Most Expensive Dog Breeds

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

1. The Löwchen - a small, long-haired dog that was popular during the Renaissance but which became virtually extinct by the 19th century. Now revived, a Löwchen puppy fetches between £3,000 to £5,000 on average.

2. The Canadian Eskimo Dog - another breed that almost went extinct.

3. The Samoyed - A medium-sized fluffy Siberian sled dog, Samoyeds have become popular at dog shows, but are a high-maintenance breed.

Puppies go for between £2,500 and £4,500.

4. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - Can command a princely sum of anywhere between £600 and £9,000.

5. Rottweiler - Rottweilers can come with fearsome price tags of between £1,500 and £5,000.

6. Tibetan Mastiff - The world’s most expensive dog because of high demand from Chinese millionaires, but it is still possible to get puppies for between £2,000 and £3,000.

7. English Bulldog - Male bulldogs can easily crush females during breeding, so artificial insemination is common. The large size of their heads also requires a Caesarian section for birthing. All of which adds up to a price tag of around £1,500 to £2,000.

8. Eygptian Pharoah Hound - Again, because of its rarity, these dogs can easily fetch £1,500 to £2,000.

9. Bearded Collie - A working dog originally used by Scottish shepherds, it can fetch £500 to £600.

10. Akita - A Japanese breed, named after Akita Prefecture, these dogs cost between £300 and £500.

Some odd numbers there. I know of lots of breeds going for more than some of those.

And sadly, a breed like the Akita has become such a disposable breed here. Their popularity went high, prices dropped for some reason and now and you can pick them up for £300 :( Sadly many people don't realise what they are taking on with this breed and we see no end of them through rescues as people simply can't cope with them (and in some cases afford to feed them, they don't seem to realise what large dogs they are). They are not an easy breed to rehome either :sad:

My aunt had a Lowchen many years ago. Most awful dog ever. It bit me no end of times and was mean, snappy and yappy. I'd never go near the breed again.

Guest The Pom Queen

I suppose it's all down to pedigree lines to how much someone is willing to pay. I once paid $15k for a cat, and that was a hell of a lot of years ago.

Guest AKA63029
1. The Löwchen - a small, long-haired dog that was popular during the Renaissance but which became virtually extinct by the 19th century. Now revived, a Löwchen puppy fetches between £3,000 to £5,000 on average.

2. The Canadian Eskimo Dog - another breed that almost went extinct.

3. The Samoyed - A medium-sized fluffy Siberian sled dog, Samoyeds have become popular at dog shows, but are a high-maintenance breed.

Puppies go for between £2,500 and £4,500.

4. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - Can command a princely sum of anywhere between £600 and £9,000.

5. Rottweiler - Rottweilers can come with fearsome price tags of between £1,500 and £5,000.

6. Tibetan Mastiff - The world’s most expensive dog because of high demand from Chinese millionaires, but it is still possible to get puppies for between £2,000 and £3,000.

7. English Bulldog - Male bulldogs can easily crush females during breeding, so artificial insemination is common. The large size of their heads also requires a Caesarian section for birthing. All of which adds up to a price tag of around £1,500 to £2,000.

8. Eygptian Pharoah Hound - Again, because of its rarity, these dogs can easily fetch £1,500 to £2,000.

9. Bearded Collie - A working dog originally used by Scottish shepherds, it can fetch £500 to £600.

10. Akita - A Japanese breed, named after Akita Prefecture, these dogs cost between £300 and £500.

Bang on with the highlighted part there Kate, well in our experience anyway,:cry:

We have recently seen an English X Victorian Bully for sale at £1,700.:shocked:

I would be sorely tempted if not coming back to OZ and finances were better, but since having Bert and the terrible time we had with him (which could have been due to the breeding 'stragedy') it is very doubtful we will ever buy one again.

Cheers Tony.

Guest AKA63029

EVERY pedigree dog we have had Kate has had problems and died before their time.:mad:

Bert (English Bulldog), Ralph (Rough Haired Collie), Duke (Australian Shepherd) all died from problems 'associated' with the breed and way too early in their lives, BUT.

Bryn (Collie X Sheepdog, 15 when died, Jessie (Pig Dog X Something) 12, and of course Pocket, (Corgi X Terrier) 15 and still going strong.

The next time we buy one Kate it will be in Australia from the pound and definitely a 'Heinz'.

Cheers Tony.

Guest The Pom Queen
EVERY pedigree dog we have had Kate has had problems and died before their time.:mad:

Bert (English Bulldog), Ralph (Rough Haired Collie), Duke (Australian Shepherd) all died from problems 'associated' with the breed and way too early in their lives, BUT.

Bryn (Collie X Sheepdog, 15 when died, Jessie (Pig Dog X Something) 12, and of course Pocket, (Corgi X Terrier) 15 and still going strong.

The next time we buy one Kate it will be in Australia from the pound and definitely a 'Heinz'.

Cheers Tony.

I have to hold my hands up and say you are right Tony, as breeders we are usually too busy chasing lines and it's been known for breeders to inbreed to secure a trait, the problem is you also double up on any genetic faults.

We paid €900 for our little girl, I know some of you must think we are mad, but she was worth every penny, I know nothing about breeding, but I have her pedigree and it looks good, plus she has one of the nicest temperaments ever, I doubt that she has a growl, snap or bite in her, dead cute.

CIMG2375.JPG

CIMG2375.JPG

I've had Border Collies all my life which are relatively cheap here and it breaks my heart that therer are so many unscrupulous breeders who will sell them to anyone. Specific breeds have very different needs (in the BC case lots of exercise and a psychologist) and you need to be rthe right person for the breed. I hate seeing them at the pound and rehome them through Border Collie Rescue when needs be. I've never had one who was less than 14 when he died - working breeds seem to be tougher, I guess 'cause they're bred for trials and agility, not normally the show ring

my parents got a dog for the family when i was 9 months old. he was a corgi-collie-husky cross. i had to take him to be put down eventually when i was 22.

now my mum has Siberian Huskies that she occasionally breeds. cost £750 per puppy, but you have to be vetted and well versed in the breed to buy one from her. there are 6 in our family. all brorthers and sisters except the oldest dog who is the mum, and a male rescue.

376224_10150464798254273_714579272_8596853_1745356805_n.jpg

376224_10150464798254273_714579272_8596853_1745356805_n.jpg

I suppose it's all down to pedigree lines to how much someone is willing to pay. I once paid $15k for a cat, and that was a hell of a lot of years ago.

Wow...I was feeling guiltily self indulgent about paying $450 for a pedigree Ragdoll (not for showing or breeding) although I did already have 2 orphans from the Cat Centre.

I feel so much better now....Thankyou M2M :wubclub:

Guest Calliope

Xtonite, your dog is gorgeous.

We have a one year old black labrador. She is adored by all the family, inclined to be over-friendly, and completely bonkers.

One thing I can't stand is the idea of a 'fashionable' dog. Enough is known about breeds for people to work out what sort of dog will suit their lifestyle, that should be the deciding factor when it comes to breeds. We put a lot of effort into choosing a labrador and knew the breed would be right for us, and she is.

(I really do need to emphasis the bonkers, though, and the bouncy. My husband thinks she might be part kangaroo ;) )

Xtonite, your dog is gorgeous.

We have a one year old black labrador. She is adored by all the family, inclined to be over-friendly, and completely bonkers.

One thing I can't stand is the idea of a 'fashionable' dog. Enough is known about breeds for people to work out what sort of dog will suit their lifestyle, that should be the deciding factor when it comes to breeds. We put a lot of effort into choosing a labrador and knew the breed would be right for us, and she is.

(I really do need to emphasis the bonkers, though, and the bouncy. My husband thinks she might be part kangaroo ;) )

yes he is lovely (and I never wanted another dog!!!). We used to have a Westie who was very grumpy and would try and take your hand off if you so much as looked at him. But Sid here is very cuddly and thinks he is a lap dog. he's also rather intelligent which can be a problem when he's bored!

Geoff