that you occasionally see here. Anzac day has become another 'excuse' for some to go way over the top.

I don't like nationalism. I don't think it's healthy.

The irony of the FIFO acronym is that Aussie FIFO workers themselves do not fit in to the regional areas such as Central Queensland where they rake in high wages and contribute nothing to the local community - in fact they push up rents and overload the already strained local health services such as GPs. The other irony is that the true blue Aussie resource companies who cry so loudly about un-Australian things such as a super profits tax are now hiring mining engineers from Poland.

Guest AKA63029

My own take on it is that no matter where you go in the world there will always be racism to an extent, if you go looking you can definitely find it ANYWHERE.

But from my own personal experience is that I only suffered ONCE from direct racism (Pommy). He was a numpty anyway, and had a 'thing' about the old empire, though he understood little of t and was just a clown.

But it can also work in reverse I guess. I used to stay at a backpackers in Cairns, middle of nowhere and ALL types stayed there, several different nationalities and for all intents and purposes was a microcosm of a small world.

As the 'new' pom in town I was aware that at times I was going to be the butt of many a joke and dig, all of which were light hearted, BUT.

There was a fella staying at the back of the retreat in a tent virtually pitched in the rainforest. He was also a pom and to put it mildly felt as if he was a cut above everyone else. As is the way with backpackers and some of the younger generation this led to conflict. The fella would often complain bout the noise, amount of booze parteken and in general the 'younger' generation.

On more than one occasion as he cycled past the retreat words were exchanged between himself and some of the others. The words included Fxxxxxx Pommy, this and that, and it was rather colourful.

If I was in earshot of the offensive language without a doubt the most virulent of the younger generation would come up to me and apoloigise for using the Pommy terminology and made sure I wasn't offended by what he/they had said.

This happened on numerous occasions and each time I accepted the apology with good grace.

It was simply that he was a Pom and this was the 'easiest' target pick on, (when he did go off on one) I have no doubt if he had big ears this would have been the target of their vitriol, but it was simply that he was a pom and that was the basis for their language toward him. As I said, was always accepted by the group, and they always made me feel welcome even after 'slating' the other fella with all types of language that centered around his birth country.

At no point did I or will I ever change for the Aussies, I will just be me is all, but by being me I also realise that it is my responsibility to 'fit in' to a degree to 'their' country.

That does not men apologising for who I am, or indeed not remaining truly proud of my ancestry, it just means being accepting that I am now in Australia and the quicker I come to terms with this the better.

Stop moaning about the weather, shops, drivers, attitudes and the like. It is just Australia is all, and if I can't 'volunteer a certain degree of 'acceptance' then I would have been well and truly buggered.

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest36187

Here's another take on it......

Is the problem with all these things (such as the FIFO sticker/Aussie flags) what is said? OR

is the problem how we perceive it?

I have to say neither bother me. I'm happy in my lot! With everything going on in the world......I have bigger things to be concerned bout!!!

Here's another take on it......

Is the problem with all these things (such as the FIFO sticker/Aussie flags) what is said? OR

is the problem how we perceive it?

I have to say neither bother me. I'm happy in my lot! With everything going on in the world......I have bigger things to be concerned bout!!!

Not sure how else you can perceive the words "fit in or f off"

Guest guest36187

Was just thinking out loud....

Before we got here we were told.....you will be called a pommy b****** but don't worry, it's a term of endearment! We were never bothered when people said it. Others may be horrified to hear that being said to a Pom. That's what I mean by perceptions.

Just my thoughts

Was just thinking out loud....

Before we got here we were told.....you will be called a pommy b****** but don't worry, it's a term of endearment! We were never bothered when people said it. Others may be horrified to hear that being said to a Pom. That's what I mean by perceptions.

Just my thoughts

I agree it's how it's said, the context etc.

It's easy to tell when it's meant endearingly (which IME is 90% of the time) and when it's meant as a racial slur

Guest juliatimms

I didn't really get any "racism or pom bashing" as such over in Oz - all of it was in v good spirits and I think I gave as good back once England started winning a few things!

Anyhow Tony hope you are good and hope to hear from you soon. Julia

Im very proud of being English (as well as half Irish) but dont need or want to use flags to prove that. I don't have an issue with the use of flags, especially on Australia day, more the excessive display of nationalism that you occasionally see here. Anzac day has become another 'excuse' for some to go way over the top.

I don't like nationalism. I don't think it's healthy.

I agree with you when you talk about nationalism in a political sense,but I am talking about nationalism in a sense of location (if you can use the word like that). I understand what you are getting at, in the old S.Africa the Orange, White and Blue flag was about a political ideology and display of this flag is generally a statement of rejection of the new S.Africa. At this point in time, and I hope it stays like that, the new flag does not have a political connection to it. Most S.African's irrespective of their culture, colour or political views recognise the New flag as there own (which I most surprised by) and it is a wonderful display of unity.

Guest guest57588
I agree it's how it's said, the context etc.

It's easy to tell when it's meant endearingly (which IME is 90% of the time) and when it's meant as a racial slur

Dunno which poster you've got in mind there Harpo?!.....:cute:

Guest guest57588
I didn't really get any "racism or pom bashing" as such over in Oz - all of it was in v good spirits and I think I gave as good back once England started winning a few things!

Anyhow Tony hope you are good and hope to hear from you soon. Julia

Sorry, is this how Australia's 'new politics' are played out, the PM and the Opposition Leader passing messages on PIO?!

See them car stickers all the time in Perth.

Maybe it's a Perth thing? Haven't seen one here (Tasmania). Not saying they don't exist but I drive around the city most days and have yet to see one. The redneck one here was "Kill a greenie".

I totally agree. When I arrived in the UK I was very surprised at how "unpatriotic" people are. I asked some people at work why there was no "UK day", and they just laughed at me and told me that I was forcing my own patriotic beliefs on them. I know there's St. Andrew's Day here in Scotland, but I didn't even get the day off work and there didn't seem to be much of a celebration. I really think people over here need to feel a little more pride in the UK.... but that's just my opinion! :biggrin:

On the other,more positive side often parked in the drive way of a house a few doors up from me is a car with the sticker"I Support Refugees and I Vote"