What have you done today to get yourself to OZ?

thewebweazel

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's all systems go here

Decided that bringing the Steiff teddy bear is going to cause too much grief with customs. DAFF emailed me to say that the stuffing would have to be removed from the bear for inspection and they charge $45 for every 15 minutes after the initial $90 fee. Erm. It doesn't have any sentimental value so I guess it is going to auction.

Decided to go with Doree Bonner. Booked the carpet fitters for tomorrow morning to replace the one in my son's room so that I get my full deposit back from the landlord.

Sorted stuff to go to the tip and other stuff for selling. The first lot is on gumtree tomorrow. Hoping for a nice day so I can get some pretty shots of my garden furniture for Ebay.

Still trying to decide about whether to sell my skis. Will I ever use them again?

Cancelling my gym membership :sad:and my storage facility tomorrow.

Very busy day ahead tomorrow. Clearing the garden, selling stuff and shifting furniture around.

Millie x

How are you finding it Heather?

Millie x

not bad at all Millie, struggling to get into teaching here even in TAFE...they want me to pay to transfer my UK qual over even though it has been assessed for my visa. Stupid really because I have friends who did the same as me and have gone straight into TAFE albeit different states. The conversion was all based on APL so no actual work would have to be done... I am going to a uni open day on Sat to see if I can fast track into secondary...

i have signed on with an agency to see if I can get some cheffing work, they rang me yesterday and have got full time work for me from tomorrow, at least it will bring in another income whilst I attack the teaching side of things...

Oh and its freezing on an evening!

Mike got a job in the second week of being here...thankfully.

When are you moving?

not bad at all Millie, struggling to get into teaching here even in TAFE...they want me to pay to transfer my UK qual over even though it has been assessed for my visa. Stupid really because I have friends who did the same as me and have gone straight into TAFE albeit different states. The conversion was all based on APL so no actual work would have to be done... I am going to a uni open day on Sat to see if I can fast track into secondary...

i have signed on with an agency to see if I can get some cheffing work, they rang me yesterday and have got full time work for me from tomorrow, at least it will bring in another income whilst I attack the teaching side of things...

Oh and its freezing on an evening!

Mike got a job in the second week of being here...thankfully.

When are you moving?

Great news on the job for Mike. Takes a little pressure off. It's great that you managed to secure some agency work. I am starting to panic a little about jobs. I have to get full time work to qualify for permanent residency on the 475.

I have seen quite a few deputy head jobs but no suitable mainstream teaching jobs. I am reluctant to go for deputy head jobs - I just don't want a baptism of fire into the Oz education system. I am hoping more 2013 jobs will come out this month but they seem to be just advertising for supply pools mainly. I really would prefer a bit of a break from teaching so looking at laboratory work too.

Our flight is booked for November 2nd so on the count down now. I wish I did have to go back to work for term 1.

Good luck with the work tomorrow and the job hunt

Millie x

Great news on the job for Mike. Takes a little pressure off. It's great that you managed to secure some agency work. I am starting to panic a little about jobs. I have to get full time work to qualify for permanent residency on the 475.

I have seen quite a few deputy head jobs but no suitable mainstream teaching jobs. I am reluctant to go for deputy head jobs - I just don't want a baptism of fire into the Oz education system. I am hoping more 2013 jobs will come out this month but they seem to be just advertising for supply pools mainly. I really would prefer a bit of a break from teaching so looking at laboratory work too.

Our flight is booked for November 2nd so on the count down now. I wish I did have to go back to work for term 1.

Good luck with the work tomorrow and the job hunt

Millie x

thanks Millie

Hi everyone, Heather, Im sooo pleased that things are going good with you, 5 weeks already time has flown, great to hear from you.

Millie, huge congrats to you, it is all going ahead, that great to hear, good luck with selling things and getting packed up.

Candygirl, great to hear you are well. Looks like everyone is having great news at the moment....really pleased for you all.

just wanted to pass on my regards to everyone

Becky xxxxxx

Millie - I have two Steiff bears and I cannot leave them behind - one was a wedding present from OH, I cannot leave or sell him, the bear that is! Where did you read that the stuffing has to come out - that's just cruel:mad:.

Hey C girl.

I know it is a pain. DAFF said they would class it as a wood shaving item and because it weighs under 5kg, it does not need a licence. They did suggest that it can be either heat treated or treated with gamma radiation if you want to avoid having the stuffing removed. Rather than go on and on I will forward the email to you. If I could get it through for 50 quid I would but I reckon it would end up being a lot more than that. Let me know if you get any more joy than me. I might give them a ring and see if there is a cheaper way before I sell it.

Sold my lounge rattan outdoor furniture today, a divan bed, a double mattress, a rug and a bookshelf. Some bloke nearly bit my hand off for my golf clubs. He is sending a courier all the way from London. My dear little car has been scrubbed to sell. Just put this set on gumtree too. Will miss this because I liked it a lot;

furniture.jpg

Millie x

furniture.jpg

Hi everyone, Heather, Im sooo pleased that things are going good with you, 5 weeks already time has flown, great to hear from you.

Millie, huge congrats to you, it is all going ahead, that great to hear, good luck with selling things and getting packed up.

Candygirl, great to hear you are well. Looks like everyone is having great news at the moment....really pleased for you all.

just wanted to pass on my regards to everyone

Becky xxxxxx

Thanks Becky

How are you getting along?

Millie x

Millie - there's no stopping you Gal!!!!! You have certainly been busy:biggrin: Thanks for the email, I have filed it in my Aussie folder. I love the furniture, I am sure that will sell quickly as well.

Becky - what's happening with you both? Do you have a date in mind yet? I know you have lots to get sorted.

Stayed up until the early hours of this morning and submitted our 190 visa in skillselect!

Woohoo!

Yay!!

Your on your way down the oz road.

Today has been frustrating. A 5 hour drive to the airport and back to drop my brother off. Deepest darkest Devon is lovely but not if you want to go anywhere in a hurry or shop at Christian Dior.

It's true, you should never mix friends and money. All the people who wanted me to let them know the very second I was thinking of selling my car. Well of course they want it for next to nothing. So garage it is. I will call them tomorrow and do the deal. Based on our annual rainfall here, I am not relishing the thought of walking to the bus stop in the village for the next two months but needs must. I would take it with me but it isn't practical. :(

On the plus side my brother gave me stack of help with sorting my house and stuff out and gave my garden a short back and sides. :wubclub: It was a bit surreal and sad saying goodbye because it feels like its forever. :cry:

Millie x

Archived