Cornish Pasty?

Natnats

No clue but they are really simple to make in bulk and freeze if you wanted to give it a try. If you want the proper traditional Cornish its beef, potato onion and swede with salt and pepper. Pastry wise they tend to use a shortcrust these days. Then if you want to be really particular it'll be the right shape and crimped along the side. Loads of good recipes online and how to make tips :)

lol. I've not had a decent Cornish pasty since I've been here so I've learned to make them myself and I think I've done a 'proper job' on em. I use puff pastry which works well and the best meat to get is beef skirt.

I haven't got around to making clotted cream but it seems easy enough.

• 1 month later...
There has been a big dispute (I say big, big in Kernow) over the use of Cornish Pasty name. Officially now you won't be able to get a Cornish Pasty as it has to be made/baked in Cornwall! Is there such thing as the Australian Pasty?!!

Not quite right in my understanding. That ruling is only valid in the EU/Europe and has been put in place for no end of foods. Italian cured meats, French and English cheeses, pork pies and more. It can't be applied in Aus, it's an EU ruling.

Yep I stand corrected!! It is an EU ruling although I know the Cornish Pasty Association have caused a stink about it in other countries including Australia. There was a fair bit of press on the topic in Cornwall before I moved to Wiltshire 18 months ago.

MillieMolly the Cornish Pasty Association have a recipe on their site!!

http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/pgi.html

Anywhere in Sydney you can get a decent Cornish pasty? It's one thing we'll miss from home!!!

You could try David Jones food department in CBD. They had Scottish mince pies and black pudding last week but to be honest.....looked like they had been frozen for months !!!!! Learn the trade, you could make a fortune out here ! There are so many Brits wanting traditional UK food. Only place I know in OZ who sells British food is Bob's The Butcher in Vic. :daydreaming:

My recipe is quite easy. Buy puff pastry - don't bother making it as its too much hassle. You can cut out the pasty shape using a plate but as the pastry sheets are square I just fold them in half so there is no waste. You need potato, swede and onion and beef skirt. THATS ALL - NO CARROT!

Cut the skirt into 1cm cubes. Finely slice the onion and slice the potato and swede like thick crisps then cut it into smaller chunks "chipping". I mix the whole lot together in a bowl with lots of pepper then put on your pastry. Pack as much as you can in as it does reduce in size, add small knobs of butter to keep it moist, fold over and crimp the edges. This takes some practice but fold it over with little twists.

Brush with milk. Bake in the centre of an oven on a greased tray at 200 degrees for 10 mins then 180 degrees for 30 mins.

Mine always come out perfectly

pasty.jpg

pasty.jpg

• 3 months later...

Agree with almost everything above except the puff pastry (IMHO). I think a home made shortcrust is easy and so much better texture.....

Put 70g lard & 70g butter with 100ml of water & 100ml of milk in a pan and boil. Measure 425g plain flour in a bowl, tspn salt and 2 egg yolks in a well then add the liquid. Mix. Chill for a bit then roll out to dinner plate size about 3 or 4mm thick. Stuff with highly seasoned filling and crimp as described. Then glaze with salted egg yolk wash.

Handsome !

Guest Relocate Northern Beaches

Not going to be terribly helpful to you but in Adelaide there is a version of a Pasty as LOTS of cornish migrants came to the area many moons ago to work in mines...you see lots of Cornish Names in the telephone directory. So maybe you could look on line

Secondly my Mum who lives in penzance has a hard time making them here in Sydney. She usually makes a whole batch and we freeze them then we have a little piece of Cornwall and Mum when she goes back from visiting us. If its warm she can't get pastry right as it goes soft so she either gets up very early when its cooler or she runs into trouble.

There is an English butcher in Ettalong, Central Coast. The Scots fare he sells isn't good, never tried anything else. There is a Scots butcher in Maroubra, Hills Butcher. They have an online store and there is a fellow who sells at Castle Hill markets. His haggis and white pudding are great.

Not quite right in my understanding. That ruling is only valid in the EU/Europe and has been put in place for no end of foods. Italian cured meats, French and English cheeses, pork pies and more. It can't be applied in Aus, it's an EU ruling.

Thats the last straw for me...im heading home to start a revolution to get out of feckn Europe..thats them bloody Frenchies...started with champagne...a cornish pasty is as much a style as in form as it is in origin...its been that way since they were invented for miners....why do we always cow tow to Europe stand up to em...Ive had it I really have...I am a lover of Europe but the politics give me a serious headache...and the British role over...where has our fighting spirit gone...stand up to em...if the French can say only champagne can be from champagne...the rest is sparkling wine...please...get a life...its a feckn cornish pasty next it will be french fries...:arghh: and these idiots get paid to make these rules...

Guest littlesarah

I just think it's amusing that anyone would to enforce the EU ruling in Australia, given the logistical difficulties of transporting a meat-based item to the other side of the world for a fairly small target market! Aussies will never give up their pie-love (and nor would I want them to)...

Gonna have to hone my pasty making skills before I get out there, I have been practicing. I eat at least 3 a week!

However, I am going to be controversial here and state that Devonian pasties are the way forward! Haha :happy_face_mummy_go

Archived