Double baggage allowance Singapore airlines

Guest china

> Thank you for your email.

>

> Please be advised, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently, you will then be entitled to the double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger).

>

> The double baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

>

> You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

>

> The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

> No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

>

> If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

>

> Yours Sincerely,

Hi all,

Yesterday I emailed Singapore airlines to double check that we will get 40kg of baggage allowance when we fly to oz.

We just bought a regular one way ticket, we bought it online.

I also spoke to them yesterday - to request this email confirmation, and they said I didn't even need the email, that the check in staff would automatically grant the extra on seeing the visa, but it is nice to have something to wave under their noses just in case!

Anyway I just thought I would pop their reply in here, for all to see. X

>

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest36187

We werent permitted any extra on our 457 - we flew air new zealand back in `05. However they charged `by the bag` for the extra and not `by the kilo`

I also got that email, then i got an email from them asking me to send a copy of my visa approval we are going on a 176 so i emailed that through to them and got this email off them yesterday,has anyone else had to pay this?

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please note that you are eligible for the 'Migrant Baggage Allowance' of 40 kilos per person. For the authorization to be updated on your electronic ticket a reissue fee of EUR 35.00 will be applicable and in order to confirm the changes we request you to contact our local reservations office directly at 0844 800 2380 (24 hour service, operated 7 days a week) for further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

That doesn't sound right at all! When I spoke to them they said you will automatically get the baggage allowance if you have the right visa etc. I would just print out the first email and ignore the second one :-)

Guest Guest31881
I also got that email, then i got an email from them asking me to send a copy of my visa approval we are going on a 176 so i emailed that through to them and got this email off them yesterday,has anyone else had to pay this?

Please note that you are eligible for the 'Migrant Baggage Allowance' of 40 kilos per person. For the authorization to be updated on your electronic ticket a reissue fee of EUR 35.00 will be applicable and in order to confirm the changes we request you to contact our local reservations office directly at 0844 800 2380 (24 hour service, operated 7 days a week) for further assistance.

That’s very strange.. Never known that happen before.. are you flying from the UK, and are you on Singapore airlines all the way through. My train of thought is that if another carrier is involved, (for example first leg of journey) there may have to be a payment made to them. Other than that I am at a complete loss with this one.

So i guess im in the same boat as you,im connecting in london with singapore air from dublin with BMI.Guess i should have done my homework on this one.Derek.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trigger

Confused' all our paper work has been sent electronically, so there is nothing attached to our passports, we have visa grant notices, which has the visa grant number on, so is this what will be required at checkin to get the extra baggage allowance?

Rich and Jo

I am going to email Quantas as that who we are going with in 6 weeks.....my hubbys company have just booked us on a normal ticket and we only have 23 kilo's. Does anyone know any experience of asking Quantas at check in or via email for an increased baggage allowance ??

Hi there, They say you need to have an 'unstamped' visa so if you can I would try to get your visa evidenced - it is very easy and costs nothing. You just go to Australia House and they do it for you, or if you are not in London you can post it with a prepaid addresses special delivery envelope and I believe it takes about a week.You may get the double allowance without a physical visa, but you may end up with a snotty person who makes things difficult. Good luck :-)

Confused' all our paper work has been sent electronically, so there is nothing attached to our passports, we have visa grant notices, which has the visa grant number on, so is this what will be required at checkin to get the extra baggage allowance?Rich and Jo

We did this, when you check in show them a copy of your visa grant letter it's all electronic just make sure no single case is over 32 kg. we were about 5 kg over this was no problem either also if you have a laptop take this on separate to your hand luggage aswell. We rammed ours with extra bits aswell. They are pretty good with it we flew from Manchester btw.

Loving Fremantle!

Guest Lesley Bridge

Hi

I have a 457 visa and leaving on the 22nd Jan (just booked online today with Singapore Airlines too). I have an electronic visa so nothing in writing so my question is will they be able to see that at checkin to get the extra baggage allowance.

any help gratefully received.

L

Hi

I have a 457 visa and leaving on the 22nd Jan (just booked online today with Singapore Airlines too). I have an electronic visa so nothing in writing so my question is will they be able to see that at checkin to get the extra baggage allowance.

any help gratefully received.

L

457 is not a permanent visa, so no extra baggage allowance from singapore airlines. Sorry.

Hi, We flew out to Oz on the 2nd December with Singapore airlines on a 176 visa & got the 40kg allowance. The other plus was that we stayed in singapore for 2 days on the way & on arrival could check all our luggagge in at singapore aiport so we didnt have to take all of cases to the hotel. That would of been a headache as there was 4 of us so 8 cases in total. So we just had some changes of clothes in our hand luggage & were able to travel light to the hotel, & enjoy our time in Singapore.

We just booked with Singapore airlines,flying out 30th Jan on a 457

No way 20k enough so I spoke to them and they have upped it to 25 each plus 7 each hand luggage.

There are 5 of us going and with almost 20st combined allowance its enough,we get the buggy checked in free going to phone a.d see about travel cot tho!

Guest ngh007
Hi, We flew out to Oz on the 2nd December with Singapore airlines on a 176 visa & got the 40kg allowance. The other plus was that we stayed in singapore for 2 days on the way & on arrival could check all our luggagge in at singapore aiport so we didnt have to take all of cases to the hotel. That would of been a headache as there was 4 of us so 8 cases in total. So we just had some changes of clothes in our hand luggage & were able to travel light to the hotel, & enjoy our time in Singapore.

Hey Stuart, how did you get the 40kg allowance? this is the correspondence I have with them - Im close to giving up with them! I asked them, they said nope, I asked them to re-confirm, and still got a nope!! see below (read email from bottom up)

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

The general policy for check-in baggage allowance is 20kilos for economy class and 7kilos for the cabin luggage. The dimensions of the cabin luggage should not exceed 115cm when you add the length, width and height. If you exceed your ticketed free allowance you will be charged the standard excess baggage rates.

Regretfully, we are not in a position to authorise excess baggage at no extra cost.

Any extra baggage allowance given over the 20kilos will be at the discretion of the airport check-in staff.

Hope this information helps.

Yours Sincerely,

Khalid Khan

SIA New Zealand

"Document Classification - RESTRICTED"

For further information or clarification please call our Reservations Centre direct. If within New Zealand, please call 0800 808 909 (24 hour service, operated 7 days a week).

If in another country, please visit www.singaporeair.com.sg to obtain a local contact number.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have been advised by our travel agent that a permanent transfer has more baggage allowance - 40 kgs or so. Is that incorrect?

Regards

On Jan 1, 2012 8:05 PM, <NZ_Reservations@singaporeair.com.sg> wrote:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email.

The checked baggage allowance for adults and infants above 2 years will be 20 kilos with a hand carry of 1 piece not exceeding 7 kilos on Economy Class. We request you to kindly call our local reservations office after making reservation and we will assist you.

Yours Sincerely,

Sreeram. R. G

SIA New Zealand

Guest Guest31881

I think you will find the allowance is for travellers from the UK, dealing with the UK office of Singapore Airways. Travelling from New Zealand will be a different proposition dealing with a different office.

Guest mum2four

Thank you so much for posting this information.

we were going to fly with quantas to australia but we have now decided to fly with singapore airlines as we will receive an extra 60kg of luggage free of charge. I called Quantas to see if they offer a similar service but was told that I would have to pay an extra $175 AU dollars for 5kg extra allowance or buy a flight ticket that cost £170 for an extra 20kg!

Hey - I know that the stated excess baggage allowance is for an unstamped visa - however has anyone had any experience after they have activated their visa?

We need to go on holiday this coming August to activate our visa, but then will probably be leaving permanently on a one-way ticket the following summer - this means our visa will have been stamped - does anyone know if singapore airlines make any exceptions for such a situation?