what where your expectations of oz,and what did you receive

Guest sh7t man no way

Guest sh7t man no way

is this the reason people move back 2 the UK--there expectations where more than oz could give them--just wundered if oz wuz all it sold you--or is there other reasons for returning home:wideeyed:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can sort of relate to what you're saying whichway. Before we came out, for some bizarre reason I imagined us as a family going to church on Sundays with the in laws, you know, as a nice family thing to do........

I am as lapsed a catholic now as I was then (probably worse), AND they are Anglicans

wtf was I thinking? That my personality would suddenly change the moment I got off the plane?

'No Expectations', one of Brian Jones last major contributions to The Rolling Stones - thanks for making me think of that, the 'B' side of 'Street Fighting Man' too, arguably my equal fave Stones track with 'Jumping Jack Flash.'

I fell somewhere along the line between 'No Expectations' & 'Great Expectations!'

Guest guest36187

OH did heaps of research but he is very realistic in his ideals. I did none. I wanted no expectations so nothing could disappoint me! Worked for me!

Guest guest17301

I expected a better life and for many it is. I expected to spend a lot of time at the beach or just chilling out in my own garden or having picnics in sunny places...that bit was right. I expected it to be beautiful and it was.

Guest guest57588
I think I can sort of relate to what you're saying whichway. Before we came out, for some bizarre reason I imagined us as a family going to church on Sundays with the in laws, you know, as a nice family thing to do........

I am as lapsed a catholic now as I was then (probably worse), AND they are Anglicans

wtf was I thinking? That my personality would suddenly change the moment I got off the plane?

Me and Mrs TH have been giggling about this one all evening!. Had you been on the alter wine before you flew out or was it something stronger?!:biglaugh:

[/b]

Me and Mrs TH have been giggling about this one all evening!. Had you been on the alter wine before you flew out or was it something stronger?!:biglaugh:

Nothing wrong with dreams mate......:wubclub:

Alas, here I am, an overweight John Inman soundalike, my 'faith' in tatters...

Guest guest57588
Nothing wrong with dreams mate......:wubclub:

Alas, here I am, an overweight John Inman soundalike, my 'faith' in tatters...

"Are you free Mr Harpodom?!"

Guest guest57588
We all love our pussy round here don't you know young man?!

Well I loved Miss Brahms', before she became Pauline Fowler and got all sour-faced about Arfur spending too much time down the allotments :wink:

i want to change when i step off the plane, i know its going to be a struggle though.

i guess the only person who can change you; is you!

doesn't make it any easier though.

i hope the telly is sh!te, that will help a lot.

What is it you want to change? theres a few things i want to change too, nothing drastic. Just going to try be a bit more outgoing and less shy and maybe try be a bit more sporty, although im definitely not the beach volleyball type :laugh:

i heard the tellys crap unless you buy foxtel so we'll just need to stay away from that lol.

So back on track (hint hint) .... I expected it to be different, unfamiliar and to have to work hard to re-establish myself. I didn't think it would take me so long to make 'real friends' ... it's only now that I have a group who I know I could rely on and this year for the first time, I haven't felt 'people sick' when a special event/birthday comes around.

It's taken a couple of years for me Stacey, I think partly because the kids were older, so I didn't do the school run and didn't meet mums, having said that one of my best friends is someone who helped me out with information on another site. I had a small close circle of friends in the UK and now feel I have that here .... it does take time for some whilst others might make lasting friendships right away ... for me it was at birthdays when we would have all got together that I missed them ... I was find the day after the event

It's taken a couple of years for me Stacey, I think partly because the kids were older, so I didn't do the school run and didn't meet mums, having said that one of my best friends is someone who helped me out with information on another site. I had a small close circle of friends in the UK and now feel I have that here .... it does take time for some whilst others might make lasting friendships right away ... for me it was at birthdays when we would have all got together that I missed them ... I was find the day after the event

Cheers, i dont expect it to be easy, Im shy so im going to have to come out of my shell more over there to make friends! I dont stay shy for too long tho and im looking foward to making new friends even if it takes a while. I always wondered if its easier for people who have kids because as you say - theres the school runs, kids parties etc. I'll just have to join clubs etc plus theres here, always seems to be meetups

I think my expectations were close to the mark but my judgement on how easy it would be to establish myself was based on my experiences on my WHV (I stayed in the same place for 2 years - it was intentional). This time round, I've definitely had to be tougher mentally and become a lot more confident than ever before. It's a case of digging your heels in, being stubborn and determined and going after what you want. In a lot of ways though, I find its easier to do that here than in the UK.

It does take time to find your feet, get your confidence up and actually reach for the goals that were part of your expectations. I can honestly say I've achieved much more in the last 12 months than I would have dreamed possible.

I will become sportier...honest :laugh: