HR Manager - AIM assessment criteria

Guest Upping sticks

Guest Upping sticks

Hi

I am a HR Manager hoping to gain a skilled Regional Sponsored Provisional visa to Oz.

The AIM criteria for the assessment of a HR Manager talks about 'senior functional management' and stipulates that the applicant must;

• have reporting responsibility for a number of managers who themselves manage a further group of managers
  • be the most senior functional person in the organisation

Whilst I consider myself to be a solid HR Manager, I do not meet the above criteria since my organisation is large and is not structured in this way.

Also, when I look at the ANZSCO criteria my skills and experience closely fit this criteria.

Are there any HR professionals who have experience of going through this process successfully who can advise me. I don't want to pursue the application if I have misunderstood and 'HR Manager' means 'Senior HR Manager' and I don't meet the criteria. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Upping sticks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I am a HR Manager hoping to gain a skilled Regional Sponsored Provisional visa to Oz.

The AIM criteria for the assessment of a HR Manager talks about 'senior functional management' and stipulates that the applicant must;

• have reporting responsibility for a number of managers who themselves manage a further group of managers

Whilst I consider myself to be a solid HR Manager, I do not meet the above criteria since my organisation is large and is not structured in this way.

Also, when I look at the ANZSCO criteria my skills and experience closely fit this criteria.

Are there any HR professionals who have experience of going through this process successfully who can advise me. I don't want to pursue the application if I have misunderstood and 'HR Manager' means 'Senior HR Manager' and I don't meet the criteria. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Upping sticks

Hello Upping sticks

Wow I haven't found many HR people on this forum, so it will be good to your view on things :) We are just finalising the information for the AIM which has been a very long and detailed process! My hubby is a HRD of a medium sized company and we are still a bit worried that we aren't going to cover all the criteria. It will be interesting to see if there are any other people that can help us out!

What state were you looking to apply for regional sponsorship? We were looking at either Victoria or WA. We've applied for state sponsorship with Victoria and are due to find out in November if we have been successful, they emailed the other day to say there was a delay in processing the application and couldn't confirm how long the delay was so we are just waiting now.

Good luck with your application!

Guest Upping sticks

Many thanks for your reply, it sounds like your husband is more senior than I am and so I am sure I would struggle with the AIM application. I will most likley have to fall back to HR Advisor which means that we are restricted to a regional sponsorship application to South Australia but the Adelaide area was one of our preferred places to be anyway so that isn't so bad. The appointed assessors for this region/job is VETASSES and their criteria looks a little less stringent and so my next step is to go ahead with this application.

I hope that gaining a visa on a HR Advisor position basis won't mean that I can only go for 'HR Advisor' positions when I am over there, I would obviously want to work as a 'HR Manager' if I can.

Its all so confusing at this stage.....my main focus now is to move fast........I would be gutted if they pulled the HR professions off the list!

Good luck and lets keep in touch with how we both get on!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

came across this thread through a search. I have sent my documents for assessment as HR Manager to AIM.

Frankly I am not too optimistic about my chances even though I have in my last two roles been part of the senior management team.

From what I have heard and read so far, it would AIM assessment is by far the toughest.

So waiting to hear from them by mid November. Fingers crossed!

Hi

came across this thread through a search. I have sent my documents for assessment as HR Manager to AIM.

Frankly I am not too optimistic about my chances even though I have in my last two roles been part of the senior management team.

From what I have heard and read so far, it would AIM assessment is by far the toughest.

So waiting to hear from them by mid November. Fingers crossed!

Hello pradiprn

We're in exactly the same boat as you, we posted our skills assessment to AIM and it got there this week so we're just waiting to hear back now. At least it's only 4 weeks to wait then I guess if we don't pass we'll have to have a look at the HR Advisor assessment. Can't believe it's such a long wait though.

Keep in touch it would be nice to hear how you get on, there aren't many HR people to ask advice from that I've come accross on PIO :)

Hi

Thanks,

Upping sticks

You are barking up the wrong tree.

Hello pradiprn

We're in exactly the same boat as you, we posted our skills assessment to AIM and it got there this week so we're just waiting to hear back now. At least it's only 4 weeks to wait then I guess if we don't pass we'll have to have a look at the HR Advisor assessment. Can't believe it's such a long wait though.

Keep in touch it would be nice to hear how you get on, there aren't many HR people to ask advice from that I've come accross on PIO :)

Yes indeed. I havent found many HR professionals around at all. Perhaps its because theres no demand for the skill apart from the state sponsored programs. Have you had a chance to understand the market dynamics for HR professionals in Australia? s

Yes indeed. I havent found many HR professionals around at all. Perhaps its because theres no demand for the skill apart from the state sponsored programs. Have you had a chance to understand the market dynamics for HR professionals in Australia? s

Hello there,

We're quite excited at the moment as HR is now on WA, SA and Victoria state sponsorship lists! My OH has registered with various recruitment websites and has weekly updates with job vacancies from NSW, VIC and WA so it does look quite promising providing we can get a visa :)

We went on hol to Oz last year and he met up with a few recruitment agencies while over there and they all basically said that if they have candidates over in Oz then they have to consider them first (fair enough) and companies generally aren't really willing to sponsor for HR Professionals, so really I think it is very unlikely we will be able to move to Oz unless we get state sponsorship.

Good luck with the visa / job hunt, keep in touch!

Clare

Hello there,

We're quite excited at the moment as HR is now on WA, SA and Victoria state sponsorship lists! My OH has registered with various recruitment websites and has weekly updates with job vacancies from NSW, VIC and WA so it does look quite promising providing we can get a visa :)

We went on hol to Oz last year and he met up with a few recruitment agencies while over there and they all basically said that if they have candidates over in Oz then they have to consider them first (fair enough) and companies generally aren't really willing to sponsor for HR Professionals, so really I think it is very unlikely we will be able to move to Oz unless we get state sponsorship.

Clare

Right! I was looking at vic and SA. I am from India and I keep wondering how relevant will my experience seem to be in Australia. I am considering enrolling for HR programs when I get there. Keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't received an acknowledgement yet from AIM. Hope to have some clarity by December.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there,

Clare

Hi

Just checking in to know if you have received your assessment results yet...I havent received an acknowledgement of receipt though its been a month since my agent sent the papers. Am worried now....

Hi

Just checking in to know if you have received your assessment results yet...I havent received an acknowledgement of receipt though its been a month since my agent sent the papers. Am worried now....

Hello there,

No we haven't received anything back yet either. We are due to get ours by 29th Nov. We haven't received acknowledgement and they haven't deducted the fee either. Have they deducted your fee yet? Could you ask your agent if this is normal for AIM? Maybe they are having a lot of applications at the moment and are taking longer than 4 weeks? I hope it's not too much longer though. Good luck, keep us posted. Clare

sent the payment as a demand draft. So no way of knowing if they have collected it. I understand that they start processing after they receive payment. Ideally I should have heard from them in this week....

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.048926,73.073280

Hello there

I've started a new post to see if anyone else has any experience in AIM skills assessments and the time frames to process. We've not heard anything yet and the four weeks is up next Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted.

Hello there

I've started a new post to see if anyone else has any experience in AIM skills assessments and the time frames to process. We've not heard anything yet and the four weeks is up next Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted.

Hi There!

Any news on your assessment results? I havent heard anything from AIM either. It is worrying/ The good news however is that my spouse received a positive assessment for recruitment consultant.

we plan to apply to Western Australia for sponsorship once she gets her IELTS score

And I continue to wait for AIM to respond....Hope you get good news soon!

Hi There!

Any news on your assessment results? I havent heard anything from AIM either. It is worrying/ The good news however is that my spouse received a positive assessment for recruitment consultant.

we plan to apply to Western Australia for sponsorship once she gets her IELTS score

And I continue to wait for AIM to respond....Hope you get good news soon!

Hello,

Congrats on your wife's positive skills assessment, at least you have other options to be able to get a VISA to Oz. Good luck! Hope the IELTS goes well, my OH did his a while back.

Well the four weeks timline for AIM was up Tuesday just gone and they finally took the payment from us and sent an email to say that it will take them 4 weeks to process the skills assessment :( So it looks like the turnaround is 8 weeks and not 4....I guess at least we know it's in progress now.

I'll keep you posted!

Hello,

Congrats on your wife's positive skills assessment, at least you have other options to be able to get a VISA to Oz. Good luck! Hope the IELTS goes well, my OH did his a while back.

Well the four weeks timline for AIM was up Tuesday just gone and they finally took the payment from us and sent an email to say that it will take them 4 weeks to process the skills assessment :( So it looks like the turnaround is 8 weeks and not 4....I guess at least we know it's in progress now.

I'll keep you posted!

That's more communication from AIM that I ever got...There's just no news despite repeated email reminders from my agent!

Right so AIM finally responded confirming receipt of application. They had already processed payment on 1st November so four weeks are already up.

They have mentioned in their response that they have an increase in applications and hence there is a delay in processing. They havent committed to any timelines though.

So its watch and wait.

• 3 weeks later...
Right so AIM finally responded confirming receipt of application. They had already processed payment on 1st November so four weeks are already up.

They have mentioned in their response that they have an increase in applications and hence there is a delay in processing. They havent committed to any timelines though.

So its watch and wait.

Hello there

Just thought I'd post - bad news :( we got the skills assessment back after about 7 / 8 weeks and we failed. Basically it stated that although my OH was a HR Director at his current company and the most senior level of HR they didn't class him as senior enough. He had just under 3 years at this level, previous to that he reported into the HRD. We have now got to decide if we are going to apply for the HR Advisor skills assessment with VETASSESS. I think we probably have all the information becuase we provided it for AIM. It's very dissapointing, we have also got to let Victoria know as we have applied for state sponsorship with them which won't apply anymore because HR Advisor isn't on their skills list.....just wondering have you found out how you have got on yet? Good luck if you haven't.

Many thanks for your reply, it sounds like your husband is more senior than I am and so I am sure I would struggle with the AIM application. I will most likley have to fall back to HR Advisor which means that we are restricted to a regional sponsorship application to South Australia but the Adelaide area was one of our preferred places to be anyway so that isn't so bad. The appointed assessors for this region/job is VETASSES and their criteria looks a little less stringent and so my next step is to go ahead with this application.

I hope that gaining a visa on a HR Advisor position basis won't mean that I can only go for 'HR Advisor' positions when I am over there, I would obviously want to work as a 'HR Manager' if I can.

Its all so confusing at this stage.....my main focus now is to move fast........I would be gutted if they pulled the HR professions off the list!

Good luck and lets keep in touch with how we both get on!

Hello Upping sticks

Hope you're well, I'm not sure if you will have read my last post but we failed the skills assessment for AIM HR Manager - my OH wasn't classed as senior enough :( Just wondering whether you have submitted your application for HR Advisor with VETASSESS and how long this took to be processed? I've had a look through and I think we probably have all the information we need but we'll just have to finalise it after Xmas.

Thanks Clare

Hello thereJust thought I'd post - bad news :( we got the skills assessment back after about 7 / 8 weeks and we failed. Basically it stated that although my OH was a HR Director at his current company and the most senior level of HR they didn't class him as senior enough. He had just under 3 years at this level, previous to that he reported into the HRD. We have now got to decide if we are going to apply for the HR Advisor skills assessment with VETASSESS. I think we probably have all the information becuase we provided it for AIM. It's very dissapointing, we have also got to let Victoria know as we have applied for state sponsorship with them which won't apply anymore because HR Advisor isn't on their skills list.....just wondering have you found out how you have got on yet? Good luck if you haven't.
HiJust read this. That's bad news... I haven't heard from AIM. All their last communication stated was that my case is with an assessor. They are off till 3rd Jan. So I guess its waiting till then.The Vetassess assessment is easier but it takes time. I suggest you apply as soon as possibleWill keep you posted when I hear from AIM

Hello there

Just thought I'd post - bad news :( we got the skills assessment back after about 7 / 8 weeks and we failed. Basically it stated that although my OH was a HR Director at his current company and the most senior level of HR they didn't class him as senior enough. He had just under 3 years at this level, previous to that he reported into the HRD. We have now got to decide if we are going to apply for the HR Advisor skills assessment with VETASSESS. I think we probably have all the information becuase we provided it for AIM. It's very dissapointing, we have also got to let Victoria know as we have applied for state sponsorship with them which won't apply anymore because HR Advisor isn't on their skills list.....just wondering have you found out how you have got on yet? Good luck if you haven't.

Hi

A question... two questions actually...When did you receive the results and was it over email?

Regards

Pradip