HR Manager - AIM assessment criteria

Guest Upping sticks

Hi

I received my assessment results today. As expected it was negative. While AIM says that the tasks performed meet requirements of the HR Manager Position as per the ANZSCO code. My role is deemed not strategic enough since the number of direct managerial reports are only one or two.

It is quite ridiculous to expect to have several ( what several means is not quite defined) managerial reports in a function which is essentially lean in most organisations and especially in Small to Medium Enterprises. Going by what they require, it would seem only CHROS of Fortune 100 companies will meet the requirements of HR Managers in Australia!

AIM seems to be a complete misnomer for an institution that does not seem to understand management.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your result too. Very dissapointing :( Are you going to apply through VETASSESS? We're just looking through all the info now and are trying to get all the relevant documents together. We are thinking of going with an agent to ensure we pass this skills assessment :)

Good luck, keep us posted with how you get on.

Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your result too. Very dissapointing :( Are you going to apply through VETASSESS? We're just looking through all the info now and are trying to get all the relevant documents together. We are thinking of going with an agent to ensure we pass this skills assessment :)

Good luck, keep us posted with how you get on.

Hi

We are waiting for my spouse to write her IELTS. The first time she wrote she scored above 8 in all sections save writing where the score went down to 6.5

so she will rewrite it later this month. If she gets more than 7 in all sections then we will apply with her assessment otherwise If not then I will look at Vetassess.

Guest Rkhalil

I am a new here and need some help, I am working as HR Advisor and intending to apply for the same title for immigrating to South Australia

Below are my duties , do you think they fit for the requirement of HR Advisor and they should be accepted as positive by VetAssess?

1-arranging for advertising of job vacancies, interviewing and testing of applicants, and selection of staff

2-maintaining personnel records and associated human resource information systems

3- providing advice and information to management on workplace relations policies and procedures, staff performance and disciplinary matters

4-arranging the induction of staff and providing information on conditions of service, salaries and promotional opportunities

5-receiving and recording job vacancy information from employers such as details about job description, wages and conditions of employment

6-providing information on current job vacancies in the organization to employers and job seekers

7-undertaking negotiations on terms and conditions of employment, and examining and resolving disputes and grievances

8-studying and interpreting legislation, awards, collective agreements and employment contracts, wage payment systems and dispute settlement procedures

9 -developing, planning and formulating enterprise agreements or collective contracts such as productivity-based wage adjustment procedures, workplace relations policies and programs, and procedures for their implementation

10-overseeing the formation and conduct of workplace consultative committees and employee participation initiatives

11-Participate in consultative process for the development and refinement of administrative policies and procedures.

12-Act as an advisor to Management on all human resources and administrative issues, providing expert advice and guidance to assist in the decision.

13-Provide input for appraisal of staff, upon request of supervisor, to assess individual performance against set objectives.

14-Provide a varying range of complex statistical report to support HR operations and management decision-making process.

15-Orient and train newly recruited HR staff within scope of assigned responsibility.

16-Supervise the initiation of a wide range of personnel administration paperwork (Contracts of service, leave action, status sheets, final settlement, etc.)

Your advice will be very helpful

Thanks in advance,

I am a new here and need some help, I am working as HR Advisor and intending to apply for the same title for immigrating to South Australia

Below are my duties , do you think they fit for the requirement of HR Advisor and they should be accepted as positive by VetAssess?

1-arranging for advertising of job vacancies, interviewing and testing of applicants, and selection of staff

2-maintaining personnel records and associated human resource information systems

3- providing advice and information to management on workplace relations policies and procedures, staff performance and disciplinary matters

4-arranging the induction of staff and providing information on conditions of service, salaries and promotional opportunities

5-receiving and recording job vacancy information from employers such as details about job description, wages and conditions of employment

6-providing information on current job vacancies in the organization to employers and job seekers

7-undertaking negotiations on terms and conditions of employment, and examining and resolving disputes and grievances

8-studying and interpreting legislation, awards, collective agreements and employment contracts, wage payment systems and dispute settlement procedures

9 -developing, planning and formulating enterprise agreements or collective contracts such as productivity-based wage adjustment procedures, workplace relations policies and programs, and procedures for their implementation

10-overseeing the formation and conduct of workplace consultative committees and employee participation initiatives

11-Participate in consultative process for the development and refinement of administrative policies and procedures.

12-Act as an advisor to Management on all human resources and administrative issues, providing expert advice and guidance to assist in the decision.

13-Provide input for appraisal of staff, upon request of supervisor, to assess individual performance against set objectives.

14-Provide a varying range of complex statistical report to support HR operations and management decision-making process.

15-Orient and train newly recruited HR staff within scope of assigned responsibility.

16-Supervise the initiation of a wide range of personnel administration paperwork (Contracts of service, leave action, status sheets, final settlement, etc.)

Your advice will be very helpful

Thanks in advance,

Hi

Prima facie it looks in line with the HR advisor job description. However you should go back and check the description as provided for HR Advisor under ANZSCO code. you can find the relevant description through the DIAC website.

Advise that you research thoroughly on the description, and go through requirements for VETASSESS assessment and get documentation prepared. you have to make sure that you have all the documents prepared such that they meet requirements.

VETASSESS takes time to assess and results take anywhere between four to six months. you have to plan accordingly

Guest DevontoOz

Hi All.

I've just posted in the HR (HIGH RISK) thread by mistake haha! I'm wondering if you can help us! My husband has worked in HR for the last 4.5 years - training and development (3 years) and currently internal communications (18 months). We would love to go to Oz and would like to appoint an agent asap (before new rules in July and my husbands 32nd birthday!). The trouble is we cant see where my hysbands job would fit in the SOL, although we're pretty sure it can fit in somewhere. Is this something that the agent will help us with or do we have to decide before we appoint one? There doesn't seem to be many HR professions looking to migrate.

Thanks

Hello there,

I made that mistake also - HR - high risk lol. I'm not realy sure I can help but have you tried looking at the state sponsorship lists? My OH is in HR but thats not on the main list but it's on the state sponsorship lists for WA & SA. I'm sure if you contacted an agent they would be able to advise which is the best way forward for you. We have just signed up with Go Matilda, they seem to have quite a few good reviews on here. You can also pay them just for the work they do, ie. if you only wanted them to help with the skills assessment they would charge you for just that part.....sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Guest DevontoOz

You did help, thank you! We'll definitely look at state sponsorship? Is your OH the main applicant? HR is a bit of a grey area I think - not much info out there (that we can see) . Good luck with your application. Let's keep in contact via this thread?

Thanks

Gemma

Hi Gemma

I've attached two links for WA and SA state sponsorship lists. HR Advisor is on both. I'm not sure that it will be relevant to your OH's occupation but you could check out the list to see if his is on there. The other states also have lists if you google you should find them. My OH is the main applicant, we are hopefully going to apply for state sponsorship for WA for HR Advisor. We are just collating the information for the skills assessment. Good luck, keep us posted! Clare

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/Pages/Occupationsindemand.aspx

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/applyonline/skilled/planning_level_status.php

Hi All.

I've just posted in the HR (HIGH RISK) thread by mistake haha! I'm wondering if you can help us! My husband has worked in HR for the last 4.5 years - training and development (3 years) and currently internal communications (18 months). We would love to go to Oz and would like to appoint an agent asap (before new rules in July and my husbands 32nd birthday!). The trouble is we cant see where my hysbands job would fit in the SOL, although we're pretty sure it can fit in somewhere. Is this something that the agent will help us with or do we have to decide before we appoint one? There doesn't seem to be many HR professions looking to migrate.

Thanks

Hi

Most agents provide initial advice on your eligibility which is usually free of cost. If you wish to use an agent make sure you speak to a MARA registered agent. They will usually look at your resume and let you know if your occupation is on the SOL or if is on any of the state sponsorship lists.

also go through the SOL lists and look for relevant position codes for training. I am not sure but there may be a separate code for training

Guest DevontoOz
Hi Gemma

I've attached two links for WA and SA state sponsorship lists. HR Advisor is on both. I'm not sure that it will be relevant to your OH's occupation but you could check out the list to see if his is on there. The other states also have lists if you google you should find them. My OH is the main applicant, we are hopefully going to apply for state sponsorship for WA for HR Advisor. We are just collating the information for the skills assessment. Good luck, keep us posted! Clare

Hi Clare

I think state sponsorship is a great idea. I'm glad to see that WA are looking for HR professionals. Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!

I hope it works out for you. Gemma

Guest DevontoOz
Hi

Most agents provide initial advice on your eligibility which is usually free of cost. If you wish to use an agent make sure you speak to a MARA registered agent. They will usually look at your resume and let you know if your occupation is on the SOL or if is on any of the state sponsorship lists.

also go through the SOL lists and look for relevant position codes for training. I am not sure but there may be a separate code for training

Thank you, thats good to know as we really dont want to get it wrong.

• 1 month later...
Hi Gemma

Hi Clare

Hope things have progressed on the HR Advisor Assessment with VETASSESS. My wife got her sponsorship to WA and we are now in the process of applying for the 176 visa. If all goes well we hope to be in Perth by end of the year!

Do let us know how things are progressing with your Hubby's assessment and application

Hi Clare

Hope things have progressed on the HR Advisor Assessment with VETASSESS. My wife got her sponsorship to WA and we are now in the process of applying for the 176 visa. If all goes well we hope to be in Perth by end of the year!

Do let us know how things are progressing with your Hubby's assessment and application

Wow, Congratulations!!

I bet that's a massive relief, getting your state sponsorship and visa in before July. Do you mind me asking how long did your state sponsorship take to come back? Who did your wife have to apply for a skills assessment to and how long did it take to come back?

We've taken on an agent to help with the skills assessment so hopefully we'll have covered everything this time! We've just submitted our application to VETASSESS yesterday and the doc's will be posted to Oz early next week. I'm really worried about the deadline in July and if they take HR Advisor off the lists. My agent said they have been told by VETASSESS that they are processing skills assessments within 12 weeks but I'm not so hopefull as every post I've read, people are stating 16 weeks or slightly longer.

There isn't anything we can do, so it's just wait and hope it doesn't change too much.

I'm really pleased for you, it's very exciting! Keep me posted with your progress so we have an idea of timescales.

Clare.

Wow, Congratulations!!

I bet that's a massive relief, getting your state sponsorship and visa in before July. Do you mind me asking how long did your state sponsorship take to come back? Who did your wife have to apply for a skills assessment to and how long did it take to come back?

We've taken on an agent to help with the skills assessment so hopefully we'll have covered everything this time! We've just submitted our application to VETASSESS yesterday and the doc's will be posted to Oz early next week. I'm really worried about the deadline in July and if they take HR Advisor off the lists. My agent said they have been told by VETASSESS that they are processing skills assessments within 12 weeks but I'm not so hopefull as every post I've read, people are stating 16 weeks or slightly longer.

There isn't anything we can do, so it's just wait and hope it doesn't change too much.

I'm really pleased for you, it's very exciting! Keep me posted with your progress so we have an idea of timescales.

Clare.

Western Australia took 7 days to approve the sponsorship. So that bit happens quickly. the assessment is the one that takes the most time. My wife got assessed by VETASSESS for recruitment consultant role. In our case it took 16 weeks. we submitted in August and got it in November. I am hoping that the rush has subsided and that you get the results in 12 weeks.

we are using an agent and now the visa application should be filed next week. As of now state sponsored 176 applications get a CO within 4 weeks and then in another 4 to 6 weeks one can hope for the visa to be granted subject to submission of PCC and Medicals

I really really hope that you get to beat the July deadline!

Hello Upping sticks

Hope you're well, I'm not sure if you will have read my last post but we failed the skills assessment for AIM HR Manager - my OH wasn't classed as senior enough :( Just wondering whether you have submitted your application for HR Advisor with VETASSESS and how long this took to be processed? I've had a look through and I think we probably have all the information we need but we'll just have to finalise it after Xmas.

Thanks Clare

I tried to warn you.

I tried to warn you.

I though you we're referring to the original post, not ours, never mind there isn’t anything we can do about it now.

Do you have any official information on how long VETASSESS skills assessments are taking to come back?

• 1 month later...
I though you we're referring to the original post, not ours, never mind there isn’t anything we can do about it now.

Do you have any official information on how long VETASSESS skills assessments are taking to come back?

Hi hope your VETASSESS assessments came through. And I hope you are progressing with the visa application. My update is that we got the grant! We will be landing in Perth on 24th June.

Lidged the application in march and we got the grant last week.

All the best with the applications!

Hello there,

Wow Congratulations! Well done on getting you VISA :) I bet you are so relieved that you have it and you are moving so quickly, it’s only a few weeks away. Good luck with the move over there, hope everything runs smoothly for you. Keep in touch and let me know what you think of Perth?

Well we have no update yet I’m afraid. We are still waiting for our VETASSESS skills assessment to come back, it’s been about 6 weeks now so we’ve got a few more weeks of waiting yet. I’ve been reading lots of posts on here and I’m really worried, I don’t think we are going to get everything finalised by July so we will have to try with Skill Select. I think WA are taking longer to grant SS at the moment and I’m also worried that they may close their applications for SS earlier than July like ACT have. We’ll just have to wait and see and cross our fingers that we’ll get a VISA eventually :)

Good luck again with the move. Clare

Hello there,

Wow Congratulations! Well done on getting you VISA :) I bet you are so relieved that you have it and you are moving so quickly, it’s only a few weeks away. Good luck with the move over there, hope everything runs smoothly for you. Keep in touch and let me know what you think of Perth?

Well we have no update yet I’m afraid. We are still waiting for our VETASSESS skills assessment to come back, it’s been about 6 weeks now so we’ve got a few more weeks of waiting yet. I’ve been reading lots of posts on here and I’m really worried, I don’t think we are going to get everything finalised by July so we will have to try with Skill Select. I think WA are taking longer to grant SS at the moment and I’m also worried that they may close their applications for SS earlier than July like ACT have. We’ll just have to wait and see and cross our fingers that we’ll get a VISA eventually :)

Good luck again with the move. Clare

Yes it does seem that WA is taking more time than usual. But from what i understand they havent been able to meet overall state sponsored targets. Hence they have now started allocating priority 5 state sponsored applications. So there still might be hope! I hope that assessment comes through soon and you get to file your application.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jngkhlang

I just applied for mine last month. Documents received 21st May 2012. Sat for IELTS on 26/05/2012. Any idea if Vetassess is quicker in its process?I met two guys at the IELTS test center and they got their positive assessment in 3 weeks although I forgot to ask if that was done by Vetassess.

Edited by Jngkhlang

Hello there our vetasess took about 9 weeks. It is much easier to provide the info for. If u decide to go with vetasess and need any help let me know. Good luck. Clare.

Hi Clare

Have you received your assessment results from VETASSESS. I hope it is positive and that you have already applied for state sponsorship! Do keep us posted on how your application is moving.

Hi Clare

Have you received your assessment results from VETASSESS. I hope it is positive and that you have already applied for state sponsorship! Do keep us posted on how your application is moving.

Hi Pradiprn

We have received our positive skills assessment with VETASSESS – Yeah! J

We have been on hols and have just got back so are filling out the state sponsorship application with WA.

We are trying to estimate the cost of living in the three chosen regions. I’ve checked out various websites and managed to get estimates for rent, some food prices etc. I wanted to ask if you don’t mind, how did you estimate your monthly cost of living? Did you take your monthly costs from where you live and then say it’s going to be XX amount more or did you take each monthly out going and then see how much it costs in the regions you have chosen? Might be silly question but some things are easier to find than others!

How are you getting on, when do you move? Are you moving to Perth? Have you managed to find a job out there yet?

Keep me posted with your progress. Any help you can offer for the application would be appreciated!

Thanks Clare.

Hi and well done Clare,

I'm a newbie and its great to find a real HR thread, as per previous hints at barking up the wrong thread.

Really encouraging discussion that provides a few pointers for me as I start my journey to secure a future in Australia.

I'm wondering how the new system will affect things - it is good that it opens up the possibilities for those over 40, but it does look like getting enough points might be difficult.

I'm targeting sponsorship as the only real route to securing a visa and the observations around HR Manager/HR Adviser were eye-opening.

Now off to find the relevant role descriptions!