Rabies vaccinations and tests

Guest Casrp

Hi,

Just been reading about pets departing from the uk to Oz after January next year needing a rabies vaccination and then a rabies antibody test. As I understand it they need the vaccinations 4 weeks before the antibody test. They then need the antibody test 5 months before they leave the uk if they are to do the minimum 30days in quarenteen.

Now, as my pet is unlikely to be flying out before jan (even if by some miracle our house has sold and we are gone before then!), I am looking at getting this underway now. The test must be prepared (I assume this is the drawing of the blood sample) by a government approved vet, then sent to a government approved lab then the test preformed by the official government vet.

So my questions are how do I find out who these approved vets are? Can the rabies jabs be done at the same time as the other vacinations? Do the other jabs have to be done by the government approved vet or my normal vet? Is my normal likely to be approved?

Think I might go and join the thread for this worried about shipping their pets.....

You're welcome to join us in the 'panic thread' - no fear or worry is too absurd :)

Bob can probably answer your questions about rabies etc, but I just emailed DEFRA to find out who the LVIs were close to us. You could just ring your regular vet and find out from them (they should know).

It turns out our normal vet practice has two LVIs on staff - which made it much easier.

If you're local to me then I have a list :)

Guest MontyClaude

As far as I know (but could be wrong!) your vet can give rabies vaccinations along with normal vaccs, they can draw blood etc and fill in part A of the health export. The tests on the blood has to be carried out by a government approved vet and they sign the final "sign off" on export cert B. In my case I'm in Ireland so everything has been sent to Waybridge for testing and then we apply to Defra for the health export after they test the bloods and they come back clear - all going well. Sorry for going off topic a bit but I think the rabies is just an extra on top of this and should be the same procedure apart from the fact that the timeline for the tests is much longer.

Dear Casrp

If you call the vets and ask if they have an LVI they may not know what you are talking about. If you call and ask them can they do pet passports, then they do have LVI vets and they will be able to help you. Most practices do have a government approved vet or LVI, so you should be fine.

Thank goodness i was informed on here of this rabies vaccine being needed, i booked my dogs in straight away and they have had the 1st injection, my vet said a 2nd is needed which they are due to have tomorrow , is this right they need 2 jabs of the vaccine.

Generally they only need one vaccination. Some vets do recommend 2 vaccinations to be extra sure the pet will make enough antibodies, though the drug companies who make the vaccinations only recommend one.

We only give the little furries one vaccination when they come to us!

My vet said on the onset 2 vaccines so i never thought to question it, maybe as stated above it's just to ensure the pet makes enough antibodies.

Hi guys my dog had a rabies injection 4 weeks ago vet took blood last Monday and we got results today it's fine we get a certificate shortly in post to say blood levels are fine. My dog only had the 1 rabies injection before the blood was taken 3 weeks later.

Hi guys my dog had a rabies injection 4 weeks ago vet took blood last Monday and we got results today it's fine we get a certificate shortly in post to say blood levels are fine. My dog only had the 1 rabies injection before the blood was taken 3 weeks later.

Thats good to know to save anyone the extra expence, it was an extra 84 pounds for the 2 dogs this week on the 2nd vaccine , my vet said it would be 74 pounds for the blood test but i forgot to ask if this was for both dogs or each of them, if you don't mind me asking how much was your blood test . Ann

Hiya Liverpoolloo the rabies shot was £45 and the blood test was £105 £74 is good!! Did I get ripped off!?

Ain't it just weird how vets vary in price, hope my vet keeps her word on the price of the blood test as i have to have 2. She wasn't even sure they needed the blood test but as advised by my pet exporter i told her it had to be done so i have booked them in. I know it has to be done so no good griping but it's an expense i'm sure we could all do without, all in all for my 2 dogs the rabies has cost 340 pounds, but i had the expense of the 2nd vaccine which i don't think they really needed after reading your post.:arghh:

Hi there

My vet said that he read on the AQIS site that you should leave at least 4 weeks before testing the cat/dog after their rabies jab. He said they would usually wait around 3 weeks but the site said 4! We want to get our cat tested asap as we are supposed to be going in Feb so I'm guessing that so long as it's a positive test it doesn't have to be the 4 weeks? :huh:

I waited exactly 3 weeks, thats what my vet told me to do and thank God her test came out fine just gotta wait for certificate! Does anyone know if worst came to worst and we had to come back, now the UK is relaxing quarentine rules as of 1st Jan would my dog still have to do a long quarentine? Hoping that aint gonna happen though!!!!!!!

I waited exactly 3 weeks, thats what my vet told me to do and thank God her test came out fine just gotta wait for certificate! Does anyone know if worst came to worst and we had to come back, now the UK is relaxing quarentine rules as of 1st Jan would my dog still have to do a long quarentine? Hoping that aint gonna happen

though!!!!!!!

My son brought his dog over from oz in 2008 and so long as he had all the required vaccinations like we have to do for oz including rabies he did not have to do quarentine over here, as far as i know nothing has changed. We often laugh as Charlie cost $40 to buy and my son has spent a fortune shipping him over here then back again........we reckon he's worth every penny though.:smile: