Alice springs

Guest Porsh

Hi All

Am moving to Alice Springs early January 2012 from United Kingdom, please i need information about the following:

Childcare - for a 18mnths old baby - and fees rate i need fulltime care as i will be working full time.

2. schools for a 10yr old -

3. accomodation rates around Gap road , i will be working in Alice springs hospital>

Please help am so worried now tried to google but no luck

Thank you

Porsh

Try asking your future employer, they might have some suggestions. All the schools should be listed on the education website and many may well have websites. Have a look on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au for rentals.

Maybe someone local may come on-line but don't think there are many from that neck of the woods.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My partner and I moved here 10 weeks ago.

I don't know much about childcare however if you look at www.realestate.com.au and type in Alice Springs, you should see the rental rates. It is quite expensive in Alice but if you keep looking you might find a good deal. Also once you get here have a look in the local paper - Australian Advocate. If you need any more help feel free to PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully the hospital should help with accomodation, my nighbour is a nurse who gets some of her rent paid, normal for the Nt. Rents for units go around 375 to 420, wages and allowances are quite a lot higher here to cover the higher rents etc. My wife is going back to full time work in the next few months, we are expecting to pay around 220 a week for childcare, if you are arriving on pr visa you should be able to claim nearly all this in june taxtime. There are waiting lists for childcare and small town networking is the way to go. Pm me your email and I will have my wife get in touch for a chat. Good luck

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old post, but for other readers the Gap is the worst possible place to live in Alice. I lived in Alice for five years and saw and experienced a lot of that town. Please please anybody reading this do not move into the Gap area.

There are plenty of nice suburbs in Alice Springs that will be a lot safer and lovely for you to live in. Wherever you live in Alice it will not take you more than 10 minutes to drive the hospital where you will be working. It's a great hospital and a lovely friendly staff, but the area is notorious for rapes,thefts,muggings and murders.

Archived