Double baggage allowance Singapore airlines

Guest china

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - I know that the stated excess baggage allowance is for an unstamped visa - however has anyone had any experience after they have activated their visa?

We need to go on holiday this coming August to activate our visa, but then will probably be leaving permanently on a one-way ticket the following summer - this means our visa will have been stamped - does anyone know if singapore airlines make any exceptions for such a situation?

No they don't. Its for an unvalidated permanent visa. Once you've activated you lose the 20kg excess with them.

Wow - £40 per extra kilo! Thats unbelievable!

We'll just have to really think about what we take with us!

We've just got a quote from PSS for "excess baggage" - 20 tea cartons and a couple other packages, for £700 - we thought that wasn't too bad, so we'll probably go down that route to get most of our stuff out there. I am assuming that this would get there quicker than a container option?!

We've just got a quote from PSS for "excess baggage" - 20 tea cartons and a couple other packages, for £700 - we thought that wasn't too bad, so we'll probably go down that route to get most of our stuff out there. I am assuming that this would get there quicker than a container option?!

No, would still go in a container. May actually take longer as PPS would wait until they filled one with other peoples tea cartons as well as yours before putting it on the boat.

Also, try getting an online quote from:

http://www.freedom-shipping.com/

http://www.tntmagazine.com/expat-life/shipping

I am going to be booking one-way flights soon and I've been doing a lot of research. Singapore Airlines is the cheapest but they have the worst baggage allowance unless you get the migration allowance.

I am in the situation where I've already validated my visa but I don't have a passport stamp, so it's a bit tempting to book on Singapore and try to sweet talk the check-in assistant. I am not sure how they check the visa's been validated, anyone know?

Failing Singapore airlines, I was looking into BA. They have a *huge* allowance of 46kg (2 times 23), plus you can add another bag (23kg) for only £35! So if you want to take a lot of checked baggage it may work out cheaper overall even though BA's tickets are more expensive.

When they scan your passport at check in your travel movements pop up on the screen so I don't think there's a way round it.

On another note we have used PSS for 7 cartons they were picked up from our house in the uk on 26 nov and arrive 22 jan in Fremantle. So we are quite happy with the speed, also bear in mind what they charge you does not include customs inspection fees this end we have just got an $80 bill for this.

Loving Fremantle!

Guest Guest31881

I am in the situation where I've already validated my visa but I don't have a passport stamp, so it's a bit tempting to book on Singapore and try to sweet talk the check-in assistant. I am not sure how they check the visa's been validated, anyone know?

Try emailing Singapore and asking, explaining that you have done the initial visit and are now moving permanently. Some members have been given extra baggage once they explained to the airline.

Not sure how the electronic visa checking works, I would imagine it shows you have validated Australian visa.

As bensdad says, they know you visa status from their computer - DIAC gives them access to their records to try and ensure that only people with visa can get on the plane. That said, we were loads over our luggage allowance and I was expecting to pay $3000USD at the airport - but the girl managing the queue for check-in told the agent not to charge us as we were emigrating - so sweet talk could work.

Thanks for the post, I also rang Singapore airlines on two occassions and they also told me the same thing. This was also confirmed by the company who we booked our flights with. As long as you meet the requirements stated inthe email received by "china", you qualify for double baggae allowance. A bit strange that normally a passanger not going on a visa is entitled to 23kgs per person, but double baggage is set to 40kgs per person. I would have thought it would be 46kgs ... anyone heard of this or has it always been 40kgs?

Thanks for the post, I also rang Singapore airlines on two occassions and they also told me the same thing. This was also confirmed by the company who we booked our flights with. As long as you meet the requirements stated inthe email received by "china", you qualify for double baggae allowance. A bit strange that normally a passanger not going on a visa is entitled to 23kgs per person, but double baggage is set to 40kgs per person. I would have thought it would be 46kgs ... anyone heard of this or has it always been 40kgs?

Its 40kg. I'd just consider myself lucky to get that much if I was on a permanent unvalidated visa without having to pay extra. Honestly, its a good amount, does it matter if its not an exact 'double' allowance?

Don't forget you can also take 7kgs onto the plane as cabin luggage on top of the 40kg allowance with Singapore Airlines.

and on top of that, a laptop bag (but don't try for a massive laptop bag, just one of the little ones - they don't like the HUGE ones lol, I know from experience!), a camera bag, a walking stick, an umbrella and a handbag.

Tempting to use the full allowance but then I try to picture us in Hong Hong, travelling to our 4 day stopover in Disneyland..... several huge suitcases of hold luggage totalling 160 kgs, four flight bags totalling 28kgs and two young, jet lagged children hyper at the thought of going to disneyland... not to mention the DH... not to mention the mood I'll be in... might just still try to pack light and send most in container. We plan to suffer here by sending the container early so that it arrives within a couple of weeks of us. But we all know what happens to best laid plans....

I know there are expensive charges for being over the baggage allowance, but does anyone know if you can just book extra baggage onto a flight and roughly how much that is?

We will e-mail our chosen airline when we finally get to book flights to see if they'll give us a bit more on a one-way flight, but we are only taking our personal effects anyway, not any furniture, so I'm wondering how much we could take with us if we just took more suitcases!...Has anyone tried this?

I know there are expensive charges for being over the baggage allowance, but does anyone know if you can just book extra baggage onto a flight and roughly how much that is?

We will e-mail our chosen airline when we finally get to book flights to see if they'll give us a bit more on a one-way flight, but we are only taking our personal effects anyway, not any furniture, so I'm wondering how much we could take with us if we just took more suitcases!...Has anyone tried this?

Your best bet is to use a shipping company for this sort of thing I'd reckon. Not take it as baggage. If you are flying Singapore Airlines then excess is charged

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/baggage-excess/

If you look for threads on here about shipping personal effects you'll turn up some info on shipping companies.

hi we are flying 2nd feb from dublin to perth. our first flight is with are lingus to heathrow & form then to perth with singapore airlines? we are on a 457 visa. what is our baggae allowance going to be..I see I think 20KG per person ( we re lfying with 2 small children) ..could we get extra with our 457 visa

I doubt Aer Lingus will honour a 40kg baggage allowance. Its a stand alone flight I'd think. So even if SA did allow it, you'd get well and truly stung for excess on Aer Lingus as they are a pretty budget airline these days and luggage usually costs.

hi we are flying 2nd feb from dublin to perth. our first flight is with are lingus to heathrow & form then to perth with singapore airlines? we are on a 457 visa. what is our baggae allowance going to be..I see I think 20KG per person ( we re lfying with 2 small children) ..could we get extra with our 457 visa

Is 457 a Temp visa? If so, its only Perm. unvalidated visas that count for the extra baggage, so even if you could get double (or pay for double) with Air Lingus (unfortunately I don't think you would get it without paying) if your visa isn't a Perm. type, Singapore won't give you the double anyways :(

Guest chrisgray

Does anyone know what the allowance are for golf clubs? I'm flying out in March on the 457 visa and obviously want to take as much as i can. It looks like Singapore airlines is prob going to be the best deal for us. I thought it was 32kg per person, hand luggage and laptop!?!

Thanks

Chris

Guest jimmyoz

Can you take anything as baggage.

We have the 40 kg allowance so thats 200kg between 5 of us. Could i take 2 tool boxes with tools in, 1 is 9kg and the other 13kg.

Thanks

Does anyone know what the allowance are for golf clubs? I'm flying out in March on the 457 visa and obviously want to take as much as i can. It looks like Singapore airlines is prob going to be the best deal for us. I thought it was 32kg per person, hand luggage and laptop!?!

Thanks

Chris

Check Singapore Airlines website for golf club info. Its all there on that page.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/baggage-outsize/

The double allowance is for permanent unvalidated visas only. Then its 40kg per person. If that isn't your visa type then its the standard, whatever that is for SA.

You are confusing the 32kg with the maximum weight for any one single bag. No bag can exceed that, but that does not mean that is the standard allowance. It is far less, 20kg which can be read here http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/baggage-allowances/

The 32kg rule applies for those who can take extra allowance and therefore more than one piece of checked in luggage. Its set at 32kg for H&S etc.

Hand luggage iirc is 7kg total, but again, read the info on their website.

Hope that makes sense.