457 Visa Offered: Real Concerns

ukdcsengineer

Hi Guys,

I have been offered a 457 visa by a company in Brisbane, but after reading a number posts i am concerned as i have a young son and i also believed i was going to be offered a permanent residency visa. I have a number of concerns as to whether i should accept the offer or maybe try and persuade the company to offer a different type of visa? I have copied the wording of the visa offered: :confused:

"[Company] agrees to sponsor your visa, being a Temporary Business (Long Stay) – Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457), to a period of four (4) years."

My main concerns are: (I am 44 yrs old, married and my occupation is an Engineer)

1. How difficult is it to obtain PR after arriving on this visa?
  2. My son who has asthma might require medical treatment when here, would the treatment be free with this type of visa?
  3. What would be my options should my employment with the sponsoring company not work out as i have heard a couple of horror stories?
  4. What are the main differences between PR and 457?
  5. I have been offered $115,000 pa: could anyone advise if this is an amount that would afford myself and my family a decent living in Brisbane as my wife would probably not be able to work due to us having a young son?

Many thanks,

Brian and family

user_online.gifreputation.gif infraction.gif report.gif ip.gif edit.gif quote.gif multiquote_off.gif

Guest atticus

Hi - I'm in engineer on a 457 in Brisbane with a young family. First of all a lot of organisations do the 457 route when bringing employees in. Most of my colleagues and friends are on this. Its quick and relatively easy, as long as you are working for a reputable company its no different to doing a transfer to another country. There is also some degree of risk but if they are not doing a PR to start with then thats all you have to work with. I know a lot of people who are getting sponsorship for PR after a couple of years and that seems to work fine. You may hit the 45 year limit as I have but there are exemptions.

I have had a friend leave here after a few mths and transfer his 457 to another employer. Its easily done.

On a 457 you have to get medical insurance. Luckily my employer supplies this. However, Medicare has a reciprocal arrangement with the NHS for anything that is medically neccassary. We have had no problem on medical issues and have even been offerred child development services for free under Medicare. you pay more for doctors visits, prescriptions etc but then you don't pay NI - swings and roundabouts.

PR gives you access to a number of state benefits but then 457 gives you LAFHA - works out pretty similar money wise in the end.

$115K is equivalent to about GBP50K - you could do Ok with that in Brisbane especially if your employer offers LAFHA (ask - it doesn't cost them any extra)

cheers

A 457 is a quick way of getting you over - it may be that if they don't want to offer a perm visa straight away could you get them to say they would commit to supporting you by nominating you in going for a 856 visa after 2 years?

on a 457 if you are from the uk you are covered by what is known as a reciprocal agreement- I was on a 457 and was able to get medicare support for my asthma related inhalers-but you should know that no medical treatment in oz is free- unless you can take out insurance you get charged and some of it is refunded by medicare! You are tied to your sponsoring employer on a 457 and it only lasts as long as your employment if the job ends or you leave then you have just 28 days to leave or find another sponsor! with a perm visa you have the right to work for whom you wish and have more rights. it is worth researching the differences.

If you have been hired (or provisionally hired) by an Aussie company who wants to bring you over, then the 457 is the norm as this visa is processed in weeks rather than months or years, so don't be put off necessarily because of that, in fact that's the reason the visa exists. It would be highly unusual for an Aussie company to sponsor you for a PR visa, and put up with the wait that would entail, without you even having proved yourself working for them

So I think the subclass is OK, and the money is probably OK too. You do need to talk to your potential employer about medical insurance and LAFHA and ask what they offer in regard to these two points

Guest guest36187

Medical insurance is a must - we are with BUPA/HBA. For two of us it costs us $303 per month. Medicare has a recipricol aggreement but private health is great. My OH just had a double hernia repair (with complications) and the care he got in The Wesley was fantastic.

You are tied to your employer on a 457 and have to work Full Time. You can change employers but have to transfer your 457 visa.

LAFHA is something that is not always given. I am a nurse (who was on a 457) and I didnt get it. Its up to the employer. If your skills can get you a PR apply as soon as you can. My company sponsored me after 18 months as I had shown commitment to them. Im still there and an Aussie now!

Good Luck

Guys,

Many thanks for all your posts, much appreciated. I had no idea about LAFHA so will ask the company, the Medicare option i was definitely going to enquire about. They seem a decent company as i guy i worked with in the UK (an Aussie) currently works for the same company offering to sponsor me! If it was just me i wouldn't hesitate as i have worked in some of the most hostile countries in the World, but with having a young son i have to consider him before anything else and probably like everyone else thinking of moving half way round the globe its a worrying decision. Also without knowing the area, while $115, 000 seems alot it means didily squat as its the cost of living in the specific location you will be resident in that's important and unless you can ask someone who lives there you never really know.

It looks like i will be in in Brisbane end of Feb 2012, really excited as its the place i have wanted to be for such a long time and i think my son who loves the water will be happiest.

Brian and family.

Another option would be to go over on 457, then apply for GSM PR visa 175 or 176SS before you turn 45. (you can apply after 45 but dont get any points for your age).

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-outside.htm

What kind of engineer are you? You would need to get skills assessed, but if your degree is under Washington Accord would have assessment back in a few weeks. You might need to do the IELTS for extra points. And alos pass the points test of 65.

Queensland only sponser a few occupations of engineers - if you were able to get SS with them (or any of the States) you could potentially have PR quickly after lodging your application for 176SS, or apply for 175 no state sponsorship, and would take longer. http://203.210.126.185/dsdweb/v4/apps/web/secure/docs/4498.pdf

If you get PR through 176/175 visas, you are not tied to that employer. Also as these are offshore visas you would have to leave Australia for few days to get visa granted offshore, then return. Once granted the PR would over ride the 457.

My OH is Engineer and we had 176SS visa 6 weeks after lodging to DIAC. So you could get PR faster than waiting for Employer Sponsored, and possibaly not being eligible anymore due to your age.

If you were going down the GSM route, you should get your application in before 1 Jul 2012, before Expression of Interest and invitation to apply comes in to effect.

A few years ago I went out on a 457, to work for an employer I worked for during my WHV. It didnt work out - it was too hard to find another sponsor, so in less than a year I was back in the UK. Thats why I wouldnt go back on 457.

Maybe you should speak to an agent to see what your options are.

One of the problems i have had in trying to go down the PR route (via UK agents) related to my skills assessment in that i took a HND but not in engineering, but have worked as an engineer since i left uni and the engineering assessment body says you must have an engineering specific qualification to be considered for assessment!

I am a senior control system engineer and my current employer has offices throughout Australia so i am still actively pursuing that line of enquiry, but obviously due to my age i don't really want to pass up the chance of emigrating to Australia on a 457 because other options might not materialise.

This though is my real worry, UK agents i have been dealing with don't seem that clued up and the regulations are changing frequently, i have friends in Perth and they are saying they are crying out for engineers and with current changes i should be able to get PR, but again UK agents seem behind the current changes and their impacts and with me approaching 45 time and options are running out.

My concerns about 457 still remain in that i could find myself out of a job if things don't work out plus be lumbered with having to repay relocation contributions from the sponsoring company and reversely if things do work out i might still not get PR!

Maybe you should speak to an agent to see what your options are.

I'm not knocking this post, because as ever from this poster, it's an excellent, helpful and informative one

I am merely posting to highlight something I've found that's common on this forum; many posts seem to be written from a point of view that the endgame everyone is seeking is permanent migration to Australia.

Many of us aren't; we are going to Australia with our current employer, or we are going to Australia because an Aussie company has offered us a job we want to do. In such cases, the 457 is usually the only realistic option.

It does have drawbacks, particularly for those whose goal is to migrate permanently to Oz. But if your goal is merely to work for Company X, it doesn't. Realistically even if you talk to an agent, if a company has offered you a job and wants to sponsor you for a 457 then that's likely to be your only option if you want to take up that job. Permanent migration is a different thing.

Just sayin'....and I know the OP mentioned PR in his first post, and in view of his age Lebourvellec is absolutely right to point out the options for PR, as the clock is ticking

Good luck in whatever you decide. Personally I'd come over on the 457 and then start working your PR options once you're here (if nothing else this will be a good opportunity to find out if living here long-term is for you)

My concerns about 457 still remain in that i could find myself out of a job if things don't work out plus be lumbered with having to repay relocation contributions from the sponsoring company and reversely if things do work out i might still not get PR!

I believe you're only liable for relocation costs if you leave of your own accord - if they terminate you, then you aren't. Think it's a condition of the sponsorship (but don't quote me)

On reading your last post, some of what I wrote in my last one has been superseded. I'd still be inclined to come over anyway though. The worst that can happen is you have to go back. If you still try and work the PR angle at home (as it seems you have) and don't get anywhere, it's quite likely you won't ever get here at all

That is very true, but our long term goal is PR as i would hate to see out my 4 years only to have to return to the UK. Based on what i have explained previously regarding skills assessment how hard would it be to migrate from 457 to PR?......i have heard that if i stay with the sponsoring company for 2 years i dont need the skills assessment, but again i am not sure whether this is true or not?

After 2 years, if you are still with the same employer they can sponsor you for Employer-Sponsored PR visa. I think it's subclass 856.

There are two potential catches:

a) As you'll be over 45, your sponsor will have to demonstrate how essential you are to his business (fine if you're getting on well with them, let's face it if they weren't prepared to do this, they wouldn't be prepared to sponsor you)

b) Your sponsor will probably put you on the hook to repay the sponsorhsip and visa costs if you leave within a certain time after they sponsor you for this visa

Example: My employer sponsors people after 2 years but requires them to stay a further 3 afterwards, or pay them back the visa costs. This is nothing to do with DIAC, it's just a contract between you and your employer. Once you've got the 856 you can go and work for someone else, you just might have to pay your first employer (or get your new employer to pay for it)

WA are definatly crying out for Engineers, we were at the Australia Expo on Wed in Aberdeen. MY Oh wanted to speak to a Oil & Gas Company. He has phone interview next week, near enough offered him a job on the spot, saying that they are exactly what they need and offering Lead Senior position. But want us to go in 1-3 months, I was more thinking 1 -3 years to move over.

If you wanted to change your position many big companies are 457 sponsors already and can be changed over relatively easily.

Maybe the 457 option then 856PR is the better option for you, as after 2 years working in Australia 1 year with sponsoring employer, you dont need to have skills assessed, and as a senior engineer the 45 years age prob wouldnt be a problem.

You could always contact EA to see what they say regarding skills assessment?

To be honest i am a very loyal person so for me stability is a massive issue and i would quite happily stay with a good company and have no interest in chasing the dollar as i value my family life. Based on what you have said I am going to ask the sponsoring company regarding their intentions after the 2 year period and see what they say. As far as i am concerned if a company paid for the 856 visa and i left then fairs fair i would expect to pay for the process if i instigated the separation. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Exactly, i am thinking due to the demand for engineers even if things didn't work out i am sure i could get another company to take over the sponsorship as i have a 6 people from my company in the UK who have emigrated to Perth so i am well placed to understand the demand for decent engineers.

What advise i would give to yourself and your husband is that from what my friends say.....opportunities are very good and pay is high but don't think its an easy ride as i understand the Aussies work harder than us but the benefits are far greater and by benefits i mean pay and lifestyle.

What advise i would give to yourself and your husband is that from what my friends say.....opportunities are very good and pay is high but don't think its an easy ride as i understand the Aussies work harder than us but the benefits are far greater and by benefits i mean pay and lifestyle.

I know on my 457 I was working 70-80 hrs a week in the outback of NT. Living in Perth should be alot easier. The company my husband is working at have offices in Perth, initally we were just going looking to get a transfer to the Australia office. But he is quite keen on working for this other company as they are an Operator. Fortunatly we have 5 years to make the move.