This feels right..

Guest brummie39

Guest brummie39

Hi all..

Just a quick update in our progress of moving back to u.k..

We arrived on 1st of oct.. Couldn't believe the sunshine was still showing face.. Yes actually t-shirt weather in oct.. Loved it.

Stayed with family for 6 weeks, while searching for house. This was a little problem. Most agencies want rental history of last 6 months at least. As we lived in oz for 12, we didn't have proof from uk. With a lot of searching and putting our story forward, one took a chance on us.

Hubby has job, although with agency ( this was a problem with renting too), he has some prospect in his position. We don't think it's all doom and gloom, that everyone is saying in the media. Hubby has had 3 jobs with different agencies in 6 weeks. It's what you put into it, to what you receive.

The only problem we have had is school for our boy. System has changed in the short time we were away. You now have to apply through council for any vacant positions. We were offered 1 space, unfortunately the of stead report for this school was very bad. So we began our own search according to these reports and our own inspections.

6 weeks in, still waiting. We have found an amazing school with excellent reports. But because this lays in another council, the process and line of communication is stretched out more. So long story kinda short, we hope to have him in next week, that's 8 weeks after arriving. I guess we could have looked sooner, but until we found a perm address, no school would temp educate him.

On a great high at moment, just been told this morning our container is being delivered to us Friday.... Whoop whoop:biglaugh: It's been a long 8 weeks.. Think I will kiss my stuff and promise to never leave it again...

We have camped out in new house with blow up beds and deck chairs.. Not much fun after a while, but well worth it for end result.

As for the u.k itself.. I love it.. The greenness.. Countryside.. Pubs for Sunday dinner... Greggs.. And the cheapness of it all compared to oz.. There's to much to mention really.. We don't regret coming back.. It's been a bit of a slow start, but we are surviving ..

I love walking around the shops, people watching with a costa coffee.. And just love the Christmas buzz to it all. Christmas here is amazing..

So I guess my short update is not so short.. So much to say, but don't want to bore you all...

To all those doing or thinking of coming back.. All the best.. It's not as bad as the media say, but there are changes.

Guest The Pom Queen

Wow thanks for the update, it's so good to hear that you are so happy.

It will seem like Christmas unpacking all your boxes.

The school system sounds a nightmare but fingers crossed that you get there in the end.

Kate

Guest brummie39

Thanks Kate.. Yes schooling is a pain, they said it's so they keep track of where children are in the u.k.. Kinda big brother, but I see there point. Never mind it's like summer Hols for our son again, just a bit colder.. xx

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks Kate.. Yes schooling is a pain, they said it's so they keep track of where children are in the u.k.. Kinda big brother, but I see there point. Never mind it's like summer Hols for our son again, just a bit colder.. xx

LOL let's hope you get a white Christmas, how perfect that would be, it's the only thing I really miss.

As for the u.k itself.. I love it.. The greenness.. Countryside.. Pubs for Sunday dinner... Greggs............................................

Read through your post I thought Gee that is great you are enjoying being home again until I got to the Greggs part! Australia must be really bad if lists Greggs as something you love and have clearly missed!

As far as I'm concerned Greggs should be a reason for Australia to grant Asylum :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Guest brummie39
Read through your post I thought Gee that is great you are enjoying being home again until I got to the Greggs part! Australia must be really bad if lists Greggs as something you love and have clearly missed!

As far as I'm concerned Greggs should be a reason for Australia to grant Asylum :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Asylum.. Really... We did miss our stake bakes.. That's all, nothing big, but when you take that first bite after so long.. It's comforting..

I'm the Aussie in the relationship, and it was me who missed it. Not to mention the proper curries... :jiggy:

Asylum.. Really... We did miss our stake bakes.. That's all, nothing big, but when you take that first bite after so long.. It's comforting..

I'm the Aussie in the relationship, and it was me who missed it. Not to mention the proper curries... :jiggy:

Stop Stop please no more, I'm starting to doubt our decision to move to OZ!

Good to hear that things are falling into place for you!

October was wonderful wasnt it - I had a girls lunch out with the d-i-l and grandkids before they left and we were outside in t shirts in the sunshine on 25 October! Amazing! My DH has been enjoying himself in the garden here and bemoaning the fact that he didnt bring his work shorts because he thought it would be too cold. So he bought some long trousers for digging and they are too hot as well!

At least UK schools keep an eye on kids' education which is a big plus in my book - no one could give a toss in ACT if a kid was in school or not, we did away with truant officers 25 years ago and the system couldnt get a kid into school if a parent couldnt be bothered sending them. So fingers crossed you get the school thing sorted soon!

So glad to hear to you are not regreting going home brummie39, I have only been in Oz 3 months and regret that day I set foot in Oz, after 18 months of waiting since succesfully getting a job on the railways in WA I would hear nothing bad about Australia, convinced the UK was doomed, now I am in Oz I realise the UK is better, as Australia is so expensive although my job hear is considered well paid we are stuggling to survive here as the cost of living is so high, no cheap Greggs or cheap anything for that matter, the food is awful unless you like red meat and bbq's everyday. We will never be able to afford our own home here and will be returning to the UK ASAP and just put the whole episode down to experience, I fail to see the attraction, sure it's sunny but the sun is too fierce to enjoy!

Guest brummie39
So glad to hear to you are not regreting going home brummie39, I have only been in Oz 3 months and regret that day I set foot in Oz, after 18 months of waiting since succesfully getting a job on the railways in WA I would hear nothing bad about Australia, convinced the UK was doomed, now I am in Oz I realise the UK is better, as Australia is so expensive although my job hear is considered well paid we are stuggling to survive here as the cost of living is so high, no cheap Greggs or cheap anything for that matter, the food is awful unless you like red meat and bbq's everyday. We will never be able to afford our own home here and will be returning to the UK ASAP and just put the whole episode down to experience, I fail to see the attraction, sure it's sunny but the sun is too fierce to enjoy!

Hi alandee..

I understand exactly how you are feeling.. Apart from our son not settling.. What you have just mentioned, is what got to us.

We couldn't afford anything, no weekends out, food in general.. It got me down trying to shop for my family on limited money. As for housing, it wasn't even a dream for us, just plain out of the question. So really we saw no hope for the near future.

The uk is so cheap for food, loving the fact I can go out with £50 and feed my family for days. Housing we think is more affordable, our rent here is just over half of what we paid in oz.

We put it down to experience and empty bank account.. Would of always said "what if" if we didn't try. I know (being Aussie) that oz is not where i want to live.. It will always be home, but not to live.

I wish you a safe journey home, and all the best for settling back in.. To us it was so right..

Guest brummie39
Do it, or you'll regret never doing it. I'm worried that we'll get stuck here and I'm always dropping hints to my wife about going back to the UK. Time will tell.

Good luck chris.. It's awful to feel stuck.. I wish you a speedy return home..

Good luck chris.. It's awful to feel stuck.. I wish you a speedy return home..

Thanks.

We're about to give birth to our second child and in my heart of hearts I'm aiming for 2 years time (end of 2013) to return. Looks like Mum and Dad are coming to visit next Christmas so I'm aiming for Christmas 2013. I'm lucky in a sense that my current employer is a huge, global organisation where employees can and do regularly move offices not only within Australia but globally, many of whom go to the London office. In a perfect world I'll get a transfer with them in 2 years. My wife has always said that she is willing and happy to go back to the UK but not immediately. I'm just hoping she never changes her mind.

Thanks.

We're about to give birth to our second child and in my heart of hearts I'm aiming for 2 years time (end of 2013) to return. Looks like Mum and Dad are coming to visit next Christmas so I'm aiming for Christmas 2013. I'm lucky in a sense that my current employer is a huge, global organisation where employees can and do regularly move offices not only within Australia but globally, many of whom go to the London office. In a perfect world I'll get a transfer with them in 2 years. My wife has always said that she is willing and happy to go back to the UK but not immediately. I'm just hoping she never changes her mind.

Hi Chris in Bris. If you are working for a global company that can move you anywhere why dont you try somewhere else in OZ before leaping back to the UK,especially as you have plans to stay here till the end of 2013 anyway? As someone who lived in Adelaide for over twenty years and has just returned from the UK after four and am now living in Brisbane I can tell you that every city here is soooo diffrent. I never really thought about it much while I lived here before and just assumed that most citys would be very similar only bigger or busier but I was so wrong. I had never been to Brisbane and can honestly say that if feels like a totally different country never mind different state!! I like it but its nothing like what I imagined and its a big country out there with so many possibilitys. We have had an offer to good to refuse and are now moving to Melbourne so yet another experience but I think its a little more like Im used to in some ways so hopefully the transition wont be as hard. By the time you return to the Uk you will be more used to the way of life here than you think and you will have an adjustment period anyway, so why not do it now and give somewhere else a chance.

Hi Chris in Bris. If you are working for a global company that can move you anywhere why dont you try somewhere else in OZ before leaping back to the UK,especially as you have plans to stay here till the end of 2013 anyway? As someone who lived in Adelaide for over twenty years and has just returned from the UK after four and am now living in Brisbane I can tell you that every city here is soooo diffrent. I never really thought about it much while I lived here before and just assumed that most citys would be very similar only bigger or busier but I was so wrong. I had never been to Brisbane and can honestly say that if feels like a totally different country never mind different state!! I like it but its nothing like what I imagined and its a big country out there with so many possibilitys. We have had an offer to good to refuse and are now moving to Melbourne so yet another experience but I think its a little more like Im used to in some ways so hopefully the transition wont be as hard. By the time you return to the Uk you will be more used to the way of life here than you think and you will have an adjustment period anyway, so why not do it now and give somewhere else a chance.

Thanks Boomerang. It is something that we've been considering as well and luckily is an option for us as my employer has an office in every major state capital city. Melbourne, Sydney and Hobart are my preferred ones. But my aim would, and always will be, the UK

Guest hutch78

Could not agree with you more Alandeej we will be returning home as soon as possible to, bloody hate the place, you can moan about britain all you want but its heaven compared to OZ!!