Logistics of short and long terms lets and schools

Guest HighPeakJulie

Guest HighPeakJulie

My husband flys to Perth on the 3rd Jan and has 10 nights booked in a hotel in central Perth. He's not sure what to do after this as short tem lets don't seem to be economical for 1, so he thought it would be best to look for flat share whilst he is in Perth.

Myself and the rest of the family will arrive later (March?) once Jon has a job or our house sells.

Given it will take a few months to get the furniture shipped I assume we will need to get a short term let then a long term let. The kids are 8 and 6 so will be in school when we are in the short term let - but I was hoping not to have to move them when we rent long term.

How did you get on with this? If we are booking the short term let only a month ahead of arriving what if we just end up settling where we can get a place to stay.

If by short term you mean a holiday rental then keep them out of school until you have something permanent - ie 12 months or more. No one is going to be bothered if they are not in school for a month or two while you find somewhere permanent.

I'd just check that time of year so you avoid the Easter rush for holiday lets and stuff. Not sure when Easter is next year. And then of course schools will be out for the Easter break. So if you arrived a bit before or after like Quoll said, it'd make sense to have them at home for a few weeks till you find your long term let in an area you like with a school you are happy with.

Guest Dolphin69

Firstly, short term lets are not that easy to obtain. Most landlords let properties for either 6 or 12 month periods. I would suggest your husband checks out gumtree.com.au as there are always people looking to flat share etc. In the meantime, prior to yourself and kids arriving, I would suggest your husband locates a longer term rental and if still waiting for your furniture etc to arrive, begs, borrow or checks out ebay for cheap 'bare basics' to get your through.

Hiya,

I am finding this subject one which is hard to get my head around too!

We are a little worried about how its gonna pan out.

We have rented a short term let, and am hoping to find a long term let in a similar area, so possibly we might hit it right, and maybe only have to have one school. If there is nothing available near the holiday let, then we will hold off school till the lng term let is secured.

Donna x

Archived