University Degree needed?

JHSOLS

Morning all,

I have a quick question and wondered if anyone would be able to help me out with the answer! My husband is a Training & Development professional, he has 9 yrs experience doing the job (10 by the time we want to apply next year), he does not have a University Degree, there is no degree that he would of/could of taken for this profession, suppose the nearest thing would of been some kind of business degree, he has his "GCSE's" and he has 2 Business Courses that he took at college which were passed (think they were GNVQ's) and he has a University Course qualification for CITP which is a Certificate in Training Practice (recognised in UK but probably not Aus) but like I say no Actual degree of any kind. We were wanting to apply to WA for State Sponsorship as his Job is on the State Sponsorship Schedule list but have been told that because he has no degree he won't be accepted, however I have read the following statement under the "skill level" for the relevant Anzsco code

Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification.

that indicates to me, that because he has 10 yrs experience we can get the state sponsorship.....however I'm conscious of the words "may substitute" in the sentence.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

If we can't get there on SS we can't go, I have been told to go Employer Sponsored but with a young family in tow (the kids will be 18 months and nearly 6) we don't want to move all the way to Aus on a visa that could quite easily be retracted at any time, we think it's probably too risky!

thanks in advance for any help guys and fingers crossed the replies are good :biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I realised it's not about the degree as such, but the state are only bothered about a positive skills assessment, so I need to find out if VETASSESS will give a positive skill assessment based on experience rather than based on degree!

Thats the best option, its whatever way you can get the 65 points to be eligible for the visa you apply for, check his occupation code on Diac and see if it states he needs a degree but from you say he doesn't. They based their sponsorship on the skills assessment and ielts if applicable and then you have to submit in your formal application to diac all of his work experience again.

The ANZSCO commentary indicates the matters to be taken into account when deciding whether work was 'skilled' at a given time.

Relevant Australian court decisions on this matter vary from what is disclosed in ANZSCO.

ANZSCO is silent on the matter of Australian pre-migration skills assessments.

The regulations specify the occupations that are counted as skilled occupations for various purposes, and the relevant assessing bodies.

The relevant assessing bodies set their own skills assessment criteria.

It used to be possible to obtain a positive pre-migration skills assessment in a wide range of skilled occupations with no skill and no work experience in the occupation, provided the applicant had the required academic qualification/s. This is still possible in some occupations.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

Hello JHSOLS

I'm a safety training instructor/training and development manager and I applied through VETASSES and didnt have a degree and was not given a positive assessment, BUT last year they changed assessments from Vetassess to Australian Institute of Management who assess all levels of qualifications. I would advise getting your husbands qualifications assessed through AIM and he should get a positive assessment but may be assessed to cert iv or diploma level.

I have applied to hundreds of jobs through seek and other web sites as well as sending out cv to companies and got very few replies BUT good news a company is now interested and I hope to go out for a week with them so see if I like it and if things go well they will sponsor me. So be positive and keep pushing forwards.

lots of luck

Markh

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DevontoOz

Hi JHSOLS.

How's everything going? We're in a very similar position to you. My husband currently works in HR as a communications consultant. Before that (18 months ago, but in the same company) he was a training and development manager and before that, a trainer (both HR) - total 5 years experience. He also has no degree - only Btec level 3 and 4 in training and development. A few agencies have come back to us saying a skilled visa is not an option as 'he must be able to fit his daily work comfortably in to just one title' :-( He still does a lot of training, and his current job has a lot of similarities. We're really thinking there must be some route into Australia with his experience and qualifications - either training and development, office management or HR advisor. Maybe we'll go down the route of getting his skills assessed - probably for training and development???? Let me know how you're getting on and good luck.

i do not have a degree but just a Diploma when submitting my Skills Assesment to ACS and got a positive result.

i am not sure how it will affect State Sponsorship and DIAC with the final 176 visa application but if all goes well, a degree is advantageous but not needed. that said though, i have almost 8 years of relevant work experience.

keeping fingers crossed and staying positive.

Wow maybe shrink it down a bit - no need to hog my entire screen!! :)

The ANZSCO commentary indicates the matters to be taken into account when deciding whether work was 'skilled' at a given time.

Relevant Australian court decisions on this matter vary from what is disclosed in ANZSCO.

The regulations specify the occupations that are counted as skilled occupations for various purposes, and the relevant assessing bodies.

It used to be possible to obtain a positive pre-migration skills assessment in a wide range of skilled occupations with no skill and no work experience in the occupation, provided the applicant had the required academic qualification/s. This is still possible in some occupations.

can you please increase the font on this post, I forgot my glasses and can't see that well.

Guest Guest31881
Have you considered Ashcroft University? They will give you a degree for under $500 including post and packaging (bargain hard!) based on your life experience: http://www.ashcroft-university.org/

Ashcroft is not an acredited university, their degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on. Australia does not recognise their qualifications. We had a member two weeks ago refused permission to teach because she has an ashcroft degree,,,,

The Chartered Institute of Personel and Development http://www.cipd.co.uk/ offer qualifications in training as one of my former colleagues got her certification to train through them. The advanced course is equivalent to a Masters degree, takes a long time to do and quite expensive if i remember what she told me but their wualifications are recognised internationally.

Archived