what where your expectations of oz,and what did you receive

Guest sh7t man no way

I find workmates and my friends far more chilled out in the UK compared to Oz, but give australians their fair due though they do have a great work ethic and do earn their money unlike some of the lazy buggeres I know in the UK.

Thats true about the work ethic ......but successive governments have created the scenario ,where you can sit on your ass ,watching your plasma ,getting paid for it .......them days are over .....or soon will be .

Us brits have lost our way since the end of ww2 ,and as a nation become very complaceant .

Its still in us though to climb back up the global ladder

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my first couple of years in Sydney I hung out with Poms - 'us' against the (Aussie) world, but looking back, I realize that was just a sort of defence mechanism as I was adjusting to life as a 'stranger in a strange land.'

I see 'new chums' still doing that here on PIO - arranging meet ups, trying to cope with exactly the same problems as I did, thirty years ago.

In some ways, it's easier for other nationalities as they can usually find a community to live amongst - Italians in Leichhardt for example.

I still do it in a way, meeting up with fellow Spurs fans to watch their games, but there are just as many Aussie fans there and you cannot tell us apart.

I find workmates and my friends far more chilled out in the UK compared to Oz, but give australians their fair due though they do have a great work ethic and do earn their money unlike some of the lazy buggeres I know in the UK.

You want to come and see Brisbane. Some of the most laziest people here - expect everything for nothing. Sure there are many who do work hard however it seems Brisbane has far too many of the laziest people I have ever met. Whether it be due to the large country-town mentality, who knows.

You want to come and see Brisbane. Some of the most laziest people here - expect everything for nothing. Sure there are many who do work hard however it seems Brisbane has far too many of the laziest people I have ever met. Whether it be due to the large country-town mentality, who knows.

Are these lazy people pommy migrants? Is it something in the water? too much sun? Why brisbane? Go on then..............I give up :goofy:

Are these lazy people pommy migrants? Is it something in the water? too much sun? Why brisbane? Go on then..............I give up :goofy:

It's just generalising, based on knowing one or two bludgers probably. Mind you, there is a lot of 'generalising' on PIO! 'I think that', i.e one person's opinion suddenly becomes undisputable facts!

what makes you so different?

Sometimes I am guilty of wanting an opinion to be fact as in 'I think Arsenal are rubbish' but in my heart I know it's just wishful thinking.

Usually, however, I try to base my opinions on facts. If someone said that Sydney rush hour traffic was awful, I'd have no problem with that BUT if they said that Sydney's rush hour is the worst in the world, well, that is just opinion and I'd want to refute it.

There are some on here who would like it to be 'Gospel' that the majority of Pommie migrants to OZ are disappointed and go home but that is just an opinion too.

Sometimes I am guilty of wanting an opinion to be fact as in 'I think Arsenal are rubbish' but in my heart I know it's just wishful thinking.

Usually, however, I try to base my opinions on facts. If someone said that Sydney rush hour traffic was awful, I'd have no problem with that BUT if they said that Sydney's rush hour is the worst in the world, well, that is just opinion and I'd want to refute it.

fair enough. we all generalise don't we, and what's so wrong with that?

There are some on here who would like it to be 'Gospel' that the majority of Pommie migrants to OZ are disappointed and go home but that is just an opinion too.

why does that bother you so much? Plus, I cannot ever recall seeing anyone post that "the majority of Pommie migrants to OZ are disappointed and go home", so you're exaggerating to make a point, no?

fair enough. we all generalise don't we, and what's so wrong with that?

why does that bother you so much? Plus, I cannot ever recall seeing anyone post that "the majority of Pommie migrants to OZ are disappointed and go home", so you're exaggerating to make a point, no?

I seem to remember a recent post entitled 'why are so many going back?' or words to that effect. If it's true, no problem but I am concerned that people who are already stressed out with the migration process, see something blatantly untrue and then worry even more about their decision to emigrate to OZ. I'd hate to think that even one person changed their mind as the result of adverse 'propaganda.'

I seem to remember a recent post entitled 'why are so many going back?' or words to that effect. If it's true, no problem but I am concerned that people who are already stressed out with the migration process, see something blatantly untrue and then worry even more about their decision to emigrate to OZ. I'd hate to think that even one person changed their mind as the result of adverse 'propaganda.'

that's very noble of you:wink:

perhaps the people who post such comments have a similarly noble intent of wanting potential migrants to come out here prepared...which means good and bad.

TBH I don't really see a problem with people posting wildly positive or negative stuff about UK or Oz. It's their opinion after all and they're entitled to it. This isn't a scientific journal where every statement needs to be referenced by the appropriate source.

It's real life and people are not only worrying about themselves, but also the welfare of their spouse and kids, so inevitably there will be a lot of emotive comments of all persuasions regarding the migration experience.

Amen

Of course people are entitled to their opinions but say something nasty like the comments above about people in Brisbane - 'noble comments?' - and someone in Brisbane is very likely to take umbrage, and they did. I would have felt the same way if they were comments about Sydney.

Nasty? I think you're reading too much into it

Pb.. err hes a guy not a girl

Did you get that job with Royal Mail, Stacey? I think I may have scored one working for Aussie Post via an agency, doing video coding, which I am pretty sure I did for Royal Mail a few years back.

I did the test a few weeks ago and thought they 'd forgotten about me but they rang yesterday whilst I was drinking coffee and reading the Sydney Morning Herald in the Dinki Di Cafe down Elizabeth St a bit.

I went down to the city a bit later to fill the forms out, Castlereagh St near Martin Place. Had an interesting walk around the City afterwards. I live about 2K from the city but I rarely go there and I was surprised how much seemed to have changed.

I'll find out if I have the job today and if so, will start on Monday, training first for a week, then about three weeks work out near Strathfield.

It'll be good to have some money to blow! I celebrated by buying a CD by M83, a French band I think.

Archived