General Skilled Migration - the future

George Lombard

From my understanding of the new system, there really is no point to removing professions from the list as they will only invite as many as they need, at the top points rating. Unless they want to limit how many existing applications they will have to process in the interim.

Thanks

Nats

My logic tells me that they have to take redundant professions off the list. If they have for example no intention of granting accounting visas, but it's still on the SOL then people will do skills assessments, IELTS etc and apply for EOI, only to be told that they're not granting visas for this occupation anymore.... So they'll have people spending money on applying for a visa which they never intended to grant.

We have the same worries as you - 175 accounting and worried that we'll be bumped to cat 5! I would love to hear some other opinions...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the same worries as you - 175 accounting and worried that we'll be bumped to cat 5! I would love to hear some other opinions...

However, industry reports indicate that there is still a skills shortage if projected growth is achieved - to my understanding it's an issue with the quality of candidates ( perhaps seen as a soft study option, so easy to get in on). A higher pass mark for the category under the new system would ensure experienced candidates were selected.

But yes, very worrying.

When did you apply? Might it be worth while doing your meds and pcc in April to front end load? We submitted end of August 2011, so hoping to get a CO in April... Which would hopefully see us processed before July changes... If we go ahead on the medicals. I had thought that once a CO was assigned you were okay, and would be processed regardless... But other forum members seem to think otherwise.

It just seems a huge risk to delay.

Nats

I think that if you have a “flagged” occupation and you want to apply for a 175, it may be better to apply using another occupation if you can and if it’s not too much hassle to get another skills assessment done. I know the ICAA is quite happy to issue a new skills assessment for most CAs in any GAA aligned country (which includes South Africa). For example, you could nominate External Auditor. Remember, that regardless of which occupation you nominate to apply for your visa, you need to prove that you have worked in any occupation on the list (so you could nominate external auditor, even if you’ve worked as an accountant and vice versa).

Personally I think there’s a 50/50 chance that Accountant will drop off the list. If it stays on then I expect that it will have more difficult requirements to use it (for example, Accountant but only if CA qualified or with more than X number of years of experience, higher IELTS requirements, etc).

Either way, if you can, try get sponsored via a state... that way even if accountant is removed, you won’t drop to category 5.

Heidm, I don’t think you need to worry in your case – you applied in early November 2011 so I am sure based on current timelines that your 175 will be granted before the changes on 1 July anyway :)

George

I have been reading your thread with great interest and worry.

We are over here on a Student Visa and I am currently on the Gold Coast studying Carpentry at the Ashmore TAFE.

The course started in July 2011 and I'll have my Cert III in July 2013.

It is then my intention to apply for a Bridging Visa and eventually permanent residency.

With reference to the list of flagged occupations, where would I stand if Carpentry came off the skilled list.

Regards

High scoring July Eoi will be invited to apply in August, so it does appear that they will jump the queue a bit.

However there is no guarantee that they will be invited.

Nats

Guest Frankie79

Thanks for this, my husband has a 262113 but currently no chance of a visa due to the qualification aspect (RPL) and the new points system. By the looks of it that chance is not going to increase any. Just 2 and a half years of our lives wasted :o(

Hi George,

Just curious, if one has granted class 175 visa but yet to enter Australia by the initial entry date stated, will his visa be revoked if his partner's partner visa application is lodged and rejected during this period?

Thank you for your time. :)

Hi,

I understand that If my occupation is removed from SOL 2012 , I will be pushed into priority 5 (category 5), is this true for both 175 and 176 (state sponsored application) ?

I've applied for 175 already and my occupation "Systems Analyst" is in flagged list. I'm thinking of placing one more application for 176 (state sponsored), I have few questions regarding this.

1. I understand that I cannot do two simultaneous online application for both 175 and 176. As my 175 is online, I should do 176 paper based. Please validate my understanding.

2. If my point# 1 is true, do I have enough time/ is it possible to secure SS (victoria) and do medical and PCC and lodge 176 application and get visa grant approved before July 2012? (I already have ACS and IELTS done).

3. What will happen that if I get SS sponsorship and apply for 176 and CO is assigned and then before CO grants visa, if my occoupation is removed from SOL, still I will fall in Category 5

I highly appreciate response for my queries...

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I understand that If my occupation is removed from SOL 2012 , I will be pushed into priority 5 (category 5), is this true for both 175 and 176 (state sponsored application) ?

I've applied for 175 already and my occupation "Systems Analyst" is in flagged list. I'm thinking of placing one more application for 176 (state sponsored), I have few questions regarding this.

1. I understand that I cannot do two simultaneous online application for both 175 and 176. As my 175 is online, I should do 176 paper based. Please validate my understanding.

2. If my point# 1 is true, do I have enough time/ is it possible to secure SS (victoria) and do medical and PCC and lodge 176 application and get visa grant approved before July 2012? (I already have ACS and IELTS done).

3. What will happen that if I get SS sponsorship and apply for 176 and CO is assigned and then before CO grants visa, if my occoupation is removed from SOL, still I will fall in Category 5

I highly appreciate response for my queries...

Thanks in advance

I have the same concerns as above. Can anyone shed some light?

Our agent told us we could apply for both 176SS and 175 simultaneously, but if 176 is granted they may decide to chuck the 175 since we would already have PR on 176.

I have no idea how long SS takes, but I assume it will be listed on each SMP. Then after you get SS approval it seems to take 4 weeks to CO... no idea how long to visa grant.

From what I've read on the Cat 5 thread, even if you have been allocated a CO before change in SOL if your occupation is removed before visa grant you get chucked to Cat 5....

My normal disclaimer: I'm not a pro, done lots of reading, but this is my opinion only not stated as fact and I may be wrong....

Our agent told us we could apply for both 176SS and 175 simultaneously, but if 176 is granted they may decide to chuck the 175 since we would already have PR on 176.

I have no idea how long SS takes, but I assume it will be listed on each SMP. Then after you get SS approval it seems to take 4 weeks to CO... no idea how long to visa grant.

From what I've read on the Cat 5 thread, even if you have been allocated a CO before change in SOL if your occupation is removed before visa grant you get chucked to Cat 5....

My normal disclaimer: I'm not a pro, done lots of reading, but this is my opinion only not stated as fact and I may be wrong....

Hi heidim,

Does that mean, it doesn't matter if it is a 176 or 175, if the occupation is dropped from SOL before the visa is granted then one gets chucked to Cat 5?

Any idea when they may announce the new SOL for 2012-2013?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bangalg

I have a +ve ACS Assessment for Business Analyst. Regarding English, I have an 8 overall but not an 8 in each module (have got 7.5 in Writing) and hence have written the exam again and waiting for the Results.

I am now thinking of applying for VIC SS. My question is, can I apply for SS even before I get an 8 in each module in IELTS (only after that I will get 65)? Will Victoria expect me to have 65 probable points even when I apply for SS? Without an 8, I will end up having only 55 and if I include SS, I will get only 60 probable points. So I have to wait for my results and hope for an 8 in each in order to get 65+.

Should I mandatorily wait for 8 in each in IELTS before I apply for SS? Is it possible that VIC will reject me as I won't be getting 65 at the time I apply for SS?

Guest bangalg
@

@Alanlisa and others - bear in mind that the changes will only affect those who haven't lodged by 1 July next year.

Cheers,

George Lombard

hi George,

Are you quite sure that if I lodged 175 in say march this year and if, as of July 2012 it is still "in process" and the new rules are announced (occupTion goes off list and Eli is introduced), I will still be processed under old rules? Currently I have acs assessment and also waiting for ielts results.

Guest The Pom Queen
hi George,

Are you quite sure that if I lodged 175 in say march this year and if, as of July 2012 it is still "in process" and the new rules are announced (occupTion goes off list and Eli is introduced), I will still be processed under old rules? Currently I have acs assessment and also waiting for ielts results.

This is what George has said and I find it rather insulting that you have to question him. He DOES know what he is talking about.

Panic !!!!! Under the current systems we don't get enough points for a PR so will be going down the 457 route, my husband is 46 and a glazier with over 20 years experience. How will the new changes effect us, if we had points for his age we would be ok. Also we are unable to go to go to Oz til next summer so unless a miracle happens I can't see a sponsor popping up. Really worried our dreams will be shattered.

Guest bennymangan

Hi,

I am Raj Indian National, working in Kuwait, as an Internal Auditor. I have 7 years experience in Internal Audit in Middle East.

My Basic Qualification is Bachelor In Commerce ( 3 years from India), and I have an additional certifications from United State of America a) Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) b) Certified Information System Auditor. (CISA). I would like to know that what is chance of to get positive vetassess asessment and PR to Australia.

Please guide me.

Thanks and Regards,

Raj

Hi George,

I am tired so forgive me if question sounds silly, as you saying above that there might! be a some issue that all the ICT professions are going to be taken off the list in July if so Does mean you could never get a skills assessment done in that profession. OH comes under Analysts programmer, 261311 or Developer programmer. 261312

thanks you

Does anyone know if accountants are being removed from the skilled occupation list? I have enquired with a visa agency over the phone and they confirmed I get 85 points but I havent lodged an application yet as the costs are huge, they want like 3000 euro for me and my partner. Alot of people have been telling me to save our money and go on a working holiday visa and find a sponsor that route it works out alot cheaper.