UK uni student funding

BeckiNick

Has anyone looked into this or got any ideas..im so confused!I have been here for 2 years i have studied the last year at Tafe and applied to go home to go to uni. I am just completing my uni choices and now i am super confused. It suggests that if you dont live in the country for 3 years before the course then you cant get funding?Is this right??I am a British citizen born there moved with Aussie partner over here when i was 23 now 25 I am on a partner visa. We moved just for a change but it was never for ever and now we both are ready to head back to the UK? Has anyone here applied for uk student finance after living out of the country? How do they prove it?Sorry for the questions but I would be ever so grateful for any response

Hi there

Not sure about this, I'm at Uni in the UK and receive student grants/loans, I also had to put where I had lived in the last 3yrs. For me though my situation was complicated, when I was in AU within those previous 3yrs I was on a spouse visa for one of those 3, then this was cancelled, and I was then on a tourist visa for 2 of those 3 years (I was there for a court case for my children to relocate back with me) so when I filled in my forms it was complicated but I was granted my finance.

I think the whole point of it is to show that you are living here and not just coming to the UK to study and claim finance then leave the country again without paying back. If I was you I would get as much evidence together to prove you are returning to the UK for good, otherwise you may not get support and you may even have to pay international student fee for the course.

Also bare in mind, next year 2012 is the first year where fees are going up :(

If I was you I would contact Student Finance England and ask them, here is the telephone number

0845 300 5090

or the address is

PO Box 210

Darlington

DL1 9HJ

You apply online, so once you've worked out what course your going on fill in online as soon as you can and you will receive an approval letter if all is OK, they will also get in touch with you if you need to provide further details.

Good luck

Also bare in mind, next year 2012 is the first year where fees are going up :(

Yes, but you don't pay for them until after you graduate and are earning a certain amount, so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a huge amount of difference when you actually attend uni.

I think it is. I recall a recent thread where the 3 year rule was discussed. IIRC you are classed as an international student or some such as you've been living overseas for over a certain period of time. Its a long standing rule.

I'd contact the uni direct that you wish to attend for clarification and costs etc.

Yes, but you don't pay for them until after you graduate and are earning a certain amount, so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a huge amount of difference when you actually attend uni.

True, if she CAN get student finance that is, if she can't get a fee loan then she will have to find the amount up front........ As for paying back the fee's, nothings changed really there - prior to the increase you still didn't have to pay back until you were earning a certain amount. Regardless of when it has to be paid back, the fee's have risen dramatically and it drives a divide between those who can afford it and those who struggle.

Some people have got away with it by proving that the move was only temporary - eg a placement with a firm, returning to the job you left and some evidence that the move was career enhancing or at the behest of the company etc. Otherwise, international student fees.

Archived